|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 in Arkansas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
VickienFred

Plano, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just traveled I-40 westbound from Memphis to Little Rock. We were advised to get off I-40 between Brinkley and Hazen to avoid construction and long delays. We exited I-40 and took hwy-70 for that distance (which runs parallel). That road was horrible. Rough, narrow, and no shoulder. We need to backtrack in about 3 weeks. Has anyone traveled I-40 in that area recently? I think I would rather go through construction than do hwy-70 again.

WC7610

sioux city

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not traveled from Brinkley to Little Rock lately, but traveled Little Rock west to Russellville a few weeks ago and the construction/road condition wasn't any worse than anyplace else I've seen lately. Only thing I would tell you is to problably not go thru Little Rock at rush hour.

1989 Foretravel U280 40' Cat DP

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-40 is one-lane both directions between miles 199.5 and 203.5 according to latest Arkansas Highway Dept. information. You can go through the construction if you want to, but one-lane traffic on a busy interstate usually means traffic gets backed up for miles at the merge point.

You might think about US 67 northbound from Little Rock, then US 64 eastbound to Memphis.

CT_WANDERER

E. Lyme, CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did that run going west. Was a few traffic stops due to road work and some long single lane driving. I think it was worth the little slower drive to stay on I-40. I would guess I lost about 45 minutes of drive time.

fatmanobx

Russellville, Ar. Home Base

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through there two weeks ago and it was moving right along. I was through there about noon and there were not any delays..The time before that I sat in traffic for about 30 mins. or so and it opened back up...it's all part of being on the road to me...

2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

2Macs

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/12 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through there in June. Spent 1 1/2 hours in the backup going west.
Used US 70 on the return and was well on my way to Memphis after construction before traffic that had passed me before construction passed me again. US 70 is not as rough as parts of I-40. Using the bypass is not a problem at 55 mph.

dboliek1112

Perryville, AR & Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frankly, it's hard to say because it depends on the work that is being done on the highway when you go by. Much of that work has to do with building change lanes, etc and most of that work that involves stopping traffic is done for the time being. Work on closed lanes and bridges doesn't always require stopping traffic. Last time we went from LR to Memphis three weeks ago, we slowed to probably 50 mph through the entire construction zone, but no stopping. Same on the return trip from Memphis to LR. As you go east, you can check with westbound truckers if you have CB. Since you're driving a Phaeton... even if you stop... fix a sandwich... then go when you can.

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." Benjamin Franklin

Dave and Missy Boliek
Roxeanne and Maggie Moo Pie
2000 Winnebago Chieftain
2007 Saturn Aura

RamblinManGA

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi from GA/Az. . . Just came East today (sans trlr)on I-40 and at 8 a.m. hit their rush hour. 22 miles West of Little Rock for about 20 miles, took 55 mins of stop & go. Lots of construction stuff, but it was pouring rain, so nobody was actually doing any. The second const. zone past L R was 1 lane, but again no workers, so no problem. The contruction on I-55 South at Memphis is awful, especially in a driving rainstorm ! ! ! regards, Craig

Formerly 'Seahawk09'

edm3rd

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was on US 64 today (westbound from West Memphis/Marion near the I-40/I-55 junction).
It is rice-harvesting season, probably 20 farm 18-wheelers headed to/from elevators/fields for each over the road 18-wheeler I met, and probably true on US 70 as well.

edm3rd

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seahawk09 wrote:

Hi from GA/Az. . . Just came East today (sans trlr)on I-40 and at 8 a.m. hit their rush hour. 22 miles West of Little Rock for about 20 miles, took 55 mins of stop & go. Lots of construction stuff, but it was pouring rain, so nobody was actually doing any. The second const. zone past L R was 1 lane, but again no workers, so no problem. The contruction on I-55 South at Memphis is awful, especially in a driving rainstorm ! ! ! regards, Craig

For anyone crossing the Mississippi River from Arkansas at Memphis take the I-40 split (bear left) in West Memphis, not the I-55 leg.
Within 2-3 miles after crossing the river you will join I-240, bear left if heading east on I-40; bear right if headed to I-55 South. This completely avoids the construction.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 in Arkansas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS