Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Wind sensor for awning...

Posted By: KampingKris on 10/25/12 10:30am

Has anyone actually seen it work? Granted, ours is/was 6 years old (maybe seven if you count when it was manufactured)
We never once saw it bring in the awning. So, when the tree took it off the roof, we decided to patch the hole. When it's windy, we'll just have to push that button ourselves...

KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Posted By: Dklingler on 10/25/12 10:56am

My works well and I haven't had a problem with it at all.

Posted By: deereone on 10/25/12 11:59am

We owned one RV that had the wind sensor on the roof, like you never saw it work. The next RV had the sensor on the end of the awning arm. I saw the awning go up a few times, but mostly put it up manual thinking the wind was getting to strong. My RV shop said it takes a 30 second sustained wind to trigger the sensor. So I guess a quick strong gust would take the awning off before it triggered the sensor.

Posted By: Two Hands on 10/25/12 12:04pm

Ours works well most of the time. There have been several times that it rolled itself up for no apparent reason. It would repeatedly do this until I turned off the wind sensor. However, the next time I would use it with the wind sensor back on it seemed to work properly. I have frequently inspected the sensor, but there has never been any obvious reason for the unwarranted rollups.

2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
2013 Ford Edge
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

Posted By: Deputy Chief P.O. on 10/25/12 02:26pm

Hi Chris,

The wind sensor on our awning works well. Our only complaint is that sometimes it is too sensitive and brings in the awning with a slight gust.

My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

Posted By: dougrainer on 10/25/12 02:46pm

Awning wind sensors have variable ways of working and ARE dependant on which way the wind is blowing. Some sensors sense the speed of the wind and must have sustained gusts for over 30 seconds to trip.
Some sense the flex of the awning arm/fabric as it "bounces" from the wind gusts and then retract. The roof top mounted are wind gust/ speed sensors, while the arm mounted are usually motion type sensors. Doug

Posted By: WellShooter2 on 10/25/12 02:47pm

I have the audible wind sensor. When I hear the awning go "whump-whump" I roll it up.

I never leave it out when I leave the trailer.

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

Posted By: Okie on the road on 10/25/12 03:33pm

Had a wind sensor on mine also. When a heavy truck would go by my awning would go up and one time when we were near a train track it went up when the train went by. I also lost my sensor from a tree and I just patched the hole. It works fine now with the button.

Retired USMC/FAA
05 Mobile Suites
08 F450

Posted By: CJ5 jeeper on 10/25/12 04:29pm

The first time up the road to our house it decided it liked hanging out in a tree, so I let it stay there and filled the hole.

Posted By: CJ5 jeeper on 10/25/12 04:30pm

The first time up the road to our house it decided it liked hanging out in a tree, so I let it stay there and filled the hole.

Posted By: othertonka on 10/25/12 06:28pm

If you have a Dometic PowerPro awning there is a DIP switch in the control module that yoo can set for different wind speeds that will trigger the wind sensor.

Dometic PowerPro Awning
Wind DIP setting D= Down U= UP

********** 1 2 3 4 5
12 MPH D D U U D

15 MPH D U D U D

18 MPH D D D D D

21 MPH D U D D D

A DIP Switch has little levers in position 1 thru 5 and you use a pointed objsct like a straigtehed paper clip or ball point pen and slide the lever either UP or Down
according to the chart above to get the speed you want

DIP switch

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Posted By: remoandiris on 10/26/12 06:55am

Deputy Chief P.O. wrote:

The wind sensor on our awning works well. Our only complaint is that sometimes it is too sensitive and brings in the awning with a slight gust.

+1. I put mine on the least sensitive setting (high) and live with it.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Posted By: JohnBoyToo on 10/26/12 07:36am

What a nice problem to have - really !

oh dear, what do I set my wind sensor to ?

And here I thought I had a nice setup that has a remote to extend and retract and auto dumping for rain water

have to look into my model #'s features to see if I have wind sensors or if they can be added...

* This post was edited 10/26/12 07:49am by JohnBoyToo *

Posted By: Mile High on 10/26/12 08:13am

Are you sure whatever you are looking at is for the awning? Most folks responding to you have MHs that were actually equipped with the fully automatic Dometic WeatherPro awnings.

Your Alpenlite I believe was equipped with a Dometic 9100 power awning that is just an electric awning, but not automatic. There was no wind sensor.

I might be wrong, but worth a look to end a mystery.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

Posted By: dougrainer on 10/26/12 08:19am

Wind Sensors are NOT for retracting just to keep from retracting yourself. You should never leave an awning out and go to sleep or leave the RV to go somewhere. ALWAYS retract as the awning wind gust sensors cannot react quick enough if a hard wind gust hits the awning. Rv'ers that rely on their auto retract awning system usually have to replace the awning after it gets destroyed. Also, relying on a Rain water auto dump system will also cause damage. NEVER leave it open in rain unless you are positive the awning has enough slope to shed the water. Doug

Posted By: remoandiris on 10/26/12 09:09am

dougrainer wrote:

You should never leave an awning out and go to sleep or leave the RV to go somewhere. ALWAYS retract as the awning wind gust sensors cannot react quick enough if a hard wind gust hits the awning.

Guess that means if you aren't actually using the space under the awning right then and there, you should retract the awning. If you're sitting inside watching tv a big gust could come up and rip the awning before you can hit the retract button.

Now I have another thing to worry about when camping. Relaxing sure is stressful.

Print  |  Close