|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Battery Problems on 2011 Cadillac SRX

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVTARATOO

Pensacola, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just completed the installation of a Road Master Falcon All-Terrain Two Bar with an Invisibrake #8700. This SRX will be coupled to a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire. On completion of the installation at Camping World, the battery on the SRX was dead. Camping World charged the battery which again died. They tried to explain that the Invisibrake #8700 utilizes no power when not braking. Several threads within some forums discuss removal of fuses, that is not discussed in the SRX manual. Camping World is now strongly suggesting the installation of a Road Master Automatic Battery Disconnect that will provide a trickle charge during the towing. Would really like some comments and/or suggestions on this issue(s). Thanks in advance, Dave

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The charge wire is the simple solution and easy to do. Find what pin is not being used on your 7 pin towing plug. Only 4 are used for towing a toad or trailer. On the MH side run a wire from the positive side of the batter to that pin and on the toad side run a wire up to the positive side of the battery. Install an inline fuse close to the battery on the toad's line and your done. Now you can now tow without pulling fuses, battery will stay charged.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know???
"As of April 2012, the following vehicles have been identified by ROADMASTER as towable only with the battery cable disconnected:
• 2008-2011 Buick Enclave
• 2007-2011 Dodge Dakota
• 2008-2011 GMC Acadia
• 2008-2009 Jeep Liberty
• 2011 Jeep Liberty
• 2008-2011 Jeep Wrangler
• 2008-2009 Chevy Equinox Sport
• 2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent GXP
• 2008-2009 Hummer H2"
Your vehicle is not on the list!!!
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/ac........sories/auto_battery_disconnect_apps.html

If the Invisibrake #8700 isn't suppose to use any power from the toad, I'd be talking to Invisbrake to see what is wrong. But according to what I have read about Invisibrake it draws up to 10.8 amps, but I don't know where it draws it from. Invisibrake says their system "Bypasses the 12-volt outlet and charges your battery - InvisiBrake connects directly to the towed vehicle'’s battery and constantly charges the battery during towing (InvisiBrake will never drain the battery)." It sounds like it gets it power from the motorhome and not your toad!! But it hooks to your toad and charges its battery. So you should not need a battery disconnect like that want to add.

And there is this deal about the type of brakes on your vehicle:
"InvisiBrake will not work in all vehicles. Verify the
application before continuing.
1. Determine which type of braking system is in
the towed vehicle…
• If the vehicle has a power brake booster and vacuum
line similar to that shown in Figure 11, it has vacuumassisted power brakes. Proceed to step 2, “Check the
lighting system.”
• If the vehicle does not have vacuum-assisted power
brakes, it likely has hydroboost power brakes. If they
are electric hydroboost, InvisiBrake will work. If they
are standard hydroboost, it will not work."
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-4649-17.pdf
Now I don't know how that affects you.

* This post was edited 08/23/12 11:12pm by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if they hooked the voltage up backwards???

rbouldin

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new 2013 Cadillac SRX being towed behind a Dutchmen super c adn the battery goes dead after 6 hour with or without the BCM!, BCM@ adn BcM# fuses pulled. I ahve seen some individuals stating that they are successful towing an SRX but so far Cadillac Dealer or Corporate haven't been much help in solving my problem.

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbouldin wrote:

I am trying to find someone who dingy tows a Cafillac and has been successful. I have towed mine twice and when I arrived at my destination the battery was dead. THe first time I followed the procedure in the owners manual on the second attempt a Cadillac dealer provided me a suplemental sheet saying to remove the BMC fuses but when I got home the SRX's batter was dead again.

I have not towed a Cadillac, but a car is a car and dead batteries while towing are not Cadillac specific.

On Edit: I just copied this from RoadMasters web site • Bypasses the 12-volt outlet and charges your battery — InvisiBrake connects directly to the towed vehicle’s battery and constantly charges the battery during towing (InvisiBrake will never drain the battery).
It is either connected wrong, or does not work. Where did you have it installed? What do they say?

I also do not understand how it can charge your battery if it is using power? Is it connected to the MH battery as well, like a charging wire? If the InvisiBrake is suppose to charge the battery while towing, I think your problem may be with RoadMaster or the installer who installed it. It sounds like there is suppose to be a charging wire connected that is not.

* This post was last edited 10/22/12 06:12am by brobox *   View edit history

GM Engineer

Motor City

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbouldin wrote:

I have just successfullly towed it over 8 hours with the following
Start the vehicle and position it behind the RV
hook the vehicle to the RV
Get in the vehicle and raise the boot around the shifter
Press the button behind the shifter as the owners manual states
move the shifter into neutral
turn off the vehicle and get out of the care closing the drivers door
open the passenger door and remove BCM1, BCM2 and BCM3 fuses (all are 15 amp fuses)

This will allow to tow it without drawign down the battery.

Isn't that all stated in the owners manual? With regards to the shifter and fuses to pull?

rbouldin

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to find someone who dingy tows a Cafillac and has been successful. I have towed mine twice and when I arrived at my destination the battery was dead. THe first time I followed the procedure in the owners manual on the second attempt a Cadillac dealer provided me a suplemental sheet saying to remove the BMC fuses but when I got home the SRX's batter was dead again.

rbouldin

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX and have had no luck with Cadillac in helping me to figure out how to tow it.

I have just successfullly towed it over 8 hours with the following
Start the vehicle and position it behind the RV
hook the vehicle to the RV
Get in the vehicle and raise the boot around the shifter
Press the button behind the shifter as the owners manual states
move the shifter into neutral
turn off the vehicle and get out of the care closing the drivers door
open the passenger door and remove BCM1, BCM2 and BCM3 fuses (all are 15 amp fuses)

This will allow to tow it without drawign down the battery.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Battery Problems on 2011 Cadillac SRX
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS