|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power Converter question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
klawklr650

Louisana

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A week ago I returned from a two week trip away from the fw. When I returned I found the battery sevice panel in my '08 Keystone Challenger to read "F" and the 12v lights were all very dim. Throughout the week the readings have been all over the map, from "F" to "C". So far today it is reading fully "C" charged.

Prior to the two week trip I'd noticed the 12v lights dimming at times then suddenly getting bright. I've checked the battery and it measures above 12 volts. Water level was good but it was time to add some for normal servicing (this battey is new as the fw was purchased in May). I've checked the connection at the battery and found no corrosion. The converter is a WFCO 9855 and my power dist panel is a WFCO 8930/50. I'm thinking I may have a bad converter. This fw was used as a pipeline residence in its former life. Now it's my residence so I am using all it can give me. As I am a new owner in this RV world, and at times drinking thru a firehose, does it sound as if I'm on the right track?

ken

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, sounds like a bad converter. Easy to check a couple different ways -
Watch it with a volt meter, watch for variations in voltage.
-or-
Unhook it, plug a plain old 12v battery charger on your batteries, and if everything acts normal, yup, converter is bad.

01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklift Tie downs & Stableloads, SuperHitch, F550 Rear Suspension, Roadmaster F & R Sway Bars, Rancho 9000s, Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 6v Golf Cart Batts, 100a truck charging circuit, 2kw Inverter,Dish Tailgator

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you measure voltage right on the red and white 12v wires from the converter you can confirm it has failed. Just as easy to remove and bench test. You should see a very steady 13.6 volts. Best to also test with a small load on it.

Easy swap http://www.bestconverter.com/9800-Series-_c_62.html

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check converter DC output when plugged into AC shore power......should be 13.6V DC

If lower, converter is not putting out enough to charge battery and supplement battery draw for DC system.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klawklr650 wrote:

WOW!! I didn't expect a response that fast. I did measure 13.6 at the battery cable with the battery disconnected a couple days ago. However, I haven't put a meter on it since and not when I was experiencing the dim light/low service panel reading. I will do that and see what it gives me. As I understand the way things "should" be, the lights should always be normal brightness unless I'm running solely on battery and it is indeed running down. Do I have a good grasp on the normal ops?

ken

Yep.......

when on battery only....lights etc. will dim as battery voltage drops due to not being recharged. (Fridge will stop working on propane due to low DC voltage...used for controls. Furnace will quit....uses DC to run fan/gas valve/controls. Water heater will quit....uses DC for gas valve/controls)

klawklr650

Louisana

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW!! I didn't expect a response that fast. I did measure 13.6 at the battery cable with the battery disconnected a couple days ago. However, I haven't put a meter on it since and not when I was experiencing the dim light/low service panel reading. I will do that and see what it gives me. As I understand the way things "should" be, the lights should always be normal brightness unless I'm running solely on battery and it is indeed running down. Do I have a good grasp on the normal ops?

ken

rhingst

Livingston, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Progressive converters are real good as they have the Charge Wizard which doe not charge at full rate 24/7 as others do. It periodically boosts the charge up to maintain the charge level of your battery. With one of them you will have to add very little water to your battery/batteries. I checked mine several weeks ago after not checking them for months and only had to add about a teaspoon to 2 of the cells in 2 batteries.

2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

overthehillbill

Patterson, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhingst wrote:

The Progressive converters are real good as they have the Charge Wizard which doe not charge at full rate 24/7 as others do. It periodically boosts the charge up to maintain the charge level of your battery. With one of them you will have to add very little water to your battery/batteries. I checked mine several weeks ago after not checking them for months and only had to add about a teaspoon to 2 of the cells in 2 batteries.

X-2 on the Progressive Dynamics 9200 with charge wizard. If yours is a WFCO it's either bad or will be soon.

Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great place to get converters

klawklr650

Louisana

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

klawklr650 wrote:

ken

Yep.......

when on battery only....lights etc. will dim as battery voltage drops due to not being recharged. (Fridge will stop working on propane due to low DC voltage...used for controls. Furnace will quit....uses DC to run fan/gas valve/controls. Water heater will quit....uses DC for gas valve/controls)

Thanks, I'll be watching and measuring throughout this week to see if I can validate my suspicions. If a replacement is required is a WFCO unit a good choice or should I look at offerings from Progressive?

ken

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power Converter question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS