|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Propane tank expiration

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Class C with a built-in propane tank, and I'm wondering if it has an expiration date like the 20# and 30# bottles do. I can't seem to find a date on the tank, but it has to be at least 8 years old now. I tried searching the forum, but found nothing about this except for a Canadian law. I don't want to find out that I can't refill my tank on my way south this winter.
Thanks for any help on this.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it does, and it can be recertified for an additional period by a qualified and licensed propane tech.

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not believe that permanently mounted Horizontal tanks require recertification.

The rules for this type of propane container are governed by ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914's answer sounds like he's been there and done that. My only thing is however is.. I seem to recall people being asked for a certificate or having a sticker saying it's been certified. Perhaps this is a similar situation as FUEL OIL tanks for homes. There is no mandate by those whom certify the tanks for use as to an expiration HOWEVER the insurance companies have started to adopt a 10 year rule at which time the tank needs to be replaced! not just recertified.. So.. point being.. it may depend on who you ask to fill it and their requiements. Sorry, not a direct answer as I don't know but just thought the answer may NOT be so cut and dry.

I did a quick GOOGLE search and it appears that it may depend on WHERE you are. Apparently a few provinces in Canada have rules/laws requiring you to recertify or have the valve replaced every 10 years or so but many suggesting as Johnworth914 did, not applicable in most places. Again I'd not be suprised if you ran into some dealers that refused perhaps due to ignorance but there are usually more than one place to get propane.

* This post was edited 09/10/12 09:38am by five'er *

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the help folks. I've checked with numerous propane suppliers, and several RV dealers and repair facilities, and I've gotten all kinds of different answers. Most were saying ten years (like the portable tanks), a couple didn't know at all, and I finally found a place that re-certifies tanks that stated he was sure that they didn't have to be re-certified ever. I don't know if it varies by state, or if it's a federal law, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it if, or when, someone refuses to fill my tank.
Thanks for the responses.

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran a propane fueled truck for many years and asked customers who serviced propane vehicles regarding expiry. Their responses were exactly as Johnworth914's. They did say that a rust damaged tank would fail an ordinary road worthiness inspection, but that's obvious, so I kept after mine with wire brush and painting.

None of the fueling stations ever questioned tank or expiry but did always check BBQ tanks when having them filled. Same with our RV's.

five'r offered an excellent approach which I recommend following up through your local RV dealer and a check with a local propane vehicle service shop. These people are typically involved with vehicles which are fuelled by propane rather than RV's which use propane for auxillary use. The number of propane fueled vehicles is becoming smaller so finding one of these shops may require some searching.

A report back as to your results may be of interest to many.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opps...

Here are some interesting details:

Quote:

5 lb. used mostly for camping
10 lb. used mostly for camping
20 lb. BBQ size
5 lb. used mostly for camping
10 lb. used mostly for camping
20 lb. BBQ size
30 lb. used on most RV campers
40 lb. used on some larger RV campers
50 lb. used for commercial, industrial, cabins & cottage
60 lb. used for commercial, industrial, cabins & cottages
100 lb. used for commercial, industrial, cabins & cottages
200 lb. used for commercial, industrial, cabins & cottages
420 lb. used for commercial, industrial, cabins & cottages
20 lb. floor burnisher cylinders
33.3 lb. forklift cylinders
43.3 lb. forklift cylinders
Most balloon cylinders

Note: Older 20 lb. and 30 lb. lay down cylinders are not recertifiable

Propane cylinders must be recertified every 10 years. This process begins with a visual inspection followed by replacing the relief valve, and then a new stamp is embedded into the steel collar to show the latest inspection date. The cylinder must be completely empty of propane before replacing the relief valve. If the cylinder is not empty when brought to be recertified. Cylinders are not recertifiable if they have signs of excessive rust, gouging, denting, or have been involved in a fire, show signs of bulging, dented welds, or collars or foot rings that are broken or damaged.

Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use. Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility.

Issues with propane tanks on vehicles and recreational vehicles can usually be repaired if the problem is directly attached to the tank. (i.e. valves, regulators and hoses)

PROPANE CYLINDER MARKINGS

Typical recertification stamp:
MM XXX YY E
MM -> 2 digit recertification month
XXX ->3 character Re-qualifier’s registration number
YY -> 2 digit recertification year
E ->States the cylinder has been externally examined
WC -> Water capacity of the cylinder.
TW -> Tare weight of the cylinder (what the tank weighs empty)
ICC, DOT, BTE, CTC or TC -> Specification number eg. TC4BA240
10 89 -> Date of manufacture (October. 1989)

All cylinders with a propane capacity of 45 lb (20kg) or less, manufactured or recertified, as of January 1, 2008 must be equipped with an OPD (Overfill Protection Device) valve. Cylinders with a propane capacity over 45 lb (20kg) are manufactured and recertified with a POL valve (left hand thread). Cylinders manufactured or recertified before January 1, 2008 will be allowed to be filled until 10 years after their date of manufacture or recertification date.

If your tank is permanently mounted, it is not recertified, but visually inspected each time it is filled.

If your tank is used for automotive fuel use, falls under DOT and it is inspected and recertified every 5 years.

If your tank is removable, it is recertified every 10 years.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no inspection requirement on motor home A, B, or C tanks that are permanently mounted in the United State but is required in Canada. It is a good idea to check and repaint the bottom (if needed) of the tank at least once a year.

vic46

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Yes it does, and it can be recertified for an additional period by a qualified and licensed propane tech.

Whoa back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No certification required for permanently mounted LPG vessels. Note; vessel and not tank!

Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

past-MIdirector wrote:

There is no inspection requirement on motor home A, B, or C tanks that are permanently mounted in the United State but is required in Canada. It is a good idea to check and repaint the bottom (if needed) of the tank at least once a year.

Now you raise another major issue... if you live in Michigan and cross the border... tank falls under their rules.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Propane tank expiration
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS