RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Will an Onan 4000 genny run 2 A/C's?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Will an Onan 4000 genny run 2 A/C's?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
lacofdfireman

Saint George, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I search for a Trailer that can be pulled by my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins I keep finding myself looking at smaller and smaller trailers. One thing that is a huge deal to me is that the trailer "MUST" have 2 air conditioners. I live in a a very hot climate and 2 airs is a must. The thing I find though is it seems that the smaller 5th wheels and even bumper pull trailers is that they come with an Onan 4000 genny instead of the 5500. My question is, "Is this enough generator to run 2 generators, microwave and tv's etc at the same time or are you gonna have to switch stuff off to keep it running? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm really liking these Attitude FL28AKLG trailers and think my truck would do great pulling it. But most the one's I see for sale only have 1 A/C and the smaller generator..

08 BMW R 1200GS Adventure

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen a 4000W run 2 A/Cs. All of the wide bodied Warriors have come with 5500W gennys. I have seen plenty of those run 2 A/Cs.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The smaller trailers have 30 amp wiring and can't run two a/c's. The 4000 genny's are for 30 amp wiring, the 5500 gennys for 50 amp. There are several threads here where people have over come 30 amp wiring for 2 a/c's, but it involves having a separate plug for the 2nd a/c so that it is plugged into the 20 amp recepitcle along with the 30 amp regulr service. If boondocking, you would need a separate genny to plug the a/c into.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

lacofdfireman

Saint George, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well t guess the 28ft Attittude is out then. Bummer. I really liked that trailer.

tom cav

orange co

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lacofdfireman wrote:

Well t guess the 28ft Attittude is out then. Bummer. I really liked that trailer.
i would talk to eclipse ,may do a special build

2007.5 cc,sb.ltz 4x4 d/a ,o9 eclipse stellar 34 lksg 2012 xp-4, 08 4seat rhino . yamaha 125 grizzly 125 breeze

my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tom cav wrote:

lacofdfireman wrote:

I agree, call them and ask.

They have done some custom work for me and it has never been a problem.

_

2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

lacofdfireman

Saint George, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tom cav wrote:

lacofdfireman wrote:

Tom, How do you fit all your toys in your toyhauler? You have about the exact toys I have. Do you have any photo's of your RZR XP4 in your toyhauler? I wanna see some pics... Show that thing off..

kpconnell

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lacofdfireman wrote:

As I search for a Trailer that can be pulled by my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins I keep finding myself looking at smaller and smaller trailers. One thing that is a huge deal to me is that the trailer "MUST" have 2 air conditioners. I live in a a very hot climate and 2 airs is a must. The thing I find though is it seems that the smaller 5th wheels and even bumper pull trailers is that they come with an Onan 4000 genny instead of the 5500. My question is, "Is this enough generator to run 2 generators, microwave and tv's etc at the same time or are you gonna have to switch stuff off to keep it running? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm really liking these Attitude FL28AKLG trailers and think my truck would do great pulling it. But most the one's I see for sale only have 1 A/C and the smaller generator..

Are you really planning on running both A/C's off the generator? We have a 5500, in a 30Amp rig with 2 a/c units. If its that hot out, (over 90f seems to need both) we generally just find an electrical hookup! Running the genset all day long would suck.

lacofdfireman

Saint George, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kpconnell wrote:

lacofdfireman wrote:

Are you really planning on running both A/C's off the generator? We have a 5500, in a 30Amp rig with 2 a/c units. If its that hot out, (over 90f seems to need both) we generally just find an electrical hookup! Running the genset all day long would suck.

We did it all the time in our 05 WW FS2600 and also in our 06 Rampage 360. We dry camp alot in the summer and sometimes it's well into the 100's. Out of all the years I ever owned a trailer we had hookups only once that I can think of and that was at Mesquite NV in the middle of the summer with heat of over 115 degrees and our rear air in the Rampage was not working. We had everyone crowded up in the front bedroom that night and it was no were near enough cold air. Dual A/C is a must for me. Looks like I will have to look into a 34ft 5th Wheel. I have been searching around and it seems that anything shorter has the Onan 4000...

joebedford

at stick house

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't you order your trailer "genset ready" then install a 5500?

We used our a lot on our recent trip through very hot weather and ran 2 ACs all the time even when dry camped.

I have blocked the AC vents in the garage - the toys can take the heat!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Will an Onan 4000 genny run 2 A/C's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS