|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with 2012 Ford Expedition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
steve_sheldon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Guys,

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition with the tow package. It's GVWR is 9200. I just got a 2001 Jayco Eagle 298, it's 30ft long and ways about 7200lbs but has a GVWR also of 9200 (although I will never be loading it up like that).

Is that safe to tow? The numbers add up but on the freeway I could feel it pulling me around changing lanes. I am wondering if the problem is too much weight or me not being experienced in towing.

It had weight distribution but not sway control, will sway control make a big difference?

I have to say that towing this lot has left me feeling a little nervous, I'm concerned that I might have overdone it, from you guys with more experience I would appreciate some honest feedback...

2011 Jayco Eagle 298
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Diesel

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not think it is a good match for your vehicle. from what specs I see it is a very tongue heavy trailer but that doesn't mean anything now as you already own it

The first thing you need to go do( and I mean today or tomorrow) is find a cat scale and get it weighed ready to camp.
Until you come back with all the figures of
-truck + trailer with WDH
-truck + trailer w/o WDH
-truck alone

there is nothing we can tell you

but yes you also need a sway device.. if not 2

steve_sheldon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the advice, I won't have it out of storage next until next week, I will get those weights then.

I just went to an RV dealer, they recommended getting an Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. Has anybody had any experience with these? Do they work well?

Thanks again

popupcamping wrote:

I do not think it is a good match for your vehicle. from what specs I see it is a very tongue heavy trailer but that doesn't mean anything now as you already own it

The first thing you need to go do( and I mean today or tomorrow) is find a cat scale and get it weighed ready to camp.
Until you come back with all the figures of
-truck + trailer with WDH
-truck + trailer w/o WDH
-truck alone

there is nothing we can tell you

but yes you also need a sway device.. if not 2

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the equalizer is one of the most popular and would be a good choice as is the reese straight line. Any with integrated sway control will be better.
Andersen is another choice but not as common. But until you weigh your trailer loaded for camping you wont know what size to get other than making an estimate.

there are numerous threads on here about WDH's just search reese and equalizer

steve_sheldon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am having one professionally installed at the dealership, hopefully they know what's needed on the weight side. They seem knowledgeable.

Steve

popupcamping wrote:

the equalizer is one of the most popular and would be a good choice as is the reese straight line. Any with integrated sway control will be better.
Andersen is another choice but not as common. But until you weigh your trailer loaded for camping you wont know what size to get other than making an estimate.

there are numerous threads on here about WDH's just search reese and equalizer

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steve_sheldon wrote:

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition with the tow package. It's GVWR is 9200. I just got a 2001 Jayco Eagle 298, it's 30ft long and ways about 7200lbs but has a GVWR also of 9200 (although I will never be loading it up like that).

Is that safe to tow? The numbers add up but on the freeway I could feel it pulling me around changing lanes. I am wondering if the problem is too much weight or me not being experienced in towing.

It had weight distribution but not sway control, will sway control make a big difference?

I have to say that towing this lot has left me feeling a little nervous, I'm concerned that I might have overdone it, from you guys with more experience I would appreciate some honest feedback...
Your Expedition probably has a maximum tongue weight limit of 920#. You can look at the label on the receiver to verify this.

A 30' trailer should have a tongue weight percentage of 13% for good towing stability. This means the maximum loaded trailer weight should be limited to about 920#/0.13 = about 7100#. Since the empty weight of your Eagle 298 is 7200#, it is not likely you will be able to remain within the rating of the receiver.

IMO, the Eagle 298 is too heavy for your Expedition. The maximum loaded trailer weight will be limited by either the receiver's tongue weight rating or the Expedition's "payload" or rear GAWR.

You should look at the TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION placard on the driver's door edge/pillar. Find the maximum allowable weight of Occupants and Passengers. On another placard, you should find the values for front and rear GAWR. If you can provide these numbers, we can provide some advice on how much trailer your Expedition can handle. And, we also would need to know your best estimate of the weight of passengers and cargo you plan to carry in/on the Expedition when loaded for camping.

If you decide to keep the Eagle 298, I strongly recommend you get a WDH with integrated sway control or, at least, add two friction sway control bars to the existing setup.

Ron

steve_sheldon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, Ron.

Thanks for the advice on my Expedition and travel trailer. Here are some numbers I was able to cobble together.

The trailer
Dry Weight 7300 lbs
Payload Capacity 1900 lbs
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 9200 lbs
Hitch Weight 870 lbs

The car
Front GAWR: 3300 lbs
Rear GAWR: 4250 lbs
GCWR: 15000 lbs
GVWR: 9200 lbs

It also says the combined weight of cargo and passengers should never exceed 1446 lbs.

It is equipped with a heavy duty trailer tow package if that matters. It basically adds a Class IV hitch, a tow/haul mode on the transmission, a sway control module in the computer to manage wheel braking if things get really bad etc.

Additional Weight
In the car itself will be me, my wife and the dog, so about 340lbs total. Am I correct in thinking we will be ok because 340lbs + 870lbs (1210lbs) is less than the 1446lb cargo limit?

In terms of added weight, we will always be in campgrounds so all we will really be adding are clothes, 2 people, a dog and some cookware -and maybe a guitar ;-)

In the back the clothes, cookware and bathroom supplies, laptop computers etc can't weigh more than a couple of hundred lbs, if that.

We will never fill the water tanks because we will always be on full hookup.

The dealer checked and said it will tow fine (and Geico never questioned anything either). I really hope I didn't put my trust in the wrong place.

Thanks again for the advice.
Steve

Ron Gratz wrote:

steve_sheldon wrote:

Your Expedition probably has a maximum tongue weight limit of 920#. You can look at the label on the receiver to verify this.

A 30' trailer should have a tongue weight percentage of 13% for good towing stability. This means the maximum loaded trailer weight should be limited to about 920#/0.13 = about 7100#. Since the empty weight of your Eagle 298 is 7200#, it is not likely you will be able to remain within the rating of the receiver.

IMO, the Eagle 298 is too heavy for your Expedition. The maximum loaded trailer weight will be limited by either the receiver's tongue weight rating or the Expedition's "payload" or rear GAWR.

You should look at the TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION placard on the driver's door edge/pillar. Find the maximum allowable weight of Occupants and Passengers. On another placard, you should find the values for front and rear GAWR. If you can provide these numbers, we can provide some advice on how much trailer your Expedition can handle. And, we also would need to know your best estimate of the weight of passengers and cargo you plan to carry in/on the Expedition when loaded for camping.

If you decide to keep the Eagle 298, I strongly recommend you get a WDH with integrated sway control or, at least, add two friction sway control bars to the existing setup.

Ron

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it is not safe to tow. You have over done your tow vehicle. Needs to be shorter and lighter.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,

It basically boils down to whether you want to exceed Ford's maximum tongue weight specification -- and by how much.

According to the online Owners Manual, the max tongue weight is 920#.
Since your trailer is a 2001 model, the actual dry weight is likely to be 200-400# heavier than the published 7300#.
So, even if minimally loaded, the weight might be around 8000#.

As was pointed out earlier, you should load the trailer approximately as it would be loaded for camping and measure the axle loads to determine the loaded tongue weight.
If you're going to exceed the receiver's tongue weight rating -- it would be good to know by how much.

Ron

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He just bought this thing, selling it will result in losing money. So the first thing to do is go weigh the set up and see if it will all work. telling him it is too big at this point is frankly pointless

* This post was edited 09/15/12 07:56pm by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with 2012 Ford Expedition
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS