RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Extended Service Plan: Good Sam Warranty Concerns

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Extended Service Plan

> Good Sam Warranty Concerns

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
marsharing

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Good Sam Extended Warranty and am beginning to think that I have made a bad choice for extended warranty.

I had some work done at Camping World and they had a problem getting authorization for the work that needed to be done. This was an electrical problem. The warranty did not cover any diagnostic labor.

Then we had work done recently on the hydraulic system, by a large RV dealer and repair center in St. Louis. They did all the right things, getting authorization and saving the bad parts for inspection. It turned out that the part had to be made by Winnebago and came as a "unit" instead of just a part. Putting the entire unit in was less expensive so that is what they did. Good Sam did not pay them all that they had been authorized. They told me this would be the last work they would do under the Good Sam Warranty.

We are currently in Florida, and have had a little work done while we are here (nothing major so the warranty did not come into play), however this repair person also has had horrific problems with Good Sam and will not work under their warranty.

But my biggest concern: I called over a week ago to talk to the service adviser that handled my hydraulic problem to get the Good Sam take on what was repaired and how the warranty was used. I have not heard from them yet.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the GS extended warranty, and have used it to replace our refrig when it failed. However, I would not take it to a CW for service under the warranty. We had a quality dealer and repair shop evaluate the problem, and document it it Good Sams, and they paid the claim with no problem. Service at CW gets into too much detail, apparently they prefer to work for cash customers instead of warranty work.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shops often will not make money on warranty work, and a lot of times they will lose money, so it's understandable that they would prefer a cash customer. They will also take their regular customers first, over a customer that just came in for warranty work. That's why it's a good idea to buy from, and establish a good relationship with a local dealer/repair shop.
RV dealers are an Independant entity, and can choose who they want to give service to. Owners complain all the time that their local dealer won't do warranty work because they purchased somewhere else for a better deal. Just because someone purchased a certain brand of RV, doesn't mean another dealer has to work on it.
Good business practice, maybe not, but it happens all the time.

Scott Blanc

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with the ESP repair process. Please e-mail me your information (name and address) so I can look into the circumstances of your claim. I'll be happy to insure that it is handled properly.

We now have a database of repair facilities that have agreed to accept payment directy from us and stand behind their work. If you call our call center BEFORE you take your rig in for warranty work, we can direct you to the closest facility that we have a relationship with. There are currently over 800 preferred provders in our database.

Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Continued Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

Good Sam Care Team

Denver

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marsharing wrote:

I have the Good Sam Extended Warranty and am beginning to think that I have made a bad choice for extended warranty.

I had some work done at Camping World and they had a problem getting authorization for the work that needed to be done. This was an electrical problem. The warranty did not cover any diagnostic labor.

Then we had work done recently on the hydraulic system, by a large RV dealer and repair center in St. Louis. They did all the right things, getting authorization and saving the bad parts for inspection. It turned out that the part had to be made by Winnebago and came as a "unit" instead of just a part. Putting the entire unit in was less expensive so that is what they did. Good Sam did not pay them all that they had been authorized. They told me this would be the last work they would do under the Good Sam Warranty.

We are currently in Florida, and have had a little work done while we are here (nothing major so the warranty did not come into play), however this repair person also has had horrific problems with Good Sam and will not work under their warranty.

But my biggest concern: I called over a week ago to talk to the service adviser that handled my hydraulic problem to get the Good Sam take on what was repaired and how the warranty was used. I have not heard from them yet.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Hello,

I am terribly sorry your having this trouble with your ESP service. I have sent your issues up to our ESP Team to look into your issues and see if we can help with resolving them.

Wes Robinson
Good Sam Care Team
goodsamcs@goodsamfamily.com

marsharing

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all the good information. I had already had over $25,000.00 worth of non warranty work done at the establishment in St. Louis.

I would think Camping World being related to Good Sam would be a choice place to get warranty work done.

I am more concerned about the lack of follow through with me the customer from Good Sam. When you are paying over $200.00 a month for a warranty I would expect better service.

thestoloffs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott Blanc wrote:

We now have a database of repair facilities that have agreed to accept payment directy from us and stand behind their work. If you call our call center BEFORE you take your rig in for warranty work, we can direct you to the closest facility that we have a relationship with. There are currently over 800 preferred provders in our database.

Scott:

I just had to call a repairman for the 3 year old A/C on my MH. Before I chose a repair facility, I called the number on my ESP card and spoke with "Michael" from your team. I advised him that I had just received the postcard from ESP, and wanted to know which repair facilities in my area (Fort Lauderdale FL) were in your database.

He told me that "there were no approved facilities in my area; in fact, there was no such database", but he could look up who was listed in the area phonebook. And, yes, he'd seen the postcard text, but he didn't have access to any such database.

As a result, I called a local mobile repairman who promptly diagnosed the problem, called and got authorization to replace the A/C, including labor on both the A/C unit and the incompatible and therefore obsoleted Dometic thermostat (which I am paying for the part itself) -- but not the service call charge of $90, apparently because I should have driven the MH from my long-term campsite to a local repair facility (if I could have found one locally -- there aren't any CW's within 200 miles, and few RV fixed repair facilities south of Martin County, FL).

Seems like an inconsistent message your team is sending out.

(But, I'm not complaining about lack of coverage; you are paying all of the labor and for the replacement A/C unit -- roughly equal to the premium we've paid for the 3 year policy. A reasonable bargain, to my way of thinking.)

Scott Blanc

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As of yesterday, our claims administration office has not heard back from the shop with an estimate for the latest problem. Once they have a diagnosis and estimate, they can approve the claim the same day.

On the initial jack repair, the cost to replace the failed part, instead of replacing the entire unit would have been about $2,200. The repair shop went ahead and replaced the entire unit anyway, at a cost of $4,531. Maybe less labor but much more expensive parts. Our responsibility is to repair the unit if it can be repaired for less than the cost of replacement. That helps us keep the cost of the coverage down. We ended up approving $2,409 towards the replacement.

Scott Blanc

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I apologize for your inconvence. We would never insist that you pull your generator out yourself and I don't know why this shop did. As we have been discussing in this thread, we do have a list of Preferred Providers available that can provide you with superior service if you call us first (just call the number on the back of your member card) and we can direct you to the closest facility to you. We don't insist on rebuilding components unless (1) the rebuild component is available and (2) the rebuilt componet is just as reliable as a new one. Non-Preferred Providers may not be as cooperative as those shops that we work with all the time in accessing rebuilds.

Please e-mail me your work order and I will cover the unpaid portion of the repair bill.

jhsvt123

Corpus Christi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently we had cause to use the Good Sam repair warranty that we have been paying a fortune for all this time. The generator went out and nothing I tried would fix it. I found a repair facility about an hour away and called them. They wanted ME to take the generator out of the bus somehow. I'm at an oil field gate sitting on dirt. We borrowed an engine hoist and were able to get it out of the bus. So after a week the tech called and said the main inverter board in the generator needed to be replaced. The board cost like $2200. There are no rebuilt ones available. So since at one time there were rebuilt boards that is all Good Sam will pay for, about $1200. So on top of the $500 deductible we had to come up with another $1400 or so. That sure hurt. The tech said it was stated in the warranty but is part of the "fine print". He also said he has never had this problem with any other repair warranty they have dealt with. I'm sure gonna find out if there are any other warranties that are better than Good Sam for sure. The generator will be back on Friday and then the fun begins, putting it back in. Oh yeah, the only warranty is for 90 days. Thought I would try to warn others if they are counting on this warranty to help with repairs. I'm sure there are other things in the fine print for other type repairs as well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Extended Service Plan

> Good Sam Warranty Concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS