|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> screw on air chuck for tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Grandpa Joe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a lot of trouble getting my inside rear tires inflated as the air check seems to not want to interface well with the valve stem, have tried push-on, locking chucks, etc. 2011 Forest River Sunseeker 2650. Just purchased a digital gage with locking chuck from Griots Garage, works very nicely on my truck tires at 35 pounds but does not want to lock on the valve extensions for the rear duallys. Any thoughts on this?

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a screw on flexable extender. It works for me.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

Grandpa Joe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a web link or a Mfg part number for the scew on extender?

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Tireman solid steel valve stems installed a number of years ago. No more problems with checking pressures or adding air.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Queens Carriage

Treasure Coast, FLorida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to spend the money, Alot of us have, Solves the problem. Tireman.com Mi tires never leak.It is easy to put the chuck on and doesn't leak.

stage

Weirsdale, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will find it's the angle of the chucks vs stem. I was having the same problems and remembered straight air chucks from my trucking days. Ordered a couple from ebay for cheap and am a happy camper now.

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grandpa Joe wrote:

Do you have a web link or a Mfg part number for the scew on extender?

Sorry I don't. I got them in Quartize Arizona 2 winters back at a flea market.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G'Joe - What are the actual valves in your wheels made of? If they are rubber/synthetic (flexible) then PLEASE don't add extenders or such to them.
Our coach had rubber stems with screw-on extenders and consistently lost pressure. That's the least of it. Several have had flats and a couple were blowouts.
I added Dually Valve Kits and have had no issues since. Tire checking is a matter of seconds even with simulators. The TireMan kits are essentially the same.
If you have metal valve stems now and want extenders look for AIRLESS ones. They don't press the core in your original stem till you press a tire gauge or air chuck onto them.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all wonder why RV box/chassis MFR's don't install long solid metal custom formed valve stems that make checking air pressure as easy as on a car. Has to be some deep dark secret involving liability, etc. There has been an ongoing discussion about having Tire Man, Borg or other solid metal custom formed valve stems installed on the duals and front tires ($100+) versus DIY installation of cheap ($35) less safe/less reliable, valve stem extenders onto the stock rubber valve stems. Extenders can unscrew and leak air pressure, and when installed on stock rubber valve stems, the rubber stems flex and vibrate as wheels spin, eventually the rubber stem cracks and loses air. When an inner dual tire goes soft it heats up, the outer tire must carry more weight and be damaged or fail. When a tire fails the flailing steel belt can seriously damage holding tanks, propane lines, or wiring and possibly cause loss of control/loss of life. Spending $100+ on aving solid metal custom formed valve stems installed seems like cheap insurance and common sense to me.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Equal Time:

Here is the site for the Tire-Man valve kits

Tire-Man is a more comprehensive kit than Dually Valve. The DV kits are for rear wheels only, with front valves available separately. TM kit has the front valves and includes Air-Through Caps. These little gems keep dirt out but don't have to be removed to gauge or air your tires! They're pretty much a very short air-through extension.

I went DV because those are whhat I found in a Brick and Mortar store in Anchorage and found they sold them at a shockingly low price, about half retail. Since then a number of OPs here have ordered from them (sixrobblees.com) but those prices have gone up considerably. They've approached retail price from Borg (now called yourtiresupply).

Nobody's aaid if they searched for alternate sources. I just looked at Amazon and they had only varieties of extenders. Some were airless and there were a lot of Pacific Duallies products.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> screw on air chuck for tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS