RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flat Screen TV with fake surround sound, How?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Flat Screen TV with fake surround sound, How?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought another inexpensive flat screen for the MH. It has virtual surround sound. I.E. fake surround sound!

It is THE most eeriest thing to be sitting at the dinette, TV in front and every now and then depending on what is being played the sound comes from behind me or off to the other side of the MH. Actually its down right creepy.

HOW do they do it without additional speakers?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gnomes with Flashlights...*(see note below)

It actually has to do with phasing the time the sound leaves the speakers. By properly setting the phase and timeing of a sound, the sound "appears" to come from a different location.

Now this actually only works when you are sitting in the right place, like in front of the TV. If you were off to one side, the effect would not happen.

It's actually the same technology I used to use in setting up sonar counter-measures (back before I retired).

Note: several years ago we were at a group campout, and there was a rather spectacular display of the Aurora. One of my friends walked up to me and asked what was causing them.

I started to explain.

The DW realized that he was, well, too drunk to understand so she interrupted me and said "Gnomes with Flashlights"

So that became my standard "non-technical answer" for technical questions, where people did not actually want the technical answer

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Gnomes with Flashlights...*(see note below)

It actually has to do with phasing the time the sound leaves the speakers. By properly setting the phase and timeing of a sound, the sound "appears" to come from a different location.

Now this actually only works when you are sitting in the right place, like in front of the TV. If you were off to one side, the effect would not happen.

It's actually the same technology I used to use in setting up sonar counter-measures (back before I retired).

Note: several years ago we were at a group campout, and there was a rather spectacular display of the Aurora. One of my friends walked up to me and asked what was causing them.

I started to explain.

The DW realized that he was, well, too drunk to understand so she interrupted me and said "Gnomes with Flashlights"

So that became my standard "non-technical answer" for technical questions, where people did not actually want the technical answer

Thanks.
"Gnomes with Flashlights", going to have to use that one!

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It comes down to how one perceives sound or psychoacoustics. There several companies that offer virtual surround technology, but among those in the forefront is Dolby Laboratories. Been fortunate to personally work with their factory techs and engineers on an ongoing basis, some of whom have been responsible for designing their digital and cinema processors currently used by movie theaters and studios. All I can say is that they're really out there, and just possess a fundamental understanding of sound far beyond the vast majority of people. Pretty sure none of them will ever read this so as not to swell already enlarged heads. Take a look at their Dolby Virtual Speaker.

Having also worked and personally setup 3D motion picture systems worldwide, I've been equally impressed with Dolby's 3D digital cinema systems. It doesn't require a special silver screen as polarizing or shutter based systems typically do, and able to achieve an even field of vision while avoiding the typical hotspots, and dark edges of other 3D systems.

BigBoy11

Chambersburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of other names for this is "simulated stereo" or "phantom" stereo. The explanation above is excellent and basically it happens so rapidly it "tricks" your ears into hearing something differently than what you think it should. Pretty neat huh?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Flat Screen TV with fake surround sound, How?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS