RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD flat towable w/o mods to driveline?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD flat towable w/o mods to driveline?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
crappie_fisherman

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay...I got pretty confused today...

First off I read the 2012 Flat Towable vehicle guide and it stated that all Jeep Liberty 4WD's are flat towable.

BUT...the confusing part is when I was at the dealership today I read the manual and it is a little confusing.

Under the 2WD section it clearly states to remove the drive shaft OR use a dolly under the rear wheels...I get that.

Under the 4WD section it clearly states to go through the intricate process of shifting into neutral, starting, pressing the neutral button on the transfer case, yadda yadda...

BUT there was a note at the end of the section with a BIG WARNING about removal of the drive shaft...I assume that was for the 2WD unit which is described in the same basic section of the manual...BUT...I want to make sure.

Is a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD flat towable without modifications to the driveline?

I opted for the Liberty over the Wrangler because I just don't think I could handle manual LOCKS...manual windows yes...but having to manually lock each door after all the kiddo's get out and manually having to unlock to let them in would get old quick...the Liberty has power windows, locks, cruise and some other small creature comforts...We're going just the basic Sport model so it has manual seats and cloth interior...but it still has a lot of nice features over the Wrangler...PLUS...I got a 2012 for essentially less $$$ than I could have gotten a 2010 Wrangler!!!

So...can someone confirm that the Liberty 4WD is 4 down towable without mods other than using the neutral switch on the transfer case.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe.


2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH 350Cat (3 women and 4 slides...Just RIGHT! )
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport (toad)

2005 Ford Excursion V10 w/4.30's (Sold)


rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crappie_fisherman wrote:

Okay...I got pretty confused today...

First off I read the 2012 Flat Towable vehicle guide and it stated that all Jeep Liberty 4WD's are flat towable.

BUT...the confusing part is when I was at the dealership today I read the manual and it is a little confusing.

Under the 2WD section it clearly states to remove the drive shaft OR use a dolly under the rear wheels...I get that.

Under the 4WD section it clearly states to go through the intricate process of shifting into neutral, starting, pressing the neutral button on the transfer case, yadda yadda...

BUT there was a note at the end of the section with a BIG WARNING about removal of the drive shaft...I assume that was for the 2WD unit which is described in the same basic section of the manual...BUT...I want to make sure.

Is a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD flat towable without modifications to the driveline?

I opted for the Liberty over the Wrangler because I just don't think I could handle manual LOCKS...manual windows yes...but having to manually lock each door after all the kiddo's get out and manually having to unlock to let them in would get old quick...the Liberty has power windows, locks, cruise and some other small creature comforts...We're going just the basic Sport model so it has manual seats and cloth interior...but it still has a lot of nice features over the Wrangler...PLUS...I got a 2012 for essentially less $$$ than I could have gotten a 2010 Wrangler!!!

So...can someone confirm that the Liberty 4WD is 4 down towable without mods other than using the neutral switch on the transfer case.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe.


first, not ALL liberty's are flat towable and not ALL 4WD liberty's are flat towable. there are 4WD (4WD on demand) libs and AWD (for lack of a better term think of that as fulltime 4WD or All Wheel Drive). the transfer case will NOT have a neutral position in the AWD libs and those MUST be trailered. IF the transfer case has a neutral position that can be selected by the driver then the lib can be flat towed. you don't need to remove drive shafts or anything else.

yes, you need to follow the steps in the owner's manual (takes me maybe 1-minute to go through them) but essentially the transfer case goes to neutral and the shifter to park. i'm pretty sure that the steering wheel doesn't lock on the 2012's and if that's the case you won't need to leave the key in the ignition while towing.

we tow a 2010 4WD lib and it's a breeze. the owner's manual is THE source for recreational towing. if you re unsure or confused by the manual do NOT ask the sales critter or the service manager...call Jeep corporate and ask to speak to someone who can speak authoritatively about recreational towing. but i doubt it will come to that.

good luck.


'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!
_________________________________

_________________________________
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK


crappie_fisherman

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich,

A big THANKS to you!

The 4WD Liberty we test drove indeed had the transfer case neutral "button" on the 4WD selector switch area versus what you stated as a "switch"...that was one thing I specifically looked for...so it sounds like I should be OK with this particular one...but the directions below refer to the "button"...it is essentially a small button like on a car radio that you use a ball point pen or unbent paperclip to "press"...it is something that must be "deliberate" and not "accidental" that way...so is that what you mean and does it look like this one would be flat towable?

The 2012 tow guide states the proceedure as follows for a 4WD Lib:

With engine off and ignition
switch in ON position, press
brake pedal, shift transmission
into NEUTRAL, press
recessed transfer case
neutral button for 4 seconds
,
start engine, shift transmission
into REVERSE, release
brake pedal, shift transmission
into DRIVE, release
brake pedal, turn engine
off, shift transmission to PARK.

It seems a little complicated when you read it versus actually doing it with the actual vehicle...but the fact that the 4WD selector switch has that little "neutral" button...I have to believe it is what you are talking about...yes?

Thanks,
Joe.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crappie_fisherman wrote:

Rich,

A big THANKS to you!

The 4WD Liberty we test drove indeed had the transfer case neutral "button" on the 4WD selector switch area versus what you stated as a "switch"...that was one thing I specifically looked for...so it sounds like I should be OK with this particular one...but the directions below refer to the "button"...it is essentially a small button like on a car radio that you use a ball point pen or unbent paperclip to "press"...it is something that must be "deliberate" and not "accidental" that way...so is that what you mean and does it look like this one would be flat towable?

The 2012 tow guide states the proceedure as follows for a 4WD Lib:

With engine off and ignition
switch in ON position, press
brake pedal, shift transmission
into NEUTRAL, press
recessed transfer case
neutral button for 4 seconds
,
start engine, shift transmission
into REVERSE, release
brake pedal, shift transmission
into DRIVE, release
brake pedal, turn engine
off, shift transmission to PARK.

It seems a little complicated when you read it versus actually doing it with the actual vehicle...but the fact that the 4WD selector switch has that little "neutral" button...I have to believe it is what you are talking about...yes?

Thanks,
Joe.


yes. and that's the same protocol we follow, joe. it may sound complicated but i created a checklist with the steps for hooking up and disconnecting. the wife reads the checklist item to me and i perform it. as i wrote earlier it takes maybe a minute to accomplish.

if you're buying the vehicle off the lot you should be good to go. if you're odering one be *certain* it has the type of 4WD transfer case that you can put into neutral.

crappie_fisherman

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/25/12 04:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich,

Stupid question...is there an "undo" procedure to follow to take the vehicle OUT of neutral?...just curious...I didn't look that close to the manual when I was there...I'm sure it isn't as complicated (I hope...LOL).

Thanks again...and yes...the vehicle is physically on the lot so I got to see it and drive it and saw the "neutral" button by the transfer switch selector.

Jeep is running $4,000 in rebates right now...I was able to negotiate a deal (out the door, taxes, title, rear hitch, etc) on a 2012 Liberty Sport for very close to what I would have had to give on a 2010 or 2009 Wrangler unlimited Sport!...I went Sport because I really only need this vehicle for a toad and a deer hunting mild off road vehicle...otherwise I would have gone sedan...but since I actually need the 4x4 capabilities...that really limited my choices in of vehicles I would own/drive for 4 down towers...

Let me know about the "undo" part as I hadn't thought that far ahead yet!

Looks like after today if all goes well (selling the Excursion)...I'll have to update my sig...

Also the TT is for sale on the local RV lot and we're a week out from getting posession of a 2007 Phaeton 40 QSH...LOTS going on right now!

Thanks again!

joe.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/25/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crappie_fisherman wrote:

Rich,

Stupid question...is there an "undo" procedure to follow to take the vehicle OUT of neutral?...just curious...I didn't look that close to the manual when I was there...I'm sure it isn't as complicated (I hope...LOL).


yep...there are specified steps to put the vehicle back into driveable mode. basically a reversal of the steps to put it into toad mode. check the book to be certain they're there.

crappie_fisherman wrote:

Thanks again...and yes...the vehicle is physically on the lot so I got to see it and drive it and saw the "neutral" button by the transfer switch selector.

Jeep is running $4,000 in rebates right now...I was able to negotiate a deal (out the door, taxes, title, rear hitch, etc) on a 2012 Liberty Sport for very close to what I would have had to give on a 2010 or 2009 Wrangler unlimited Sport!...I went Sport because I really only need this vehicle for a toad and a deer hunting mild off road vehicle...otherwise I would have gone sedan...but since I actually need the 4x4 capabilities...that really limited my choices in of vehicles I would own/drive for 4 down towers...

Let me know about the "undo" part as I hadn't thought that far ahead yet!

Looks like after today if all goes well (selling the Excursion)...I'll have to update my sig...

Also the TT is for sale on the local RV lot and we're a week out from getting posession of a 2007 Phaeton 40 QSH...LOTS going on right now!

Thanks again!

joe.


ur very welcome, joe. we're a jeep family as you can see by my signature line and while the lib isn't as fuel efficient as other vehicles in the class it is a pretty decent SUV. and MPG was actually the *last* thing on our mind when we were shopping for a new vehicle. we can also tow our 2000 wrangler and still do on occasion.

good luck and let the forum know how things turn out.

crappie_fisherman

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/25/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich,

Just picked up the Liberty 4WD I test drove yesterday...interesting thing is that the owners manual does NOT specifically state how to UNDO what the directions do...I may be missing something...just looked through the section and it seems to only state how to tow flat...I'll keep digging...but for right now I can get it into a neutral state...but not back out...LOL

Joe.

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/25/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, Joe,

Congrats, and welcome to the wild, wonderful world of MH ownership, and dinghy towing.

Check your PM.


Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/25/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crappie_fisherman wrote:

Rich,

Just picked up the Liberty 4WD I test drove yesterday...interesting thing is that the owners manual does NOT specifically state how to UNDO what the directions do...I may be missing something...just looked through the section and it seems to only state how to tow flat...I'll keep digging...but for right now I can get it into a neutral state...but not back out...LOL

Joe.


joe, that's very strange. are you looking at the actual owner's manaul or a document that the sales critter gave you? the actual manual is a rather thick book. my lib came with a short summary (called a User Guide) of the entire manual. i had to order the full manual from jeep (no cost, not even shipping).

you can get the full manual on-line as well. just fill-in the model year and select Liberty. the protocol to use when shifting INTO neutral starts on page 427 and OUT of neutral on page 429.

good luck.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does the dinghy guide say and usually comes from the manual, assuming it's up to date.
As for a late model wrangler, nothing could be easier to tow and don't understand the lack of creature comforts, as our Wrangler has all mentioned and more.


"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Model 6350 on a 1997 Chevy P32
Chassis_7.4 Vortec Engine_4L80E Tranny_slide_tag axle.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD flat towable w/o mods to driveline?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS