RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another Grand Circle Planning forum!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Grand Circle Planning forum!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
calberry

Lake Wildwood, Ca. (near Grass Valley)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/12 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we had to cancel a planned 'Red Rock' or Grand Circle trip, and are now in the process of re-planning it

I have done a LOT of research, including reviewing 19 different RV.net forums on this same general subject, and 2 from Tripadvisor. And I purchased (on recommendation of a fellow RV.net member), "Land of the Canyons, A photographer's guide to Utah and Arizona".

Our main constraints are when we can start (Apr. 30, 2012), when we need to finish (by Memorial weekend), and the fact that we are being joined in the final week or so by friends in a 40' class A (we will be in our 29' 5er).

I have planned the trip knowing that there will be MANY things we can't see, yet have tried to 'squeeze in' as many sites as possible w/out having to drive too far off the main hwys (our F350 is a gas guzzler!). And I think I have provided enough 'slack' from day to day (minimum driving too) so that while I am off on my Mtn. bike exploring slot canyons and taking pics, my wife can stay back in camp and read (her passion!)

We live in NorCal and will drive to the KOA in Ely, Nv. for our 1st night on the road. And return that same way. As of now, not counting any side trips, we will be traveling at least 2,400 miles.
Here's a map of the route (Point "A" on the map is Ely, just off the map on the left).

And here is my planning spreadsheet;

At first we were going to do Zion and then Bryce, but since the CG at Bryce doesn't open until May 10th (and GC north May 15), we figured we could do them last...and then our friends from from NM can join us in the Moab area and go along over to the GC.

And if you're wondering, we've already been to Sedona (a week in condo last Jan and loved it!), and we've already been to Mesa Verde (my brother lived in Durango for a while).

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Steve

2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/12 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get to the North Rim take a half day to do House Rock Rd if your vehicle will take gravel roads and you can deal with isolated areas:

House rock road

Then go to the Buck Farms overlook. You can stand right on the edge of the canyon with not another person in sight or probably within miles of you. The road gets a little rough going to the overlook but take it slow, it's only a mile or two long anyway.

We only saw one truck with a couple USFS people in it the whole trip. There is absolute silence and you'll get a whole new view of the canyon without mobs of people.

The entrance is east of Jacob's Lake on Hwy 89? There is a shot of the sign at the entrance in that folder above. Ask about it at the National Forest visitor center in Jacobs lake for current conditions. The road was in the most part a high speed gravel road.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/12 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bryce is open all winter, Its cold but its open

Our Road Less Traveled

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/12 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a very good plan with the right amount of days allotted for each. Hope you get on the Wave hike!! That's around the date we did it and it was HOT so carry more water than you need. Have fun.

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/12 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy&Lynne wrote:

Bryce is open all winter, Its cold but its open

Thanks, yes, I mis-stated that. I should have said they don't start taking reservations until them.

I'm assuming it's like Yosemite (where we go twice a year) where the campground is open all year, but it's '1st come 1st served' until the peak period, and then it's reservation only. It is my understanding that that date is May 10, 2013 for Bryce North Campground.

Steve

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/12 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Looks like a very good plan with the right amount of days allotted for each. Hope you get on the Wave hike!! That's around the date we did it and it was HOT so carry more water than you need. Have fun.

Thanks! My fingers will be crossed for the Wave lottery, and if I don't win it on-line, I have allowed for several days to go try to get one in person the day before.

I have 100oz camelback and a belt with 2 bottle holders (from the DW's marathon days), so I should be covered!

Steve

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/12 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

When you get to the North Rim take a half day to do House Rock Rd if your vehicle will take gravel roads and you can deal with isolated areas:

House rock road

Then go to the Buck Farms overlook. You can stand right on the edge of the canyon with not another person in sight or probably within miles of you. The road gets a little rough going to the overlook but take it slow, it's only a mile or two long anyway.

We only saw one truck with a couple USFS people in it the whole trip. There is absolute silence and you'll get a whole new view of the canyon without mobs of people.

The entrance is east of Jacob's Lake on Hwy 89? There is a shot of the sign at the entrance in that folder above. Ask about it at the National Forest visitor center in Jacobs lake for current conditions. The road was in the most part a high speed gravel road.

Great advice! It is now on my to-do list!!!

Steve

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/12 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to Ely, are you going to visit Great Basin National Park?

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

If you are going to Ely, are you going to visit Great Basin National Park?

Yikes, so sorry I did not answer this sooner No, we will be skipping Great Basin on this trip due to time constraints. I will definitely put it on agenda for our next trip back to the Grand Circle though

Steve

IA boy

Ankeny, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great trip to me. Following are a couple of things that can be overlooked but you'd find enjoyable.
Sounds like you're hikers so I'd suggest Angel's Landing @ Zion.
Antelope Canyon is about 4 miles east of Page, AZ. An easy access slot canyon run by the Navaho's.
Canyon DeChelley Nat. Monument is very interesting and scenic.
Hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls is well worth it. Its located on Hwy 12 between Boulder and Escalante. Best photos of the falls are around noon.
We will be in Devil's Garden (Arches NP) on May 9&10
Safe travels!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Grand Circle Planning forum!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS