RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Question for electricans.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question for electricans.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DKean

Mays Landing NJ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be selling our fifth wheel soon. We have a 6500 watt generac generator mounted in the bed of the dually. It is in a diamond plate box.Like the tool box. So it is weather proof. It puts out a constant 54 amps. The generator does not have its own battery so it is wired to the two truck batteries. I would like to have the generator set up on a pad next to our garage. Then I could keep the battery in the garage and on a trickle charger. Thats what I do now.The two batterise in the truck are on the trickle chager all the time.

I would have an electrican do the install for me. We could run the cabels under ground (20 ft) into the basement and over to the panel. Have him install an automatic transfer switch.and what ever else is needed to keep everybody safe and leagel.

Now my question is I want the generator to supply the whole panel so we can manage the distrubition of power our selfs. I know the generator will not power our whole house. But with carefull management it should get us through an outage. The last one was 5.5 days. The generator is gasoline and has a 12 gal tank. That will give us 20+ hrs. The 5.5 day outage we last had we were still able to go twenty miles to the next town for gas. The generator also has a remote start so at night I can start it from the bed.

We traded our truck and fifth wheel for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. (8-30-13)Haven't used them in almost a year.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be a problem at all. You'll need some extra equipment like a transfer switch.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

DKean

Mays Landing NJ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do have natrual gas so that will work just fine. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Thanks.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend purchasing an ammeter (AC uses a coil that slips over the hot wire) and place the ammeter where you can eyeball it once in awhile. The wires that connect the pickup to the meter are a pair of 18 gauge even for long runs.

With gas heat and stove you should be in like flynn, but then if you have natural gas a thought might be given to converting the prime mover. You'll end up with 80% of the horsepower, but no fuel worries and the motor oil stays clean. Run it day and night 'till the cows come home.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still not sure what the question is.

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get one of these for what you want to do this will be perfect and legal. You don't need a expensive transfer switch.

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!

buzzard616

Medicine Hat, Ab, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yaj wrote:

Get one of these for what you want to do this will be perfect and legal. You don't need a expensive transfer switch.

Yaj, that gadget makes too much sense to be legal. It's too logical .

Stu

Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

There are now whole house transfer switches that are attached at the power meter. I do not know the price, but installation is a breeze compared to a transfer switch.
This might vary by state and/or power company. In my situation, the device is supplied by the power company and carries a monthly charge, to which I say "no thanks". Too bad, it is an elegant solution.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There are now whole house transfer switches that are attached at the power meter. I do not know the price, but installation is a breeze compared to a transfer switch.

You may find you can run more than you think on the generator.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two options...

I used a manual transfer switch panel, this sub panel had separate switches for each branch circuit switched. It also had watt meters (not really needed but very enlightening)

Option 2 is simular

Main panel feeds the transfer switch via a 50 amp breaker which in turn feeds a SUB panel with the priority loads (Furnace, Fridge, Freezer, TV/Radio/Computer, selected lights, water pump if you pump your own, Air Conditioner)

In my case the A/C did not go on the E_panel since it was 240 volt and the generator was 120 But the furnace did.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question for electricans.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: