RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Short Bed Camper on Long Bed Truck?????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short Bed Camper on Long Bed Truck?????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to purchase an short bed truck camper. I have a Chevy K2500 long bed with a combination tool box/60 gallon fuel tank mounted just behind the cab. My idea (hope) is to be able to put the camper in the bed without having to remove the tool box/fuel tank. The 750 pounds weight {60 gallons of fuel (450 pounds), the tool box (100 pounds) and tools (200 pounds)} will keep the center of gravity for both items ahead of the rear axle. I will put a 2X6 on edge across the entire width of the tank to support any forward motion of the camper. I am aware that I may have to double up on this 2X6 to provide clearance for the truck's rear tail/stop lights. That is another issue that I will address once I am ready to make the final decision.

Has anyone done this before?
Would I still use the regular TorkLift tie downs for a standard 8 foot long camper?
What comments/concerns do you have?

Thank you,
LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
2005 Chevy K2500 Duramax
2007 HitchHiker 32.5 FK SBG Fifth Wheel Trailer (Winter home)
2008 Polaris RZR Side by Side (Best toy)
2013 Northern-Lite 8'11" truck camper (Summer traveller)

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am doing the SB camper on a LB truck:

You may need to make some sort of blocking device between the front of the camper and the bulkhead of the truck bed. I did this for my generator:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the response. Mine will look similar except a fuel tank in place of the gen set.

I am still hoping for some comments on the tie down system.

LeRoy

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a slightly different twist on the same thing, our camper is a long bed camper on a long bed truck, to make more storage and not to have a hitch carrier on the front or back we just slide the camper back and forth for the desired storage area needed.

I have several wooden frames from 2x4 to throw in the front of the camper.

The camper COG is 32 inches from the front towards the back, so lots to play with. It looks a bit silly but as long as the COG is forward of the axle, plus your counter weight equipment,
the truck will not know any different....

In this picture the COG point is the "S" in NorthStar"

Also the torklift tiedowns still work , you will have to add a small piece of chain or a few of the quik-link pieces at the front tie down.

In our case it solves the problem of storage for dirty , heavy items, anything we want to stay clean we just put them in heavy duty garbage bags...

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WiWi wrote:

...I am still hoping for some comments on the tie down system...

I did what woodhog did: extra chain on the Tork Lift system. I am not sure how well the new angle of a camper being set back farther would work with Happi Jak tie downs.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may find that the additional 750 lbs and truck camper may exceed your rear axle capacity on a 3/4T. My 6100 lb rear axle has 2700 lbs on it when empty and I had to shift weight to the front to be able carry my setup within axle limits.

Arctic Fox 811S-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for details of a short bed TC on 9' deck.

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed Lance 845 on my recently purchased LB Chevy CC. My current plan is to see if I can get one of the local boat fiberglass fabricators to build me an enclosure to fit in that space between the cab and the camper. I have about 18 to 20 inches there that would make great storage space as my Lance has very little, none on the outside. This camper was one we used on our SB Dodge that we traded in on the Chevy. So if I can't get something build, or build something myself that looks decent, will probably consider trading the TC for a long bed model.
I am using the same wood platform as mentioned above to keep the camper from sliding forward into my tail lights. The CG is the same, as the difference in a SB and a LB, is the wheelbase length. The rear axle is the same distance from the back of the bed, on both, from my measurements.

Did have Happijacs on my Dodge and was well pleased with them, but the angle would have put my driver's side tie down over my fuel filler opening. The Torklift tie downs were an easy install and get a better angle to avoid my fuel fill. I too use a short length of chain to get the required I need.
In both of these photos, I have Happijac tie downs on the rear but didn't feel the Chevy bumper was strong enough to not bend. So I removed the Happijacs and installed a set of rear Tork Lift ones, both front and rears from Tweetys.com

The opening betwen the cab and the front of the TC is 18 to 20 inches front to back and 27 inches from the bed rail up to the camper overhang. Would make lots of good storage space if I can get it filled in, to look better.

* This post was last edited 09/10/12 02:41pm by joe b. *   View edit history

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, a two foot spacer looks really strange. I suppose if you have to, you have to, but otherwise...just say no! It's quite the contrast to most of us who are trying to make our rigs ride/handle better!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In theory, the short bed camper on a long bed truck will handle no differently than the same on a short truck since the COG will be the same on both with respect to the rear axle. And... it is my contention that by virtue of the long bed truck weighing more than a short truck that it will handle better than the short/short counterpart.

As far as "looks strange" goes... well, that is subjective, but I sure do like the added space!

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is a bit weird looking, but all the calculations work out and the truck does not know if the camper is snugged up to the front of the bed or not, only those looking at it...

The space really comes in handy in an RV combination where there never seems to be enough space....(small camper on a tin box truck)...

Also threw out all the seats in the rear of the truck, works out nice..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short Bed Camper on Long Bed Truck?????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS