|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Ford Focus, automatic, four down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ntar827

Bay Village, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more I research the more confused I become.

Looking to buy a 2012 or 2013 Ford Focus to tow four down.

Looked at an owners manual for a 2012 and it says that it cannot be towed 4 down.
Sales man showed me a print out for 2012 and 2013 that says it can be towed 4 down with a procedure for ignition and transmission but no cable or fuse disconnects.
Now reading in this forum , I see some saying that the negative battery cable must be disconnected. Where is this information printed?

Prefer to buy a new 2012 so would like to hear from those towing a 2012 Ford Focus with automatic transmission and all for wheels down.

Thanks

Nick

Rainman6

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The info is in the owners manual under towing. I tow a 2012 Titanium 4 down and have since May/2012 for over 7,000 miles with hundreds of connects and disconnects and absolutely no problem or issues.

DouglasC

Summerdale, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search on this site for "2012 Ford Focus" and you will find quite a number of postings over the past few months. Numerous folks are towing the Focus with automatic transmission with no problems but there have been cases of the transmissions burning up. In any case, in order to tow the Focus it's necessary to disconnect the negative battery cable at the negative terminal on the battery. And when you reconnect it you have to reset numerous "presets" in the vehicle.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Brake Buddy

charles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you looked at a 2012 owner's manual and it said you cannot tow it four down, they must have made two manuals as mine says just the opposite and to date have had no problems with it since May 2012.

Nick

2012 Pleasure-way Excel TS

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 Ford Focus Owners Manual See RECREATIONAL TOWING, pages 256 to 258.

2013 Ford Focus Owners Manual See RECREATIONAL TOWING, pages 216 to 218.

* This post was edited 10/22/12 07:34am by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2011 cannot be towed.
The 2012 can. I confirmed this with ford and owners manual and motor home magazine dinghy towing guide and my rv dealer confirmed .
You have to disconnect the battery on most automatic transmission but not manual cause trans must be in neutral

charles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I serviced my tow bar today so I hooked up my 2012 Focus automatic for a ride around town and down the interstate for half an hour or so to get the grease and oil moved around. I have before mentioned that it takes 3 minutes to move the battery forward and disconnect the negative cable from the battery using a 10mm socket. Today I found something that I missed on other trips, there is a second battery box cover to the rear of the battery that I removed to have access to the cable without moving the battery forward. It now takes less than a minute to take the cable off. I'm just leaving the socket and wrench in a leather glove down in the battery box to be handy when I need it next. Also, I never noticed this before, but the time on the clock was correct when I hooked the cable back up, the radio went from FM to AM but I did not lose my FM station settings, I should say setting as we only listen to one station, nor did I lose the "miles to empty" fuel monitor. However, I did lose the average MPG to date, the date and year, and the trip odometer miles. So, in my case, the only thing I have to do is put it back on FM and reset the date and year, I don't really bother with the mpg and trip odometers as my wife drives this car and she never looks at either of them. There are probably settings that I missed for lack of use, or options that I don't have that may need to be reset in higher optioned models, but for me it's not a big deal. The Jeep Liberty that I used to tow was more of a hassle than the focus.

Nick

charles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/13 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I returned yesterday from a 2,400 mile round trip to Florida towing my 2012 Focus SE Automatic. It is very simple to hook the Focus up with a blue ox system, the negative battery cable comes off in less than one minute and off you go. I made this trip a two night stop and had to do nothing to the Focus at each stop, each evening I checked and the transmission and tires weren't eve warm. When we arrived at either end, I put the cable back on and started it up, the only other thing you have to do is reset your radio,clock and information items if you use them. The car is so light that you really don't know that it's behind you. It's a great car for towing 4 down.

Nick

hilldude

Red house WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear, looking at a Focus to tow,will use
blue ox base plate because it looks better.Saw a couple Focus while traveling, Blue Ox looks good when unhooked.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Ford Focus, automatic, four down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS