|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er, jiggle jiggle jiggle....help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
byrdr1

Elon, NC / Central Piedmont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StesdyFast Stabilizers are what i am using now and I love them. I have only camped once since installing but it made a difference. JMHO
randy
ps I use the new BAL X-chocks X2 also, I have equaflex too.

2003 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 7.3PSD
2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

RollingRockTX

Keller, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

RollingRockTX wrote:

Now we have a newer, slightly larger Cruiser 5er...again we have brand X for our stabilizers and this thing shakes at least 2-3 inches in the front. If the kids turn over in their sleep you feel movement. It bothered me so much I ran down to CamperWorld this past weekend and picked up a King Pin Tri Pod. Guess what....only a slight improvement.

So this is what use:
RotoChocks each side
frame mounted stabilizer system (JT's Strong Arms)
tripod king pin

So here is the big variable....this new 5er has EquaFlex suspension system. could that be causing all our movement? If so, how do you fix it? or can you?

RR - interesting that you post this. I can't say that we have 2-3 inches of movement, but we have way more movement than I expected with the same setup minus the tripod. We have RotoChoks on either side and UltraFab Eliminators (JT's knockoffs from what I can tell) AND we have the Equaflex suspension AND we have the electric jacks in the rear.

The last thing that I read was to tighten the stabilizers and then hit the jacks for another 1/2 - 1 second to get them "good and set". I tried that this past trip but can't really say if they helped or not.

yup , we have a similar set up and same issue. 3 inches is kind of a stretch. I can stand outside and have the kids walk around and it's clearly visible.

There's gotta be a way to firm this up.

2006 Ford F250 King Ranch PSD
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
ARP Headstuds
ERG Delete
custom tuned
Diesel Site Coolant Filter System
MBRP 4" Turbo Back, cat delete
MagHytech Rear Dif Cover
2011 Ford Expedition, HD Tow
2011 Cruiser CF33LF, KC5PFG

Dutch & Di

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What pin box are you using? If you use something like a Mor/Ryde or Tail Air that is meant to move when you are hooked up and driving down the road, using a tri or bi pod will cause more
movement because it is meant to move. Have you tried removing the tri pod to see if that will help? Di

RollingRockTX wrote:

ependydad wrote:

RollingRockTX wrote:

Now we have a newer, slightly larger Cruiser 5er...again we have brand X for our stabilizers and this thing shakes at least 2-3 inches in the front. If the kids turn over in their sleep you feel movement. It bothered me so much I ran down to CamperWorld this past weekend and picked up a King Pin Tri Pod. Guess what....only a slight improvement.

So this is what use:
RotoChocks each side
tripod king pin

So here is the big variable....this new 5er has EquaFlex suspension system. could that be causing all our movement? If so, how do you fix it? or can you?

RR - interesting that you post this. I can't say that we have 2-3 inches of movement, but we have way more movement than I expected with the same setup minus the tripod. We have RotoChoks on either side and UltraFab Eliminators (JT's knockoffs from what I can tell) AND we have the Equaflex suspension AND we have the electric jacks in the rear.

The last thing that I read was to tighten the stabilizers and then hit the jacks for another 1/2 - 1 second to get them "good and set". I tried that this past trip but can't really say if they helped or not.

yup , we have a similar set up and same issue. 3 inches is kind of a stretch. I can stand outside and have the kids walk around and it's clearly visible.

2014 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

RollingRockTX

Keller, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/12 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch & Di wrote:

What pin box are you using? If you use something like a Mor/Ryde or Tail Air that is meant to move when you are hooked up and driving down the road, using a tri or bi pod will cause more
movement because it is meant to move. Have you tried removing the tri pod to see if that will help? Di

RollingRockTX wrote:

ependydad wrote:

RollingRockTX wrote:

So this is what use:
RotoChocks each side
tripod king pin

Diana, Dutch

I really appreciate you jumping in on this thread. My issue isn't king pin related...I feel like its an problem that exists with my rig's suspension. There is a certain amount of movement in there that no matter what i do I am still going to have a little shimmy and bounce.

Hell maybe its me expecting it to be more stable. When I think about the pure physics of the situation, it kind of makes sense. We have a loft when my kids are playing up there, its pretty high and that moment seems to translate into more jiggle than I expected.

Wish there was a way to "lock" the suspension when parked.

Sealyn

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hell maybe its me expecting it to be more stable. When I think about the pure physics of the situation, it kind of makes sense. We have a loft when my kids are playing up there, its pretty high and that moment seems to translate into more jiggle than I expected.

Wish there was a way to "lock" the suspension when parked.

The best way to make the rig stable is also the most expensive- a Level Up 6 point leveling system. It lifts the rig off the suspension, making it as stable as possible (you can use it to change tires). I know this because I had it installed on my Cedar Creek 30LSA.

drhubka

Grass Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know the name of the set-ups that you attach to the stabilizers front and rear, side to side. They stay on your rig and all you do is lock them when in the down position, unlock them to raise the landing gear. Several brands out there and are about $300 to $400/set. People I know love them, they have now switched to the automatic 6 point leveling system About $5K.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winfield Products

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

headin_out

Livingston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At one time or another I have bought all the stabilizing products on the market. Some I returned when they didn't help at all. The kingpin tripod helped a little X chocks helped a lot stabilizers helped some. But if you look at it and think about it as long as the wheeles touch the ground there is going to some movement, it has to. Shortening the length you extend your landing gear and rear stabilizing jacks will also help some.
Hope this helps.

Ford F350
Rand McNally Tripmake (Not a Fan)

twinstick

Ball Ground, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know exactly what you mean. I had a springdale that was rock solid, all I did was make the homemade rotochocks.now, I have a new laredo and it does the same thing. A lot more movement with the same chocks. I too have the electric rear jacks. I think that is where a lot of its coming from. Seems to me that's about the only difference is electric to manual rear jacks.

brownmht

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twinstick wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I had a springdale that was rock solid, all I did was make the homemade rotochocks.now, I have a new laredo and it does the same thing. A lot more movement with the same chocks. I too have the electric rear jacks. I think that is where a lot of its coming from. Seems to me that's about the only difference is electric to manual rear jacks.

I have manual jacks on my Cougar and it bounces A LOT. I have a tripod which helps a great deal especially up front. However, back aft, I almost get seasick. That's bad for a retired Sailor!

I agree the more the rears are extended the less effective they are. I keep a couple 4x4 blocks to try and shorten a bit.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er, jiggle jiggle jiggle....help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS