|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Arizona Snowbird Location with Fishing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jetcare

RV Repairman - South Fork CO in the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have wintered in Mission, TX for the past four years so have no experience with Arizona locations. We have been asked for some good fishing locations in Arizona for a three month stay this coming December, January and February. Can anyone recommend a Snowbird location in Arizona for an avid fisherman?

2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer
2010 Ford F350 Super Duty 4X2, SRW, 6.4L

daddyrvpilot

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Yuma, AZ and there are a few lakes and canals in the area. Lots of snow bird traffic through here too. Stay away from northern AZ, I've heard there is too much regulation over the lakes up there.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 5th Wheel
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD w/8.1L
2 kids (2 1/2 & 4mo), 2 dogs, 1 patient and loving wife.

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One Caution,

In AZ all fish are catch-able but NOT ate-able. Check locally & State agencies to make sure you can eat the fish because of farming & mining runoff! Fish are like a big sponge when it comes to contaminates. In a past role in life, we used local fish flesh/meat to measure the level of every contaminate known. Be careful of the fish in the Colorado River in Yuma. Yes, I have completed past sampling there but that was years ago. For the Colorado, the Dept of Water Resources in Sacramento is a good source, I know for a fact they use to take samples. Maybe not any longer with budget issues but do take the time to find out if local fish is safe to eat.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

* This post was edited 08/21/12 05:57am by rocmoc *

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, Northern AZ has the same regs as the rest of the state.

In the winter time you will want to stay out of the mountains as we do get snow. In Southern AZ south of Tucson there are 4 fishing lakes I know of. 3 of the lakes' fish are safe to eat. Here are a couple of sites that will help.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/where_fish.shtml

http://www.aa-fishing.com/az/arizona-map.html

A really nice park central the lakes I mentioned is De Anza RV Resort in Amado, AZ. We have friends from Idaho staying the winter in this park and they love it, plus we are nearby.

http://deanzarvresort.com/

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

* This post was edited 08/21/12 05:59am by rocmoc *

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Roosevelt Lake and any of the lakes down stream are also great. As for the warning we get the same thing here on the Great Lakes and if they're cleaned properly there is no problem. We use to camp at Apache Lake when we lives in AZ.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the spot roosevelt lake az by globe az , huge bass and crappie , theres a CG about three miles from the lake spent a mon there full hook up and the cleanest restrooms I,ve ever seen ,a bait shop and store outside the gate , I gotta ask my wife the name ,

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harold1946, Yeah just because I worked & was trained in the field makes me an alarmist. Eat on friend!

Looked at the map and none of the lakes in the South are listed so here are the four I know, Arivaca Lake, Parker Canyon Lake, Patagonia Lake & Pena Blanca Lake. Arivaca Lake is the only one of the three you can't eat the fish when I was last over there. I will be kayaking the lake on Friday and will check if anything has changed. A couple million dollars was spent over the last two years cleaning Pena Blanca Lake so now the fish can be consumed (all new restock). Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about!

I'm not picking on Arizona or California. You should always check to see it the fish are safe to eat no matter where you are. You would be surprised how many USA rivers & lakes don't meet safe water standards. Fish amplify the safety issue. They are at the top of the food chain and absorb all the contaminates of everything they eat. AND then we eat them, LOL! Also the advisories tend to be downplayed, been there and fought for accurate reporting.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico (retired Water Resources Engineer, one of my areas of training)

* This post was edited 08/21/12 06:59am by rocmoc *

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to the advisory, http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/water/assessment/download/fca.pdf

Once an advisory has been issued it remains in effect no matter the age. The advisory only changes after work / dollars are spent to clean up the problem and this may mean a mine site or farming upstream from a body of water. It takes YEARS!

Hope this helps. Again, this is not just an issue here in AZ. It is Nationwide! New Orleans use to have the best tasting water in the USA but not safest to drink. There are many perimeters to the issues of water safety. I finally went into Fiber Optic Engineering because of my conflict with inaccurate or incomplete reporting to the public. Got tired of beating my head against the wall, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc is being a bit of an alarmist. The amount of fish that one would have to be consume to have an affect on an adult would be in excess of 5-8oz. meals per month. The Arizona Game and Fish Dept. has all the advisories at www.azgfd.gov

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You missed a couple more that have warnings. Lynx Lake and Granit Dells.
But the amount that one would have to consume is quite high. I would think that with your training you would also have that knowledge.
The warnings are clearly posted at all the lakes concerned, all one has to do is read.
With the way you are stating it one would get the impression that eating fish will kill. Maybe a better choice of wording would have not made you seem like an alarmist.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Arizona Snowbird Location with Fishing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS