RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Winter living in a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Winter living in a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
4DESERTRATS

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking for opinions on which toy hauler brand to purchase that will be able to withstand Colorado winters. The toy hauler more than likely will be a temporary home for us while we transition into retirement. Ideally a 35-40' trailer (with garage) is the size we are aiming for. Currently we own a Weekend Warrior FS2500 and know that this particular trailer is not winter-friendly.

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, you will have to do some research on finding a toy hauler that are winter friendly. That back door will be a killer in winterizing your unit. If you find one, be prepared to have a 100# propane tank for your heating needs. In fact you might need 2, due to the high demand your heater uses propane. If on a good electric grid, invest in that type of space heaters.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

2Fliers

Where we are parked

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excel's Wild Cargo has a "-10 degree guarantee". We've not been in an area that cold, but have been down into the 30s. There's a sliding glass door between the main area and the garage, and when it's open the furnace does a good job of keeping everything toasty warm.

Mary Gail and Bobby
2008 F450
2010 Excel Wild Cargo, with a Dyna Low Rider and Road King Classic in the garage

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the December 2011 issue of Trailer Life, where on page 56 is an article on how a couple lived in a 5er thru a Colorado winter. Theirs was a Kit Sportsmaster 5er but they had to do a lot of modifications to make it winter proof.
You can also find it online if you do a Google search for `our winter rv adventure, trailer life'.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northwood Mfg does a good job on it's Nash line of TT's and Arctic Fox TC's, but I don't know if it applies to their Desert Fox line of haulers.

We ran two electric heaters in our Weekend Warrior instead of the propane heat when on 50A service and were always warm. Where there was only 30A service, we had to turn off one of the heaters to use the microwave, toaster oven or hairdryer. One heater was oil filled with a 500w and 1500w setting that ran all the time at the lower setting in the rear of the hauler and the other one was a 1500w forced air that was used to warm up the bath and kitchen to prevent lines from freezing. I ran foam insulation on all the interior water lines and only left the pump exposed. You will need to crawl through your storage spaces and remove cabinet drawers to get to pipes. I removed the the outside shower fascia to get to hidden section and installed a cutoff valve inside the bathroom to the supply for the pressure wash and outside shower lines. The only lines I did not insulate were to the shower, but they ran close to the refrigerator and kept above freezing as long as the refrigerator ran. When towing the hauler in freezing temperatures I had to leave the propane heater running or the generator going with an electric heater strapped to a tie down to prevent wind chill from freezing everything inside.

Arctic Fox 811S-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for details of a short bed TC on 9' deck.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd second what Bedlam said, the Desert Fox line is pretty well insulated. However they dropped their big 5th wheel unit a few years ago.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to make sure everything is in enclosed and heated space inc the dump valves. If KZ toyhauler is built the same as my TT then you would be good with one of thiers.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would cover the ramp door with the foam insulation boards.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

campinghut

Carstairs Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Cyclone did well in -20c (-5f) weather nothing froze and I see for this year they added a Yeti package and that should help. The floor in the garage is not insulated so I ran an electric heater in there and used the furnace for the rest. Power is a must, was hard without but can be done. Skirting around the bottom would help greatly. I would maybe look at a New Horizons next time if money was not an issue.

Tim And Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
2012 F350

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any unit can be make live-able and comfortable but it helps to start with a unit that already has some stuff going for it like covered and insulated belly, heated tanks, dble pane windows etc. Finding and stopping air leaks, insulating water pipes from exterior panels, warm air flow into cupboards, pantries and storage areas etc.

Challenging but hardly impossible. Do a LOT of winter camping.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Winter living in a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS