|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Smaller truck campers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
lkg9071

wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who, if anyone manufactures small, lightweight campers? Not for std size US trucks, but more like Toyotas, foreign makes or the very small US branded trucks.
Thanks

Bigfeets

Paso Robles, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Camp-Lite campers, there is a thread on here about them. They are all aluminum look appealing to a small pickup.

2006 Duramax 3500LT DRW 4x4 EFI, Inglewood Trans, Dual Kennedy Pumps, Blocked & Rerouted,575hp, Protech Flatbed
2002 Bigfoot 9.6b

rottidawg

Mile High

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four Wheel Campers
All Terrain Campers

Aluminum framed pop up slide in campers.

2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The carrying capacity weight and dimentional wise is way too little to carry a TC that you could do little more than turn around in. Many are at max with only 1000 lbs in their bed that's less than a 3' high load. The small pickups you refenced do not do well with a high load in their bed as their wheel to wheel (L to R) distance is quite narrow and they become tippy quickly. Many who have owned the small Toyota class "C" etc that was offered years ago made very derogatory comments on the forums as to the handling on the road at 50 plus MPH and remember that they had dually wheels in the rear unlike the small pickups.
Perhaps, a small light popup TC may make more sense but they have their limitations as the how cold the temps are and where they are allowed due to aggressive large food seeking animals. Food for thought, haha, like don't feed the bears!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

MKish

SF

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also Phoenix, Northstar, and Hallmark. I'd double check the weights more than twice on all of them though. The sizes work but the weights are kinda borderline.

rottidawg

Mile High

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MKish wrote:

Also Phoenix, Northstar, and Hallmark. I'd double check the weights more than twice on all of them though. The sizes work but the weights are kinda borderline.

Agreed.

My Four Wheel Camper's sticker says 760 lbs and it is probably the lightest of the afore mentioned brands. At the scales with a few options (frig, dual batteries, furnace) it came in at 1,300 lbs dry and empty. Loaded and wet well over a ton.

My choice is a 3/4 ton truck. Go into this with your eyes wide open.

Dan L

MPLS, MN US

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, 700lbs of gear, what do you guys take?

I'm thinking a couple sleeping bags, a few clothes, a couple bags of food and fishing gear, a couple 100lbs max.

"came in at 1,300 lbs dry and empty. Loaded and wet well over a ton."

rottidawg

Mile High

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan L wrote:

I'm thinking a couple sleeping bags, a few clothes, a couple bags of food and fishing gear, a couple 100lbs max.

"came in at 1,300 lbs dry and empty. Loaded and wet well over a ton."

Loaded would include me, wife, 100 lb dog, 22 gal H2O, beer, ammo, and bacon.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20 gallons of water is 170 lbs. Add 2 people to that water and you have 500 lbs already. Clothing, pots & pans, food, utensils, towels, etc. It all adds up.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Just the two passengers will weigh in at close to 350 ~ 400 LBS ! Then, as the poster above mentions, add 170 ~ 200 LBS of water (and that's not much water!), you're up to close to 550 ~ 600 LBS payload, then, your sub half-ton is cooked. Its nearly at absolutely max capacity without adding a family tent and kitchen tent (add those tents, and you'll be at 700 LBS or more; add a truck camper not made from titanium and Spectra skin, and you'll be 400~500 LBS over).

I agree with Travelnutz: forget any sub half ton truck, if not for the very precarious high-elevation load dynamic, for your potential driving anxiety (sanity) with overload on such a narrow frame attachment spread.

If at all possible, and you are on a very tight budget, consider a used half-ton pick-up (there are lots in the $5500 ~ $8000 range out there now), then go for a small ultra-light camper.

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Smaller truck campers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS