|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Dinghy Towing Guide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just received the 2012 Dinghy towing guide with my Motorhome magazine. I like to run through the vehicles just to see what the different manufacturers are offering.

The one that caught my eye as being a big pain in the bottom is the Ford Escape 4 and 6 cylinder units. It says that the transmission fluid level must be lowered during four-wheel-down towing.

Are they kidding? How would you 'just lower' the fluid level? Do you put back the same fluid when you're ready to drive?

To me, that car shouldn't have been offered for four-wheel-down towing. I can see removing a fuse or even adding a pump to the transmission, but who is going to remove fluid?

The Jeep products are probably the less fussy to set up to tow. I just didn't have good luck with the two new Jeeps that I owned and didn't want to try my luck again.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
New coach on order, (2015 Prevost Liberty Coach) arrival Nov. 2014.

B's Bunch

Shelbyville, TN. USA Why live any where else?

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 2012 focus. put trans in neutral and goooo. So far no trouble xxx. Larry

Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T The Double Wide

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

Mr Mark,On the Ford units that are authorized to be flat towed and, if it's one of those that has to have the transmission fluid lowered, the dealer will do it for you. And, according to all the Ford folks, dealers, and trans people I've talked to, it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED PRIOR TO DRIVING. It's only a small amount, around a pint or so. The reason is because the trans gets hotter when towing it and can, expand that fluid enough to puke some out. During normal operations, as in driving the unit, it will operate just fine with a pint low.

Come on, how can anyone buy into that?

The manufacture requires so many pints of oil or trans oil and then turns around and says..."oh, it's ok to run with it low if you want to buy one to tow"!?

It might be ok to do according to the "Ford Folks" which btw who are they? But I'll bet come warranty time and problems the Ford Folks won't be around to represent you! Have you ever seen the tests they did on engines and what happens to them when you run just one quart low? There's a reason the manuf decide how much oil a vehicle needs.

Just saying I thought I'd hear it all regarding toads but this one takes the cake!!!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr Mark,
On the Ford units that are authorized to be flat towed and, if it's one of those that has to have the transmission fluid lowered, the dealer will do it for you. And, according to all the Ford folks, dealers, and trans people I've talked to, it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED PRIOR TO DRIVING. It's only a small amount, around a pint or so. The reason is because the trans gets hotter when towing it and can, expand that fluid enough to puke some out. During normal operations, as in driving the unit, it will operate just fine with a pint low.

This Ford transmission thing has lots of folks cruising on over to other vehicles for their toads. Some have put up with it and are quite happy. I was interested in the Escape prior to our pick of the Honda CR-V but, I was not happy about that trans issue. So, we never even took a test drive in one. We did try the Chevy Equinox though. Not a bad unit. Drove real nice, very quiet, pretty good response for a 4-banger. But, as much as the War Department liked it, I could not get over the looks. It just wasn't appealing to me. We opted for the CR-V and it's been flawless in our journeys so far.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

RV CONUS

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just purchased the 2013 Sonic for flat towing.

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26414277.cfm

2006 Allegro Open Road 34WA, Workhorse W20, Allison 1000 6 speed
2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ
TST 507RV TPMS
2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chevrolet is all trouble free

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're totally satisfied with our 2003 Suzuki XL7 for 4-down towing. Been towing it now for 8 years with zero issues. Easy to set up, transfer case selector in "N", gear selector in "P" ignition on "ACC" to unlock steering wheel. Going to hang on to it as long as possible.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bdjrv wrote:

The Ford Escapee transmission must be lowered to the MINIUMUN level not below safe levels and Ford does back up their warranty.

If that's the case they should put it in writing!!!
My Saturn Vue has 49K miles on the odometer and based on my MH mileage it has been towed an additional 40K miles. I don't even think about the transmission oil. OK, they don't make that car anymore.
If I were to purchase a new car within the next year, and we have been thinking about it, it would be the Honda CRV. I'd rather purchase a Ford Escape, but not unless Ford permits towing in clear print.
JMHO

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of all the vehicles listed in the towing guide, Ford is the only manufacturer requiring removing transmission fluid. They also require it on the Ford Fusion. The Ford Escape Hybrid has no limitations.

I'm going to replace my '07 CR-V next year for a 2013 model. I sure like the ease of towing and not having to worry about the transmission fluid.

I wonder if the Ford dealer would charge for the fluid removal.... another reason to skip that model (in my opinion).

MM.

bdjrv

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford Escapee transmission must be lowered to the MINIUMUN level not below safe levels and Ford does back up their warranty.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2013 Chevy Equinox Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Dinghy Towing Guide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: