|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power Converter question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on Progressive Dynamics or Xantrex products. Either is a good choice. X2 on Best Converter to purchase a replacement. Good folks and fast sales/shipping process.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have your battery bank connected to your converter when you are testing. Check the battery voltage with the converter shut off. Note the voltage. Then turn the converter on and wait a hour or so and recheck the voltage at the batteries. If the voltage has increased its working. If its the same the first thing to look at is the fuses on the converter. WFCO converters generally work fine in spite of some of the badmouthing they get. I have had three that worked just like they were supposed to. Randy at Best converters is the go-to guy for converters. He won't steer you wrong.

Jim

* This post was edited 10/09/12 09:37am by jauguston *

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

jeepman71

Colorado 80634

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the same converter last fall in a similar rig to yours for a friend. I talked to Randy at Best Converter.com and he commented that the WFCO converter of that series/model has been problematic and recommended one of the Paralax models. He recommended this over the Progressive because there was some good pricing at the time. Call Randy and ask for his imput, you won't be disippointed.

Jim

jeepman71

Colorado 80634

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bad, I believe it was PowerMax.

alltenofus

Early, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem starts and ends with WFCO. After two WFCO converters and 3 burnt up batteries I finally upgraded the converter and have had no trouble in 2 years with converter or battery. The WFCO overcharges the battery and cooks out the water. This issue is in many threads in many rv forums.

klawklr650

Louisana

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

You should have your battery bank connected to your converter when you are testing. Check the battery voltage with the converter shut off. Note the voltage. Then turn the converter on and wait a hour or so and recheck the voltage at the batteries. If the voltage has increased its working. If its the same the first thing to look at is the fuses on the converter. WFCO converters generally work fine in spite of some of the badmouthing they get. I have had three that worked just like they were supposed to. Randy at Best converters is the go-to guy for converters. He won't steer you wrong.

Jim

Thanks for the info. I know the fuses are good at least as of yesterday.

Ken

klawklr650

Louisana

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks jeepman for the info. i still haven't replaced the converter yet. I've been living off my battery charger. Money has been going to other projects, you know how it can get sometimes. Anyway, I need to get this done soon so I don't destroy the battery.

ken

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power Converter question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS