|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Tioga battery monitor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
krivanj

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2012 Tioga Ranger on a Ford E450 chassis. I have reason to think that the monitor system, it checks black tank, gray tank, propane, main battery and aux battery, is checking the same battery for both batteries. It is checking the house batter under the stairs, but not the chassis battery, under the hood. Anyone else think this?

Recently, I let the house battery go down, and both monitors showed low, but the chassis battery was still at 12.5 v. Do you think they mis-wired the monitor?

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never seen any monitor check any battery system but coach. Why not take off - side of battery and see what your reading is.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The terms "house battery", "auxiliary battery", and "coach battery" are used for the battery that powers your inside lights, appliance controls, furnace blower and tv antenna. The "starting battery" is also called the "chassis battery", it's the one under the hood connected to your engine starter, headlights, etc. The house battery is kept charged by the "converter" when you are connected to "shore" or "camp" or other 110vac power or when you are running the RV generator. The house and starting battery are both charged by the engine's "alternator" when the engine is running. You may have an "emergency start" switch on the dash that when pressed, puts house and starting batteries in "parallel" to start the engine when the starting battery is down/discharged from being parked a long time. Most RV's have no built-in provision to charge the starting battery when rig is parked for long periods of time as in your driveway. Your starting battery ( any battery) will self-discharge over time unless it is connected to a "trickle charger" or has something like a Trik-L-Start to keep it up.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I meant to say house battery not coach which was set up by FORD

krivanj

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea!

krivanj

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bordercollie. My question concerned the "house" as both monitors read the same battery. One says main and one says says aux but both read the same thing. I was wondering if all new Fleetood class c's were wired this way. Seems dumb.
I would have thought that one monitor would be the chassis and one would be the house. As you said, there is no monitor on the chassis. One day I might get in there and change the wiring on one of the monitors.
Also, actually, my converter (three stage) does charge both the house and chassis battery when I plug it in. Go figure.
Both my previous class A's had a monitor for both chassis and house batteries.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Tioga 26Q and it has "auxiliary" and "main" battery charge indicators too. I don't thrust them, they both show full charge at all times regardless of readings taken directly off both batteries with a voltmeter. BTW, buy a cheap digital multimeter and check voltage of house and starting batteries. The house battery should read 13.6 fully charged with no lights on, (surface charge), the starting battery should read about the same, or somewhat less if driven recently for some distance. When not driven for some time, starting battery should read around 12.5 volts. When starting battery reads around 12 volts, with no loads, battery is discharged.Should read around 14 volts with engine running. I'll check moniotor panel next time I have the starting battery disconnected to see if it shows "dead" for the "main" battery.

If your 2012 Tioga had a Bi-Directional Relay Delay (BIRD) or other device installed by Fleetwood, the converter will charge the starting battery when connected to shore power. Nice feature!! I just installed a Trik-L-Start device to accomplish the same thing.

krivanj

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!
Fleetwood has been doing a lot better since it went through its bankrupcy. I am very impressed with the "extras" in this vehicle.
I put a Trik-L-Start in my last MH. Worked well.
I use a good cigarette plug digital voltmeter to check batteries. I just found a 12v outlet next to the bedroom tv that makes it esy to check house battery. The dash cigarette plugs (3 of them) all run off the starting battery.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Tioga battery monitor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS