|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> best route sarnia, ontario to texas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ulstergirl

collingwood

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just wondering about the safest route to take from sarnia, ontario to texas in November?

MottissMT36RL

The Woodlands; Tx-Whidbey Is, Wa (or in between)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/12 02:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2010 we drove from N. of Houston to Holland, MI. I don't know where your going in Texas. The route we took from Texarkana on the Tex/Ark state line was as follows: I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Memphis/Nashville,I-65 to Louisville KY. from louisville we went north to Holland MI. I have not driven in your direction above Louisville but MS S&T suggests I-94 to Detroit and I-75 through Cincinnati and pick up I-71 south of Cincy straight into Louisville. The part of your route I have driven is an easy pull and good road. I may could help with Texas if I knew where you was headed...Have a great trip...Be Safe...John

The Rig; 2009 (Dodge 2500 4x4x2 LB; 2008 Montana 3605RL)
Co-pilots: Wendy, Gypsy and Sunnie.
"Life is like a dance, you learn as you go and so is RVing"

StevenH

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/12 03:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would watch the US weather reports and see if there was any need to adjust routing to try and miss any bad weather.

The route I would take would be I-69 from Port Huron to Indianapolis, I-70 from Indianapolis to Effingham ( lots of truck stops there) I-57 towards Memphis. When you cross into Missouri take I-55 south towards Memphis. Just outside Memphis take I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 to Texas.

You avoid Detroit but get to deal with Indianapolis. It's a few miles longer than going thru Detroit, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis. Both are good routes. I think the Indianapolis route may have less hills.

Enjoy the trip we hope to be headed that way by Jan.

Steve

97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot

TubaPete

Comstock Park, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StevenH wrote:

I would watch the US weather reports and see if there was any need to adjust routing to try and miss any bad weather.

The route I would take would be I-69 from Port Huron to Indianapolis, I-70 from Indianapolis to Effingham ( lots of truck stops there) I-57 towards Memphis. When you cross into Missouri take I-55 south towards Memphis. Just outside Memphis take I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 to Texas.

You avoid Detroit but get to deal with Indianapolis. It's a few miles longer than going thru Detroit, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis. Both are good routes. I think the Indianapolis route may have less hills.

Enjoy the trip we hope to be headed that way by Jan.

Steve

This would be my suggestion as well.

Tuba Pete

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've taken both those routes, plus others, and have found they all have their pluses and minuses. So now, I basically let the weather dictate my route......if the weather is good, I will angle southwest toward Texas, but if it's looking like snow, or the temps are below freezing, I'll head straight south to get below the bad weather, and then take I-10 west.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where in Texas? Going to Houston or the Gulf Coast, you can run south to Mobile, Gulfport, or New Orleans, the across I-10. Going to Dallas or Amarillo, that is a lot of out of the way mileage.

I drive to Detroit almost every year, and from Oklahoma to different places in Texas (Houston, Dallas, West Texas) several times a year.

I have a collection of routes I use to avoid bad weather (I assume that is your "safety" issue) that range from going west to DesMoines then down through Kansas City on I-35, to going south on I-75 to Cincinnati, then connecting across the Middle South to I-40, I-30 or even I-20 to stay on the warm, wet side of the storm system. It is a matter of "where will be the winter storm front be the days I am traveling?"

The shortest, most direct, usually the fastest route toward the northern middle of Texas is I-94 or I-80/90 to I-55 to I-44 to Oklahoma City, then south on I-35 to Dallas. That is the gateway to Austin, San Antonio, on 35, or to Houston on I-45. Sometimes I will use I-69 to Indianapolis, or I-75 to Dayton, then I-70, to avoid a storm in western Michigan or northern Illinois. But that is one of those tricky "try to beat the storm" strategies that doesn't always work.

I-55 in southern Illinois and I-44 in Missouri are the sections where I have been most often stopped for a night by winter storms, because that's the part of the country where they are usually snow mixed with freezing rain. Probably 90% of my winter trips through Missouri were in clear weather, but three bad icy trips in 30 years of travel stick most in my memory.

I went through Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky to Ohio two times to stay ahead of an approaching storm. Once I made it OK, driving three days in moderate rain. But the other time, freezing rain caught up with me on I-75 in southern Ohio, had to wait out the night and most of the next morning for the roads to be cleared.

That's my problem with trying to run south and east of the weather, the front can move faster than predicted and catch you. Also, running in front of a storm system, you must eventually go through it, it is a matter of trying to get through with temps above freezing. The whole area in front of a winter storm system is almost always wet.

I've had better luck waiting until a winter storm passed through my starting point, then staying west and north of the storm system. Yes, the roads have been recently covered with snow and ice, but most everywhere north of Texas they'll have been cleared by the next day, and it is usually a week until the next storm, weather now all sunny, dry, with bitter cold north winds.

Just one man's experience, 30+ years, 100+ winter trips through where you want to go.

November usually isn't bad, south of I-70. Even further north, the Thanksgiving snow storm isn't that common, except as an eastern Great Lakes thing, and you aren't going that way. But still, this year, we already had a winter storm spill out of the Rockies onto the Great Plains in early October. You aren't going there either.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> best route sarnia, ontario to texas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS