|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Our last trip this year.... not why you think

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
poodlecamper1

Naugatuck Valley, CT USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrong Lane wrote:

Good luck with your surgury.

I started my winterization today for just about the same reason. I have a full ankle replacement scheduled in two weeks. No weight bearing for 12 weeks following surgury means I have a lot of chores to get done before my hospital visit. Oh well keeps my mind off the future

I'm seeing a doctor in November about a possible ankle replacement, fusion, or ...? Wow 12 weeeks non-weight-bearing. I don't know how I'll manage that------have already had both knees and both shoulders replaced---yes, I'm on my way to being bionic!

The Erlingheusers
Carol & Frank & Ollie (miniature poodle)
2010 Keystone Passport 245 RB
2009 GMC Sierra 5.4 V8 3.42

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, you folks are the best. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts and encouragement. As much as I dread and understand what is in store for me I continue to focus on the end result. Doing the work and gritting it out through rehab is undoubtedly the key for the best possible outcome and I am determined to do what I have to do to get there. Your support means a lot. Right now my focus is on seeing just how much fun we can have over the next week and 5 days at the foot of the Superstition Mountains bodes well for a fine time. Thanks again!

Here is where we are heading:

* This post was edited 10/07/12 10:46am by an administrator/moderator *

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about the lack of fall trips but the surgery results can be great. I made a small mistake after my second knee replacement, didn't have any pain, didn't use the morphine pump, didn't use the prescription pain killer (Norco). I did, however, walk too much the first week. No pain so no walker, cane or anything after three days, result, too much, too soon. Stay off it for awhile, at least stay off it unaided, use the walker, start off slow on the PT and let the incision and other surgery induced trauma heal, then give the PT hell. I am the one who hikes with the DGKs and it is nice to be able to keep up with them. Good luck and remember, even though the knee pain is gone, let the soft tissue heal before doing the Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love that picture Desert Captain! Beautiful spot. Should've mentioned that a friend had both knees and one hip replaced early last year and recovered well enough to be able to take 6 small trips with their fifth wheel and she is in her mid 60's!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was released from the Rehab Ward at the Tucson VA Hospital this morning following my complete knee replacement surgery 17 days ago. Had not anticipated a 17 day stay but didn't have much say in the matter. I hope that someday I can look back, smile and say it was worth it but given the intense pain I have been through (and continue to endure), not so sure I'll be glad I went through it. Got the knee to bend through 90 degrees yesterday and will start a new round of intense Physical Therapy on Monday but at least I am finally home.

Still optimistic about getting to Quartzite in late January but the knee has a long way to go before that will be possible.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with the replacement and have fun on your trip.

Two machines to get if you can are a mobility machine that you strap the leg in and it moves it back and forth and for the swelling a little Ice chest with pump, hoses and cooling pad. It will pump ice water up to the pad as needed.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

poodlecamper1

Naugatuck Valley, CT USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the OT was more difficult for me than the PT while I was in rehab. Especially the one where you sttod in place for x amount of minutes while you turned a bicycle type contraption with your arms. Oh the burning pain in my knees!! I'm betting you'll be off to Quartzite, no problem. I was allowed to drive after 4 weeks (had BOTH knees done) I never did regain full muscle strength in my right thigh (from waiting so long to have the surgery done) so I still go up stairs like a little kid, but I can walk a good distance. And no knee pain.
Seeing a surgeon next week about ankle replacement or fusion on left. :/

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain, My last job was RN on an orthopedic unit. We did mostly knees/hip replacements. The best advice that I can give, is probably the same as your health care team. Keep moving it, follow their weight-bearing instructions. Watch your weight. It's easy to gain when you're recuperating. If this knee was replaced due to wear/tear, the other knee probably,(Im just guessing, here)went everywhere the replaced one did. So, you may be looking at another replacement, especially since you've probably been favoring the operative leg. Good luck, some patients run into complications but most do very well, and are so glad they had the surgery.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 04:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm only looking at getting a possible repair to a torn meniscus. Two weeks maximum the Doc said I'd be down. Hopefully less.

Unfortunately, our camping is done for the year, also. Not for this though. The Cyclone is going to spend the winter just like it did last year. At RV Outlet with a loooong list of repairs before next season.

koda55

Jacksonville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck on your surgery. I have my knee replaccement scheduled for 8 January. To many years running on the flight deck. Need the knee replacement because I had a 4 cm baker cyst rupture in my knee. It tore the muniscus and by the time I had surgery to repair it the cartilage was completely worn off the bone.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Our last trip this year.... not why you think
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS