|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Monaco Vesta

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lee_RV

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any experience with these yet? Its a front engine class A diesel, that supposedly gets 14 MPG. I like the floor plan and know it would work for me but also know I could get a 06/07 Newmar Dutch Star for similar money as a 1-2 year old Vesta. I believe the Vesta will pull 7000lbs, which is fine too.

Just looking for the inside scoop on those I guess

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the info - it's expensive and doesn't have "diesel" features like air brakes or supension. I believe it's on the only remaining Workhorse platform - don't expect these to be around long.

The DS is the real deal - obviously, much more coach!

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry - I must have confused the Vesta RoadMaster chassis with information on the Workhorse diesel chassis (also a Navistar product). Many people are downsizing from DP's and are happy. The DS and Vesta are different RV's - especially in tankage.

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lee_RV wrote:

Ahhhhh....So its basically a gasser rig with a diesel engine, the engine itself a whole other ball of wax (used extreme EGR instead of def but for 2013 they are retrofitting the engine for a Cummins sourced def system) from what I just found online.

Oh well, Maybe they will make a 38-40' DP with that body and a Cummins in the future.

The Maxxforce 7 and Maxxforce 10 engines used by Monaco are EPA compliant engines and will not be using DEF in the next couple of years, that may change when they 2014 emissions come into effect, but for now they will remain as is.

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

webhannet wrote:

I looked at the info - it's expensive and doesn't have "diesel" features like air brakes or supension. I believe it's on the only remaining Workhorse platform - don't expect these to be around long.

The DS is the real deal - obviously, much more coach!

I don't know what you read but the Vesta does have full air brakes, air bag suspension and air leveling. This coach and the Dutch Star are very different but the Vesta is certainly high quality. I have a friend who just traded an '08 Allegro Bus for a '12 Vesta. He is very happy and I assure you he would disagree about the "much more coach" statement.

There is an active Vesta owner thread going on over at IRV2.com in the Monaco forum. Go read it and ask questions.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

Lee_RV

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhhhh....So its basically a gasser rig with a diesel engine, the engine itself a whole other ball of wax (used extreme EGR instead of def but for 2013 they are retrofitting the engine for a Cummins sourced def system) from what I just found online.

Oh well, Maybe they will make a 38-40' DP with that body and a Cummins in the future.

tderonne

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A real world example for the Vesta fuel economy:

Real Fuel Economy of the Monaco Vesta

And if you don't feel like reading.... just over 11 MPG over 20,000 or so miles.

* This post was edited 08/23/12 11:33pm by tderonne *

Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the Dutch Star. We visited the Newmar factory two months ago and were very impressed with how they build the rvs. There is one production line for all units, from 5th wheel, to entry level gas, to top of the line Essex and King Aire. When the work at one station is done, the rv is moved to the next station. The same people work on all the units, the only difference being the level/quality of the items placed in/on the rv. DW says our next rv will be a Newmar.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd buy it if I could. Nice coach.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Lee_RV

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went and checked out a Vesta a couple days ago. Certainly a nice rig for weekend camping or 1-2 week vacations but not something I'd want to full time out of, even by myself. They had an Avanti in the showroom too, and the Vesta was IMO nicer, but I am still going to aim for a lightly used diesel pusher instead.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Monaco Vesta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS