|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Removing & Replacing Aluminum siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hlduncan

Western KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 Cavalier FEMA trailer & I have found some rotting on the back corners outside. I am prepared to begin replacing the wood work however I have to learn how to remove the siding on the back first. I have researched and have turned up empty handed. Could someone please tell me how to remove it & replace it once I am done?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove all the corner moldings, windows and anything else in the way. Starting at the top you should see staples holding the siding in place. Carefully remove the staples and take each piece off. They should interlock top to bottom, so removing the staples should allow you to slide the piece off of the one below it.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donn, it is the other way around.

When the siding is installed they start at the top, with the stapling edge at the bottom of the sheet. Each course is then inserted up into the preceding one, finishing at the bottom. Then the trims, windows vents etc. are installed.

So to remove the siding, the corner trims have to be removed, and any windows, vents and so on. Then you have to start at the bottom first, removing the staples that hold the last / bottom piece on. Many times the bottom piece will have a 90 degree bend in it and the last course will be stapled up under into the bottom of the floor framing. The bottom piece is then pulled downward out of the next one up, revealing the staples that hold it on.

The siding has an "S" lock, which goes at the bottom.

Before removing each piece, it is important to note exactly where it came off so it gets put back on in the right spot. The panels might not be tight up into the preceding sheet, allowing for expansion and contraction. Mark on the studs where the bottom of the siding is so you can put it back on in the right place. If you have to replace the studs, then find a place to mark it or put a fine felt marker line on the siding itself where it inserts up into the piece above.

Very important you don't compress too much or leave too much gap.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that will come in very handy is a stapler that shoots medium crown staples about 3/4" long. I bought a used Spotnails brand one on ebay when I did my siding job. I had to file down the driver thingy on it so it would not try to sink the staples flush but rather would leave them just down onto the siding.

Bob is correct on the order of things.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take off all the moldings on the corners. Remove the windows if you need to go that high. The bottom edge is usually folded under and stapled underneath. Remove those staples first, then those along the corners. That panel should then slip out of the one above it and drop down exposing some staples along the bottom of the next panel. I used a small air stapler to reinstall mine. Not a big job. Be careful when handling them so you don't crease it.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Removing & Replacing Aluminum siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS