|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling West from Gulf Coast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
judis

Foley, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I will embark on our trip of a lifetime in February2013.
We will leave the Gulf Coast in Alabama with our 37 foot fifth wheel in tow and arrive in California mid March to view whale migration.
We will slowly make our way back staying in Las Vegas, Utah, Arizona,and other places of interest.
Any suggestions of routes, campgrounds, tips to keep in mind for such a long trip would be greatly apprciated.
We will be staying in or near SF for 2 weeks and I'm having difficulty finding a campsite with decent reviews. Any suggestions?

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have time you should go up through the Redwoods and up the Oregon coast, however if you leave the coastal area in the Northwest you could hit Winter weather that time of year. There is so much to see you could spend months in California alone.

There is a lot to see in Utah, if you like big rocks. Monument Valley is one of my favorite places. Don't miss Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon or Canyonlands. I'm sure the Grand Canyon is on your list.

Camping around SF is something I avoided. Can't help there.

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

sealevel ram

San Mateo, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a lot of territory with so many interesting places.
We have been to CA many times, and my suggestion (opinions will vary) for a route out is: Mobile to Jackson, then I20 to Ft. Worth, then US 287 to Amarillo and I40 west.
We stayed at a park in SF. Don't recommend it.
Love the area north of Santa Barbara (lots of wineries) to Morro Bay. But depends on your tastes. Also the Lone Pine area on 395 to Lake Tahoe. May be too cold in March.
Take your time and have fun.

* This post was edited 08/19/12 08:10pm by sealevel ram *

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

judis wrote:

we will be staying in or near SF for 2 weeks and I'm having difficulty finding a campsite with decent reviews. Any suggestions?

you don't have a lot of choices.
if you don't mind KOAs, the Petaluma KOA is popular.
Napa has a couple of nice RV parks with hookups.
Pleasanton has a RV park at the fairgrounds.
avoid Candlestick RV park!
SF RV Resort in Pacifica is well liked but expensive.

that's about it.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

judis

Foley, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We will
be in no hurry on this trip as I am retiring and will
be on no schedule.
Any campground with full hook ups that you would recommend in Utah?

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 12:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you give us places or cities you want to see along the way - then it will be easier to suggest campgrounds? Do you like hiking, museums, cities, breathtaking countrysides? Asking for a good campground in Utah isn't very helpful but we'll try.

You did mention San Francisco and we would recommend staying north of the city. Someone mentioned Napa and Petaluma which would be good. You can drive to the ferry dock near San Rafael and pick up a cheap, fast, scenic ride which will let you off at Fisherman's Wharf. (Google the San Fran ferry for more info) You won't even have to drive into the city. From there I would highly suggest you take a small van tour of the city. It will even take you across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. This is the tour company we used and the tour was excellent and in a small group. After the tour you will be let off again at Fisherman's Wharf where you'll take the short ferry back to your car. It's an excellent relaxing way to see the city.

San Francisco Tour

Here's a link to Napa Country Fairgrounds RV Park:

Napa County Fairgrounds RV Park-Calistoga Campground

Unfortunately, RV parks really close to the city are hard to find and you really don't want to drive your RV into that congestion!

For "Utah" I would suggest you tour the southernmost national parks - Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands but don't try to see them by parking in one spot. Move to each of the park's areas. Driving is too great otherwise. We prefer to stay IN the parks themselves but there are plenty of RV parks just outside the parks.

For Arizona, Grand Canyon Nat'l Park is a must. For your first time I would recommend the South Rim and staying IN the park at Trailer Village. It has full hookups and you can pick up the free shuttle bus right outside the campground. The campground is very near the rim (oops - well not THAT close!)It would give you a very scenic relaxing stay.

There are many, many wonderful things to see in the western states you've chosen. Have a great trip and the fun part is the planning!!

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We opted to stay in Rio Vista along the river - and ride the BART into SF. Worked for us, as we were coming up from Yosemite.

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One that can help with suggestions is what kinds of things interest you? The variety we have of things to do in CA is huge so some guidance might help. As others have stated the SF area is pretty dismal for camping. Do you want to near the city for the 2 weeks or are you going to use that as a base to explore from? If a base then what you are interested in seeing will help on suggestions. Many places south, east and north of the city that are great for exploring from depending on your interests.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

judis

Foley, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all of the great information. We may never come home once we get on the road!

We will use the campsite near SF for our base and will travel to Sonoma Valley, Muir Woods, Carmel. I am considering the Pacifica RV Park. Would like some opinions from those who have stayed there.

As for our "like" we enjoy viewing wildlife and hiking so sounds like many opportunites.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling West from Gulf Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS