|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> backup camera problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
recpccpa

Galveston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My backup camera display is getting power and will turn on and off, but it is not getting a picture. The picture is just white snow. I had a technichian check to see that all the connections on the back of it were tight. He also looked at the camera on the rear of the RV and saw no apparent problems. Any idea what the problem might be?

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you remove your monitor input and plug it into your TV to verify whether you have a monitor or camera/wiring issue? May need an adapter from Radio Shack to do that.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the back up camera (not monnitor) getting power to it? Sounds like it could be off. Also, most cameras are VIDEO IN in put.

White "snow" or "polar bear in a snowstorm" sounds like its receiving radio interference. Such as TV tuner noise.... You may need to change an option on the monitor (if it has one) from the "antenna in" to VIDEO 1 input on the monitor. See if there is a menu that changes your input.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rv2go

Fulltime 12 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First...Welcome to the forum.

If all else fails, remove the camera and monitor and send them to rvcams.com. They will diagnose your problems and tell you what you need. Call first and get an acct. #

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. For service/repair, RV.CAMS is excellent.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too are having issues with our backup camera. I hate intermittent problems and this system surely does it well. Most of the time, I turn the rig on and the picture is great and all is well. But, sometimes it has a black, faded section horizontally and some light snow. Sometimes it "blacks out" completely. And then, the blacked out picture will "pop" into a clear, perfect picture as we're motoring down the road. Hmmmmmm

Now, I don't know how many of your camera/screens to what ours does in terms of working with other components in the dash area. You see, ours displays information on that screen, as well as displaying the picture provided by the camera. My thoughts are, if I have to replace either the camera or the screen/monitor or both, will I still be able to read info presented on that screen from the info center of the rig? The rig is a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. Thanks for the link to the camera specialty outfit. I'll get in touch with them on my issues.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not state the brand of camera. I don't remember my brand but I had an issue with it being intermittent. I found the problem to be a the connection between the camera and the cable coming from the coach at the back of the coach. The way the manufacture put those together is really bad. I tried to buy new connectors but could not find them so I just hard wired the camera to the cable. Been two years and not a problem. I did take the connectors apart and found broken wires at the connector. When we purchased the coach the left camera did not work so I replaced it for about $250. After the rear camera fix I checked out the removed left camera and found the same issue. fixed that and now has a spare camera.

2006 Monaco Diplomat

donkim

Northcoast, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 06 had an intermittent issue last year as well. Checked all the connections and they looked ok. I pulled the camera off the back of the coach and left the short cable connected and wiggled the connector while the DW watched the monitor. Sure enough when I moved the connector the picture would come and go. I followed another poster's suggestion and just cut the connector off and directly spliced the wires and its been fine for over a year.

Bumbie

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the same problem with the Weldex System in my '05 Safari Simba. Just returned from a 1700 mile trip to Oregon. Back up camera worked a majority of the time, but still had the snow or grayed out picture intermittently. The suggestion from my repair shop is to check the cable connection to the camera at the rear of the coach. The cable is hung up on something inside the wall and I can't get to the connector. I'm going to make an access hole from the inside to get to the connector....I'm just trying to figure out how to do it and not leave a gaping hole in the rear wall.

Anyone have any suggestions?

'05 Safari Simba 33' and loving every minute!!!!

DiplomatRog

Mpk, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure wish I could get a fix on my rear camera. I even replaced it once now. Works intermittently only. Talked to some friends and heard you should check the connections incoming to the box in the dash, etc., and the rear cable connection. Have not got to try these yet, but I include it for this discussion.
Rog 06 Monaco ,

MH 06 Monaco Diplomat
TV 03 Honda Pilot, Blue Ox hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> backup camera problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS