RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another Grand Circle Planning forum!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Grand Circle Planning forum!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the time, here are some places along your route that I did not see mentioned that we enjoyed.

Scenic byways to investigate are: Scenic Backways off UT-12, Fishlake Scenic Byway, Upper Colorado Scenic Byway, Potash-Lower Colorado Scenic Byway, Kane Creek Road, Burr Trail, and UT-261 (the Moki Dugway).

Less often mentioned/lesser known areas: Goosenecks State Park, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Bluff Fort, South Fork of Mule Canyon, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Rainbow Bridge National Monument, and Sago Canyon.

Hope you have a Great Trip!!!!

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

calberry

Lake Wildwood, Ca. (near Grass Valley)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IA boy wrote:

Looks like a great trip to me. Following are a couple of things that can be overlooked but you'd find enjoyable.
Sounds like you're hikers so I'd suggest Angel's Landing @ Zion.
Antelope Canyon is about 4 miles east of Page, AZ. An easy access slot canyon run by the Navaho's.
Canyon DeChelley Nat. Monument is very interesting and scenic.
Hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls is well worth it. Its located on Hwy 12 between Boulder and Escalante. Best photos of the falls are around noon.
We will be in Devil's Garden (Arches NP) on May 9&10
Safe travels!

Thanks for the input! Sounds like we will be leaving Arches as you are going in...we'll wave

Steve

2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailertraveler wrote:

If you have the time, here are some places along your route that I did not see mentioned that we enjoyed.

Scenic byways to investigate are: Scenic Backways off UT-12, Fishlake Scenic Byway, Upper Colorado Scenic Byway, Potash-Lower Colorado Scenic Byway, Kane Creek Road, Burr Trail, and UT-261 (the Moki Dugway).

Less often mentioned/lesser known areas: Goosenecks State Park, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Bluff Fort, South Fork of Mule Canyon, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Rainbow Bridge National Monument, and Sago Canyon.

Hope you have a Great Trip!!!!

Oh wow, just what I need...MORE INPUT

Thanks, I will investigate them all and see if we have time. One thing we know is that we will not be able to see all there is to see, and the hard part will be decided which to see and which to save for the next trip.

Oh, yesterday was the day for us to make reservations at Dead Horse and Coral Pink Sand Dunes, so after making them at Dead Horse I then decided against CPSD and went with Jacobs Lake Recreation Area instead. I did that because it is closer to Vermillion Cliffs and may be easier for trying for the 'next day' Wave lottery if I don't make it in on my 3 dates I've submitted for the raffle (Feb. 1st drawing.)

Steve

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's better to concentrate on a few areas rather than trying to spread your time out too much, in my opinion.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

It's better to concentrate on a few areas rather than trying to spread your time out too much, in my opinion.

I totally agree

Hey, have you guys seen the wikimapia? Pretty cool. Here's an example;
Click here to view map

Steve

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very well done! And many good comments. We will be our 16th year part time RVing in the 11 western states and 2 western provinces and, due to proximity to us, we spent a lot of time in Utah.

I do feel, as mentioned, that this is a lot of territory in the time allotted. It will be a great tour but not time to truly absorb all that is there.

My only other comment would be - as I have stated before on this Forum - is that only visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and skipping the South Rim truly does not give one the full experience. From the NR you see about 10% of the Grand Canyon. To fully SEE the Grand Canyon you have to go to the South Rim and spend a few days so you can be there are sunrise and sunset for the colors and shadows. We have been to the NR twice (went back to see if we could find more to see) and the SR 5 times.

Am sure you have checked out all the roads and places to stay and are comfortable with that.

For Grand Canyon SR images see www.LaurensPix.com "Grand Canyon" and www.LaurenBarbara.com "Wanderings" then "Arizona".

Enjoy.

Lauren

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

Very well done! And many good comments. We will be our 16th year part time RVing in the 11 western states and 2 western provinces and, due to proximity to us, we spent a lot of time in Utah.

I do feel, as mentioned, that this is a lot of territory in the time allotted. It will be a great tour but not time to truly absorb all that is there.

My only other comment would be - as I have stated before on this Forum - is that only visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and skipping the South Rim truly does not give one the full experience. From the NR you see about 10% of the Grand Canyon. To fully SEE the Grand Canyon you have to go to the South Rim and spend a few days so you can be there are sunrise and sunset for the colors and shadows. We have been to the NR twice (went back to see if we could find more to see) and the SR 5 times.

Am sure you have checked out all the roads and places to stay and are comfortable with that.

For Grand Canyon SR images see www.LaurensPix.com "Grand Canyon" and www.LaurenBarbara.com "Wanderings" then "Arizona".

Enjoy.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren, I will check out your pics later. Like you, I am also a 'self taught' amateur photographer (OK, maybe I'm a professional because I have sold a couple of pics through our local Art Club ) It seems to satisfy my type A personality

Two summers ago we stayed 3 nights in the Trailer Village at South Rim and we spent all our time exploring, riding shuttles, dinner at El Tover, and taking MANY pics of both sunrise and sunset. The day we drove out to Watchman it was raining, going out some of the turnouts were totally fogged in...one would not have known there was a canyon there! But it cleared enough as the day went on that I still got some great shots! (below is an example) We are going to North Rim this time mainly because we haven't been there before

Thanks again for the input!

Steve

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve - I am also semi pro; hey, people want to buy prints or hire me to do things I love it. Also getting magazine and newspaper and website use of my work and won some awards. But it if for me mainly; I also am high A.

So you have been to the South Rim - that is good.

God bless .......... be safe.

JimK-NY

fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck on your trip and especially The Wave lottery. I would not hang around Kanab for numerous days hoping to win the lottery. Unfortunately the odds are not great. I tried (and won) last year in March. There were at least 100 people trying for the next day lottery. Actually there may have been a lot more since many of the lottery participants were trying for passes for numerous people in a group.

If you want to significantly improve your odds, do the Friday lottery. There will be 3 drawings: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. You do need to pick a specific day. (Hint: pick the day with the worst weather forecast and if the forecasts are similar, pick Monday.)

BTW, if you are interested I just did a blurb book which covers my photographs from last year. Most were from the Grand Circle area. Just check the blurb.com bookstore for "Special Places." Again, best of luck.

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Good luck on your trip and especially The Wave lottery. I would not hang around Kanab for numerous days hoping to win the lottery. Unfortunately the odds are not great. I tried (and won) last year in March. There were at least 100 people trying for the next day lottery. Actually there may have been a lot more since many of the lottery participants were trying for passes for numerous people in a group.

If you want to significantly improve your odds, do the Friday lottery. There will be 3 drawings: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. You do need to pick a specific day. (Hint: pick the day with the worst weather forecast and if the forecasts are similar, pick Monday.)

BTW, if you are interested I just did a blurb book which covers my photographs from last year. Most were from the Grand Circle area. Just check the blurb.com bookstore for "Special Places." Again, best of luck.

Good advice! I'm hoping that being a single will help my odds little (no way would my wife want to hike back in there . ) I have a Mon., Tues. and Wed. on my application now, but I could head up there the Fri. before that Mon. if I don't get in during the Feb. 1st drawing.

Love your book! That pic from Zabriskie Point is particularly breathtaking...and then I kept thinking the same thing every time I turned the next page

Here is a book of some of my pics that I compiled for our Art Club: Link to Steve's Book

Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Grand Circle Planning forum!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS