|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> GPS... Giant Piece of S&!#

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Really

In The Woods

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim-Linda wrote:

If you will google "sending MS&T's to Garmin" it will instruct you how to do Just that.

Jim

Wow, great advice! My GPS and I have a love/hate relationship, but this will really help me plan better routes and use the convenience of the turn-by-turn instructions. I like being able to see my route on a map to make sure it makes sense, but I really like the GPS telling me when to anticipate a turn and what it will look like.

Here's a link I found, for others who are interested:
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/send-route-to-gps.aspx

Dandy Dan

Findlay, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Playtime II, I purchased a Rand McNally 7710 GPS that is specifically made for RV'ing. It has different settings for what type of unit, length, propane amount, road type,height, etc. Also has a car setting for when you do not have the trailer. They also make a smaller version of this with a 5" screen. So far it has been quite reliable. It is not the cheapest GPS on the market but worth looking into. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 (the rescue) Sarah (the rescue)
and Beau (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2005 Dodge QuadCab 2500 4x4 Hemi
2009 Open Range 337RLS
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I appreciate these threads as an important reminder to not be 100% trusting, because my GPS is extremely helpful 95%+++++ of the time, and provides lots of very nice extra information (resturaunts, gas stations, distance to go, arrival times)

If the government shut down the sattelites today, I'd be just fine with a Rand McNalley, but "the toy" (and I don't mean that as a cruel jab) is a really nice addition to travel and navigation.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

The preferences on a GPS are simply not mine.

I pre-determine our route before leaving, write it out, and carry good old-fashioned paper maps in case there is an issue along the way. Once I'm near a location, and while I travel locally, I'll use the GPS.

x2 -- this would be my exact response.

some of the roads my (I call) hubby's girlfriend have put us on unbelievable crappy road situations.

DRM796

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dandy Dan wrote:

Playtime II, I purchased a Rand McNally 7710 GPS that is specifically made for RV'ing. It has different settings for what type of unit, length, propane amount, road type,height, etc. Also has a car setting for when you do not have the trailer. They also make a smaller version of this with a 5" screen. So far it has been quite reliable. It is not the cheapest GPS on the market but worth looking into. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

X2.

We received the Rand McNally 7710 as a gift this past christmas. So far we have been very pleased with it. We have even used it for destinations that we new how to get to, but it took us a different way because of the rv info we input into the unit. Have not been dissapointed with route choice to date. Also has all the Woodall listings and other campgrounds as well as rest stops, rv services. dumpstations. diesel fuel locations.....and lots of other features. Well worth the money.

2012 Wildcat 313RE
2004 Chevy 2500hd crewcab long bed Duramax/Allison

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did I ever get from Downtown San Berdo,Ca to downtown Charleston,S.C. thru southern Indiana back in '70 without a gps. WOW. Or better yet how did I get to San Berdo from southern Indiana in '67. Amazing the progress we have made in navigation. JMHO.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2005 Montana 2955 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> GPS... Giant Piece of S&!#
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: