|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> GPS... Giant Piece of S&!#

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
trucker495

Linden, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my garmin. I still check my atlas just to keep the GPS honest. I rarely have a problem.

04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my 4 year old Garmin every week for work as I travel the entire US. I love it and can no longer imagine life without it.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Jacksons

columbus,ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a gpsr is just a tool the the operator has to learn to use

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set my GPS up for truck routs and it routed me down a road I know far too wall.. I also know the road is posted NO COMMERCICAL VEHICLES ALLOWED.

I.. actually prefer to do my own routing... I wound up doing the route on paper than lying it into the GPS by using waypoints, I use the GPS for navigation because my havigator is not that good at reading.. If I were heading west into say Nebraska, and ask her what exit to take for Oahama,, by the time she found it I'd be in Wyoming.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ANewCreation

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technology is wonderful but nothing beats an old fashioned map.

Camper Mama Bear

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Garmin...it likes sending us the "shortest" route. Generally hubby figures out the highways he is going to take before we leave home, plugs the destination address into the GPS and mutes it. The GPS tells us where the next rest area is. And if we get off the highway by several turns we use it to get back on. Then once we get to our destination exit we use the GPS to get to the destination. But for the main highways, haven't found anything other then our own route planning to keep us on the highways we want.

Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 11:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in Virginia and wanted to drive scenic backroads instead of the Interstate so had it set for shortest route, worked fine for the most part. Didn't use it for several months then picked up our fiver in Kansas. On the last leg of our return trip I turned it on as we had gone off our outbound route for a Missouri State Park campground. I had looked at a map the night before so had an idea of the route back and thought the right turn was a bit short of where I anticipated it. Turned out the road we were led down was to a no longer operating Ferry across the Mississippi River. The road got narrower as we drove on a levee and finally came to a sign stating, "Ferry Closed". Had my first challenge, turning around a 35 ft fifthwheel on a 20ft wide gravel road with good 20+ drop offs on each side. Lucky I found two opposing farm equipment access drives down to the fields. I do have to admit that turnaround did much for my confidence. No more GPS for me pulling the fiver I use google and paper maps and try to stay on truck routes.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jacksons wrote:

a GPS is just a tool the the operator has to learn to use

Pretty much sums up the OP's dilemma.
GPS is just a tool . Never rely on it 100% without some type of cross reference or verification. Especially if you are in a unfamiliar area.
I would also recommend stick with the main routes while towing and pay tolls as required unless you personally know of an alternative route. Don't trust the GPS to lead you off the highway unless you are approaching your destination.
A GPS is a great tool it just takes time to understand and adjust to their quirks

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Playtime II wrote:

I know not to rely on them but...
I planned our route from N. VA to Six Flags, NJ on the laptop using Google and Mapquest the night before departing (Basically I-95 all the way). Given those tool's responses, we found an acceptable time loss for going on a non-toll route. The next day we headed out in the F-150/33' TT with OEM Navigation. I loaded the destination then selected non-toll optional preference. So far, so good. I get up to the Washington Beltway and the GPS tells me to continue straight on I-395 and not take the I-495 beltway around DC (which is I-95). Thought it was strange but pressed ahead. Before I figured out I was screwed, we were heading across the 14th St bridge into DC. I'm driving in downtown DC on a Friday morning. The only way out was to continue the routing to US-50. I cannot believe I made it through DC without hitting anything or anyone. Before I can catch my breath, the GPS is telling me to take the BW Parkway North. I can't as they do not allow trucks on the Parkway. Rerouted again! Approaching Baltimore but I recall from this site that they do not allow ANY LPG cylinders in their tunnels. Of course I see the sign to use I-695 too late to make the exit. I end up in downtown Baltimore' inner harbor. Having had enough fun for a month, I turned on the "use Toll roads" option. DE and NJ were not cheap but not exciting. At times I kept seeing signs; "No Trucks over 5T". I just shrugged my shoulders and pressed on.

Other than buying a commercial trucking GPS, is there an Android App for planning future East Coast trips?

Hoping for signs of how to go arouOf course I find this out after I

I think you might be expecting too much from your GPS ... it is just another tool in your tool box to aid you. It is not really set up for RVers so ...

1. Don't expect it to address potential tunnel restrictions

2. I always plan my trips on my computer using MapSource and then when I'm happy and comfortable with the route do I load it into my GPS. To simply get in your RV and select a destination as you found out can be littered with "land mines" so to speak.

3. It has to make assumptions and generally uses the most optimistic conditions and doesn't account for HUGE TOWED COMBOS nor for potential rush hour type traffic problems or road restrictions. That's why is took you over the 14th St bridge and up to the GW Parkway and then into Baltimore. Under ideal conditions that is the fastest route from the DC beltway and I-95 to the Baltimore area.

4. You have to apply a "HEALTHY DOSE" of common sense when using your GPS "ON THE FLY". I have run into more than one occasion where my GPS wanted to take me thru a metro area vs. the existing by-pass.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 11:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

I also try to use Google maps to look at possible stops and refueling stations.

I do the same and at times have found both Google Earth or Map Quest "street view" as being good to really check things out. These two programs are very helpful when staying at a new to you CG so you can assess the general area and layout of the CG and the surrounding area.

Larry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> GPS... Giant Piece of S&!#
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS