RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: No satellite signal thru the cable input

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> No satellite signal thru the cable input

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kb0vwg

Lyford

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello

I have purchased my first travel trailer so I guess I am kinda new to this I did travel with the parents in their RV years ago. My question
is why I am not able to receive any satellite signal in my RV running thru the cable connection on the outside of the RV. I know the cable is good it has been hooked up to a cable connection. I did line the dish with the satellite and was receiving all channels when i hooked up the dish directly to the receiver to a small TV on the outside and i am able to receive all the channels I subscribe too, and the signal is 98%.

Is the cable that is run thru the RV not the proper kind, Is it less than Rg6? Is there any thing that can be done to get it to work, besides running new cable?
Thanks
Michael
kb0vwg

seattlefirervr

Snohomish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easiest solution is to purchase a 4' section of flat coax with a couple of double males. Then run coax thru a window directly to your cable box.

The RV cable isn't the problem, it's where the cable inside the RV splits to the rest of the trailer where the lack of signal starts. (Directv doesn't like in-line splitting before the "satellite-in") The interior splitting can be found at the 12v/coax/batwing switch/plate part in your trailer. There is a diagram somewhere in the forums on how to bypass this. I am not savvy enough to attach it, I am sure someone will.
Over the last 6 years, I have taken the lazy way and run the flat coax thru a window. The flat cable allows you to close windows tight enough to avoid bugs and cooling/heat loss.

2006 31' Wildcat QBH,Yamaha 3000EFi Generator

2000 Ford F250 Lariat PSD CC,SB,4WD,AT. aFe Megacannon Airfilter,4" Diamond I exhaust,Custom"Evergreen Diesel"chip,Autometer pillar gauges,BD Torque Converter,ATS Turbo Housing,Wicked Wheel,BD Exhaust Brake,

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YUP! I stayed at a CG with Direct TV and none of us could use the outside connection for the cable. Had to bring it in thru window and hook up to inside connector. As stated above it had something to do that it is split where it comes in from the outside. It splits to provide cable to the back TV and then runs up to the front where the booster is. I just quit using the cable at CG's.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is that the cable connection from the outside is running through the booster for the batwing antenna. That negates the sat signal from the dish to the receiver.

Aside from running the wire through the window, I know of two choices. I drilled a hole next to the outside cable connection, added a faceplate, and fished RG6 wire through the camper to the Amplifier faceplate and drilled an extra hole in it. Results are a direct feed from the dish to the receiver = reception. That's a lot of work and time, though. A quicker way is to bypass the amplifier at the switch plate. You can review the mod with pictures here.

RVn Full-time

RLMiller

Palmdale, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lyford,
You really didn’t provide enough information to answer your question. I’ve run satellite, off-the-air, and cable tv signals every which way in my motorhome. You just have to know what’s in the coaxial cable line. In Oregon I set the satellite antenna about 50’ away from the motorhome to clear the trees, and feed the satellite down converted signal through the cable TV connection outside my motorhome to the satellite receiver. I also use the same connection for cable TV when available. Yes, I do have to move some coax connection to the equipment and I’ve verified there are no splitters, power feeds, or other things in the coaxial line. I also feed the satellite, cable TV and off-the-air signals through the coaxial cable to two TV’s and a 3rd unused jack for an outside TV. PM me and describe more precisely what you have and perhaps I can help.

Richard L. Miller
2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38'
2014 Honda CRV toad
Amateur Radio KJ6W

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your problem, which you have described well, is a common one. Others have already given you good answers. Satellite TV inputs will not work if there are boosters or splitters in the path. The solution is to install a cable that bypasses any such devices.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to try this rewire and see if it helps.
Satellite rewire

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

BMCM

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/12 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did the rewire that bob213 linked to.
Works great. Don't have to worry about how I'm going to run the cable from the Tailgater to the inside of the camper.

F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

MickeyBrennan

Playa de Carmen, Q.R. Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because the cable connection is for the cable input. In most cases the satellite feed must go directly to the receiver with interruption.

Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> No satellite signal thru the cable input
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS