|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Recirculating toilet for boondocking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Brassica

Snow belt

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/13 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

... On top of creating a nasty unsanitary situation they also stink after just a couple days.
I have dry camped for a week or more and never filled the black tank in my toy hauler. ...

Thanks for all the insightful answers, everybody.

Meanwhile, over at the GMC Motorhome message board, they are arguing over whether there is a smell. "It stinks" and, "Does not!"

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/13 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might have to go over there and weigh in to that GMC M/H "stink/don't stink" argument...cause I know MY ---- don't stink!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

jwmII

out west

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/13 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a house boat with a Monomatic recirculating toilet and a 60-70 gallon blackwater holding tank. With that combination you could go a long time before having to hit the pump out station. The combination in a trailer or motorhome would indeed extend the time between dumping. Just beware that the recirculating toilet can get rank fast so be prepared to service it. If you get one you'll figure it out.

jwmII

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/13 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

I must be missing something..I have boondocked a week a time, and never filled the black tank. Now..that was just two of us..and usually just me, not a family.
Gary Haupt

The first trailer I had in 1980's had a recirculating toilet and a VERY small holding tank. I think only one for the black and gray combined. I did not like it. Black water holding is never a problem for me.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/13 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fulltiming friend uses a composting toilet in his TT.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

If I were boondocking in a place where I had no ready access to a dump station, I'd consider a "bag toilet" made by Go Anywhere and sold at www.easycaretoilet.com. The toilet itself wouldn't take that much space, as it folds up, and a large amount of waste bags will go into an ordinary bag of garbage, or put into plastic bags from the store (which don't bring attention when tossing them in a trash can.) That way, there is zero use of black water.

Only downside is that the bags used for the toilet are $3.00 each, but can be used for more than one "session".

Back in the 80s I made a bucket toilet out of a 5 gal bucket, scrap of wood and a seat. We used it with 8 gal trash bags in our 13 ft Cree and our tent. It had three rooms and one was the bathroom with its own exit door so we didn't have to stink up the tent.
Now we use 4 gal waste can bags to line the TTs commode. (single use) It saves a lot of water from not having to flush and leaves the black tank empty for the showers we get to take with the extra water. There is a added benefit in that we never have to worry about our black tank smelling bad or getting plugged up.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recirculators are still in use in some older aircraft. Have you used the restroom in an old 747 towards the end of a fourteen hour flight?

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rvingman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/13 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted on another thread, but I think the simplest, most responsible solution is this: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1945350,00.html

Please don't use one of those plastic bags which last 150 years and throw it in the landfill!

However, with the above method (we use pet bedding wood shavings instead of sawdust) you can use a biodegradable bag and deposit in a composting toilet. The only time there is any noticeable odor is if the bag is closed and not getting air and left in the sun for several days. But, if you know there is a composting toilet nearby, it is very simple, easy, virtually odor free and does not use water! FYI, if you do choose this method it works much better to minimize or divert #1.

I know this is not a popular subject and there are undoubtedly some deniers out there, right now who will never admit they have biological functions and I say good luck with your robotic lifestyle. But, our sewage system is very wasteful.

2000 New Horizons 5th wheel
Western Wilderness truck camper
My blog

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option:

This isn't exactly 100% environmentally friendly, but supposedly plastic bags from a grocery store bio/photo degrade. Since they are plentiful as litter, I found a use for them:

The fit perfectly when opened on my TT's toilet. So, because my rig is parked for the season at a festival, and I winterized it, I use those, Zip-tie them tightly shut, then toss them in a waste receptacle (which is also Zip-tied when near full and tossed in a dumpster).

No stink, and it puts to use all the plastic grocery bags.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Recirculating toilet for boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS