RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: aliner chalet or rockwood / flagstaff

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> aliner chalet or rockwood / flagstaff

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
98blazer

pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looking for a frame camper with a wet bath like the xl1935 chalet and the aliner expedition fhen i found the rockwood a124 and flagstaff t12sc the offerings from forest river are at a very attractive price point almost 10k cheaper than the chalet and 7k cheaper than the aliner and have more standard equipment i have to ask why such a big difference in price they all seem to be quality campers anybody have experience with any of these offerings at this point i would have to choose forest river though the chalet with the dormer was my 1st choice but for 10 grand i could ljve without the dormer any input would be appreciated

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have rented an Aliner in Alaska (not with the shower), it was an old one used a lot, but was very comfortable. My son-in-law & daughter have rented Aliners twice (no showers) they proved to be easy to setup & come down. Work well for them.

Thanks for mentioning the Rockwood A124, I didn't know they had one. Seems neat from the video.

Likewise, I didn't know about the Flagstaff T12sc, seems nice as well.

We looked at a used Charlet in Tucson at one time, just curious. If the prices on these other units are so much lower, I was hoping you would get some input on your questions.

Maybe they are more being made to lower the price. Something to look into, these hardsided folding RV trailers are pretty neat. I was impress with the old Aliners we have seen.

* This post was last edited 10/09/12 07:30pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Columbia Northwest (Aliner) and Chalet are very small companies and the trailers are not built very efficiently due to small production numbers.

The Flagstaff/Rockwood is built by Forest River which is a giant in the RV business. Probably the largest in numbers of units built. It is owned by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett).

Either Forest River can build them cheaper due to savings in volume or they are purposely attempting to put Aliner and Chalet out of business. Who knows?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

98blazer

pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/12 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from what i understand the a124 t12sc are twins as is the rest of line i would think aliner and chalet would lower there prices just the remain somewhat competitive i think the question now is do i choose the rockwood or flagstaff

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt that Forest River is selling anything at a loss to capture market share.

I think you would have to watch each brand constructed to understand the differences that make the F-R lines that much lower cost. You can't always see the differences in a sales walkthrough at a dealer's lot or RV show.

Then it would be up to you to decide whether the things that are different are worth the extra cost to you. That's what I had to do, to decide between F-R and Winnebago motorhomes, i.e. did the more costly construction, materials and methods, provide extra value to me. I've not been through this exercise for F-R's hardside pop-ups versus the older two brands. I have for small TTs and motorhomes only.

Choosing among Rockwood vs Flagstaff would be either a matter of choosing a dealership, going for either service or bigger discount on the sale, unless there are color differences in the tent and interior trim, or you have a strong preference for the name or decals on one or the other. Except for colors and decals, the two brands are identical.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

98blazer

pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have decided to go with the flagstaff found one online but the unit was sold the dealer placed a order for more so it will be on there lot in 6 to 8 weeks they will let me know waiting patiently

xzyfsk

Fortville Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new Rockwood A128s. That one has the storage on the front. We like it alot so far. It came fully loaded. It takes me all of 30 seconds to set it up and we can over night without unhooking from the tow vehicle. We couldn't bare to sell our popup of 15 years so we kept that one too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> aliner chalet or rockwood / flagstaff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS