RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: No valves on the Water Heater..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No valves on the Water Heater..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm trying to winterize the water-system. But when I turn the pump on, pink stuff blows from the WH drain plug which is removed. Looks like I have to add more valves..

Which type of fitting/valve do I need? The tubing says 1/2",, But I dont know much more than that..

1995 E350 6bt/nv4500, 2006 Featherlite 24' surv toyhauler, 2007 DRZ400s well farkled, 1985 Vmax stock, 1985 Vmax custom

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RV 's do not come set up with a HWH bypass. You can add your self. CW or any RV dealer will have why you need. Comes as a kit with all needed parts.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After enlarging the picture, I think I see a valve on the bottom cold water inlet to the heater. Try turning this valve so the short handle points to the tubing that goes from the bottom to the top connections on the heater. This tubing is the bypass for winterizing and there should be a check valve in the hot water outlet at the top of the heater to keep the pink stuff from entering into the heater from that connection.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CloudDriver wrote:

After enlarging the picture, I think I see a valve on the bottom cold water inlet to the heater. Try turning this valve so the short handle points to the tubing that goes from the bottom to the top connections on the heater. This tubing is the bypass for winterizing and there should be a check valve in the hot water outlet at the top of the heater to keep the pink stuff from entering into the heater from that connection.

X2

Already has the kit installed. CloudDriver's instructions should take care of the problem.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried both WH valve positions with no luck..

I need some isolation valves.

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a valve that shuts off input to the HWH tank, another to shut off output from the HWH tank and a third valve that allows crossflow from the input line to the output line without actually entering the HWH tank. I'm not seeing those valves in your plumbing, but they are very easy to install with a couple valves, a cutter and some pex crimp rings.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rerod wrote:

If neither bottom valve position worked, then I suspect the check valve at the upper hot water outlet is stuck open. Replacing the valve with either another check valve, or a manual valve, will solve the problem.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mocoondo wrote:

You should have a valve that shuts off input to the HWH tank, another to shut off output from the HWH tank and a third valve that allows crossflow from the input line to the output line without actually entering the HWH tank. I'm not seeing those valves in your plumbing, but they are very easy to install with a couple valves, a cutter and some pex crimp rings.

Thanks everyone..

The valve on the bottom of the water heater isn't a shutoff valve. It either directs the flow into the WH or up the bypass.

Do I have to use crimp rings? I dont have the tool. Can someone tell me what the 1/2 pipe and valves are called please? So I dont sound to stupid calling around..

Dutch_12078 wrote:

rerod wrote:

If neither bottom valve position worked, then I suspect the check valve at the upper hot water outlet is stuck open. Replacing the valve with either another check valve, or a manual valve, will solve the problem.

I didn't realize a check valve was there. Thanks again.

* This post was edited 10/04/12 07:59am by rerod *

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rerod wrote:

Do I have to use crimp rings? I dont have the tool. Can someone tell me what the 1/2 pipe and valves are called please? So I dont sound to stupid calling around.

With the exception of the white bypass line, your piping looks like PEX tubing.

I doubt that you will need to do anything with the tubing, as the problem seems to be with the check valve in the top connection. Try disconnecting the tubing from both sides of the gray fitting at the top in your picture. The gray item must be a tee connected to the check valve. Remove the tee and check valve. It is possible that the check valve has something stuck in it holding it open. If it's shot, try Home Depot and Lowes for a similar replacement. If you can't find one, a regular shutoff valve will work too.

If you do need to do some piping work with the PEX, Sharkbite fittings work well. Home Depot carries them. Lowes has a similar product of another brand name.

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super.. Thanks.

I removed the check valve and was surprised to see it looked clean because there was allot of white mineral build up in the bottom of the WH.

I cant blow through it any direction. Should I be able to, or test it somehow?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No valves on the Water Heater..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS