|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> side can over windows

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fizikpal

East Northport NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been trying to track down a small leak this summer and think I have finally found it.

It appears that the small side windows on the cabover are leaking. Not where they meet the side of the coach but the window tracks themselves.

My two options are to replace the window (which makes me leery of a new leak occuring) or to caulk them up.

Any suggestions?

Tom

The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308
TOAD: 2003 Honda Civic
Sterling Tow Bar with Brake Buddy

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Severral threads on this. Some have been able to dismantle the moldings, clean the tracks, reposition everything, and all OK.
I caulked ours shut.

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

eric1514

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I caulked mine shut also. Rain whipped sideways by the wind or dripping from the immovable gutter above would fill the track and find it's way in. The windows don't open now but so what...I never used them anyway.

Eric

1999 24' Fleetwood Jamboree E350 towing a 2007 Hyundai Elantra

Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking of sealing our side windows shut also, is there a chance someone could post some pics showing how you did it, along with some explanation on just how,& what you used??? Thank you in advance!!!

eric1514

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duckaholic1 wrote:

I have been thinking of sealing our side windows shut also, is there a chance someone could post some pics showing how you did it, along with some explanation on just how,& what you used??? Thank you in advance!!!

Sorry, no pics, but it's really nothing tough. The small window slides back and forth in an aluminum channel and I just cleaned that channel out well and put a goodly sized bead of clear silicone caulk in there paying close attention to the bottom edge of the window effectively not allowing any water to enter that channel and seep in sideways through where the window is. The silicone never sticks all that well so it will be removable later if I care to but if I don't disturb it, water will continue to run off of it away from the window. At least it has so far.

Good Luck,
Eric

Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, thanks for the reply!! I'm in the process of sealing the tops & sides of our windows. I think I'll give it a try when I get to those windows!! Happy Campin' to ya!!!!

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the window tracks are leaking, try this.... The sliding side windows are supposed to drain down into the frame to the weep holes. They know they can't keep the sliding mechanism from seeping.

My Hehr windows have a lower track. Water is supposed to get into it and follow along it to whichever end is lower, then drop thru a small space at the end, thence to the weep holes. If your lower track has shifted to front or rear, this space may be closed up at that end. Just wedge a small screwdriver into the gap, and twist gently.

Jim, "Out of my mind... leave a message and I'll get back to you."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

If the window tracks are leaking, try this.... The sliding side windows are supposed to drain down into the frame to the weep holes. They know they can't keep the sliding mechanism from seeping.

My Hehr windows have a lower track. Water is supposed to get into it and follow along it to whichever end is lower, then drop thru a small space at the end, thence to the weep holes. If your lower track has shifted to front or rear, this space may be closed up at that end. Just wedge a small screwdriver into the gap, and twist gently.

Jim, "Out of my mind... leave a message and I'll get back to you."

To the OP. Before you start replacing and sealing up stuff try what the above forum member suggested!!

I had a bad leak from the window above the sink that seemed to be coming from the track too and was just about to seal it shut with silicone I was so angry! I took a look at those weep holes like he suggests and dang his advice is right on!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> side can over windows
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS