RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Finally found my truck- Super Duty, 5.4L (but read on...)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finally found my truck- Super Duty, 5.4L (but read on...)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

Well, I finally pulled the trigger! After missing out on a few rides that sold out from under me, last weekend I scooped up a:

2008 F250 XLT, cloth, crew cab, 4x4, shortbed, manual shift t/case, 5.4L, 3.73 gears. Only 45,000mi[emoticon] and very, very happy with the price I got from the auto dealer I used to work for.

2008 F250 XLT 5.4L

At first, I really wanted the V10...then I got to thinking...95% of the miles I put on this truck are going to be around town...even if the 5.4L manages 1.5mpg, maybe 2mpg better than the V10 would've (say 10mpg vs. 12mpg?) I will save a few bucks on fuel each month. Plus, my TT plans are moderate; with just me, the girlfriend, the baby, and maybe the in-laws tagging along, a 24-26' that sleeps 5-6 will be plenty...no huge triple-axle toyhaulers in my plans.

Now, having said that, Priority 1 is to re-gear; the 3.73s are going away for 4.30s if they are available, 4.10s if they aren't. 4.30s weren't a factory option with the 5.4L, but I am yet to research if I can still have them put in...if not, I'll live with 4.10s.

Two things I've already done: I swapped out the 34" 275/65R20s for 265/70R17s. Even with the deeper gears I'm going to go with, tires that are less than 32" tall are going to be easier on everything than the big 275s on 20" wheels. Plus, I read (trailer life 2008 towing guide) that I need to subtract 500lb from the tow rating with 18" or 20" wheels, so going to 17" wheels was, for me, a no-brainer. I'm 40 going on 70, so my desire to roll around on 20s is non-existent, LOL.

Also had steps put on so my in-laws (in their 60's) can get in a lot easier, and momma can get the baby in & out without the climb.

Overall, extremely happy with my purchase; I am really enjoying the solid, heavy-duty feel of the truck, and for my usage, the 5.4L with 4.30s or 4.10s will have plenty of motor...and, I don't need to be the first to the top of the grade, I just want to get there reliably. I'll tow 55-62mph anyway, so if I'm at 40mpg cresting the grade, then I'll just have something in common with the semis [emoticon]

Now, those of you who own Super Duties with 5.4Ls, any advice, tips, or tricks you care to share?

Thanks to those who weighed in on my pre-purchase, advice-seeking threads.
Moved to Tow Vehicle forum from Towing.

* This post was edited 09/25/12 05:57pm by an administrator/moderator *

BManning
baking in Phoenix ">
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice looking truck...love the white.

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, mod...meant to post in tow vehicles but accidently posted in "towing."

And thanks p/u/c; living in AZ, hard to beat white with the heat & dust that's a part of life out here, LOL!

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new to you wheels!

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get a nice stripe to match your trailer will look really sharp.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting old....and out of touch[emoticon]
When you mentioned that it was a short bed....I'm forgetting that it's got the crew cab, so it's certainly not short like my old 1980 Chevy C-10 was[emoticon]

That is a really sweet looking ride, and I'm sure you and the family will enjoy it. I think you were smart to go with the smaller engine, for the reasons you stated. I can't tell you how many folks have to go buy a 4x4, and then never take it out of 2-wheel drive....and then lose the mileage and the $$ for a feature they never use. That engine and the new gears should handle you needs just fine.

Happy Camping[emoticon]

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats, Good looking truck and its got a great transmission behind it. I know I have one with the 6.4 and it works great. I really think your engine is more reliable than mine. My son has that engine in his 150 with 3:55 gears its ok but I had that engine in a 04 150 with 4:10 gears and it was great for pulling what you are going to be. Your mileage will decrease alot when you change the gearing, well on the highway atleast. Safe travels, Will

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful truck! Looks like mine except 4X4. I would suggest giving the 3.73s a try before changing them out. I went from 3.73 to 4.56 in my '05 2500HD Hemi Ram at 100k miles and while I didn't regret it, I liked the 3.73 better. Either way you'll need to run at the rpm necessary to produce the HP necessary to pull the load up the grades. With the 4.30 or 4.56, you have no choice running empty. High rpm all the time. The 3.73 matches the engine pretty well at 1900~rpm, 2600~rpm and 3800~rpm at 60mph. Just my humble been there opinion. For treacherous mountain climbing at slower speeds, the lower gear may very well fit better.
The 5.4L in the SD is drive by wire and it is very conservative. It's power is there but it's deep in the long travel accelerator pedal. Use tow/haul mode. It's handy too around town when not towing if it's hilly. Even with tow/haul off, you'll notice it will downshift on it's own to maintain speed on the uphills and downhills while using cruise control.
I still have a hard time accepting 5w-20 oil but it's what Ford says it needs for it's VCT cam phasers. 5w-20 brings back excellent used oil analysis results so apparently it's just a mental thing.
Anxiously awaiting your towing report!
Wishing you many happy years and miles of good service with it!

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 101k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Equalizer 4 pt 10k.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats --- you have one of the most under rated motors ever made.

I have one, and if I had my way, I would tear it down, install direct injection and twin turbo / superchargers, then hijack the Ecoboost software, and make it into a V-10 with 4.6 economy.

One of the first bits of routine maintenance I would do beside a complete fluid / filter change is to clear the computers (as much as possible), and then have the dealer reflash it with the latest software updates.

Before you regear, I like you to do some back of the envelope.

Compare these options:

A) straight regear as you proposed.

B) What if you had an over / under drive gear

C) What if you just tweaked the ratios of the manual transmission (if that is possible

D) What if you just did nothing and towed in 3rd or 4th gear?

I'd like to see the engine torque / power curves, ratios all laid out and put against your actual load --- with field tests to see how it works with option (D) before you change anything.

Good luck!

* This post was edited 09/25/12 06:52pm by NewsW *

catfishmontana

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Congrats --- you have one of the most under rated motors ever made.

I have one, and if I had my way, I would tear it down, install direct injection and twin turbo / superchargers, then hijack the Ecoboost software, and make it into a V-10 with 4.6 economy.

One of the first bits of routine maintenance I would do beside a complete fluid / filter change is to clear the computers (as much as possible), and then have the dealer reflash it with the latest software updates.

Before you regear, I like you to do some back of the envelope.

Compare these options:

A) straight regear as you proposed.

B) What if you had an over / under drive gear

C) What if you just tweaked the ratios of the manual transmission (if that is possible

D) What if you just did nothing and towed in 3rd or 4th gear?

I'd like to see the engine torque / power curves, ratios all laid out and put against your actual load --- with field tests to see how it works with option (D) before you change anything.

Good luck!

It's an automatic. Did you look at his link?

2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finally found my truck- Super Duty, 5.4L (but read on...)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS