RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Rear camera....Where to mount the display??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rear camera....Where to mount the display??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Garand1

Central Ny

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone, I just got a rear camera system for my 96 Bounder and I am not sure where the best place to mount the display screen is. It's a Pyle PLCM7700 with a 7" display. For now I'm going to install the camera kind of high on the ladder side support looking down. It's got a 2nd camera input so i want to mount the 2nd camera(pretty inexpensive $20-$30) on the passenger side mirror looking down the right side of MH(yes I too am plagued by foggy window syndrome) I just cant figure the best spot the display screen. If you have a camera system.......how about posting a picture showing where your display is.

tsjoshua

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a video of a similar RV. The rear camera is mounted in the center of the RV. As for the monitor, mount it where you can easily see it, but where it will not block your view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsWgfH4fd4

USN Retired - ETC(SS/SW) - AFT VARIETY

Currently working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard
2005 Georgetown, 37'
2003 Jeep Wrangler

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on a slow connection'out in the sticks' or i would put up a new pic
I mounted mine under the over head cabinet on the drivets side
i mounted it in the left corner, lined up with the windshield post, but turned at angle facing me
it doesnt block any view of the road but its at eye level at about 45° left of center
i can see it with a flick of my eyes with out turning my head or taking my eyes completely off the road
easier to use than my mirrors, works extraordinary well
another plus is at this height there is No glare on the screen from the sun thru the drivers window or windshield

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not mount the screen...YET....mount your cameras temporarily as well as the screen. Use them for a few trips and then decide where the best place to mount them would be. This will give you an opportunity to tweek things a bit to where you like them. I don't like "redo"s on things that screw in....JMHO....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

shawnw

Desoto, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do some trial and error. Put it somewhere not perm and see if you like where it is after a few trips.

RV'ing is like ice cream. You just can't get enough of it.
However, I ended up eating too much ice cream so I had to go on the Scarsdale Diet because I had a big gut. LOL

99' Holiday Rambler DP, not too big, not too small.

Garand1

Central Ny

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was considering mounting under the tv like that one in the video, But, I dont like the thought of putting screws through the covering....I guess i could get past that if its a great place to mount it. Just looking for input whether most like mounted high below the Tv, or mounted on the dash.

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garand1 wrote:

Hi everyone, I just got a rear camera system for my 96 Bounder and I am not sure where the best place to mount the display screen is. It's a Pyle PLCM7700 with a 7" display. For now I'm going to install the camera kind of high on the ladder side support looking down. It's got a 2nd camera input so i want to mount the 2nd camera(pretty inexpensive $20-$30) on the passenger side mirror looking down the right side of MH(yes I too am plagued by foggy window syndrome) I just cant figure the best spot the display screen. If you have a camera system.......how about posting a picture showing where your display is.

I agree with trying temp mount for display until you find where it really works for you. You didn't ask, but my opinion on your 2nd camera is different. I have two rear and one side camera. I use both rear camera's a lot. One is adjusted close up for backing and hooking up the toad. The second one looks further behind the motorhome so it works like a true rear view mirror. I have a third side view on right, and almost never use it except when backing into a tight camp site. I thought that right side camera was going to be very helpful, but the mirrors always work better.

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

03 RoadKing

Summerfield NC 27358

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain, I pretty sure I'm going to be going through the same thing. On our last trip the Panasonic in dash unit that disapears stopped working. I should say the drive unit that opens and closes the screen stopped working, everything else still works. I doubt I will be able to get it repaired since it is 11 years old. I'm not looking forward to installing a new unit.

Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree you should mount it temporarily for the time being, one of the things I miss going from my 02 Allegro gas rig to my Phaeton DP, is now having the monitor mounted in the dash as opposed under the over head TV where it was in approximately the same position as a rear view mirror in a regular automobile.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Garand1

Central Ny

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to Best Buy today and they have a large no slip dash pad that I can mount the suction cup to. Thought I'd get that and try it one the flat part of the dash just to the right of the raised instrument cluster, & try it there for a bit. I really wanted to put it under the tv angled facing the driver but......... I really don't want to drill yet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rear camera....Where to mount the display??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS