|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What Is This Power Source for in My 96 Prowler 23LV TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 12:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SEE BELOW FOR NEW PICS

I just bought a 1996 Fleetwood Prowler "L" Series 23LV TT and when I opened up the heating vent to take a look at a couple things and noticed a large silver unit with the heatsink look all around it like a big Power Inverter tucked far under the bed down from the heating unit behind the main fuse box located under the bed (but where I can access it .. but I can't access the area behind it where this thing is at).

I don't have a battery yet hooked up to this trailer (didn't come with any and I am waiting till next year to buy a new one) and have just been running full power on the 30 amp plug via a 110 cord from the garage.

If this is a Power Inverter does it invert 12V power form the batteries and let me run small things on the 110 plugs in the trailer?

If I had a battery I would know but without one I am not sure.

And if for some reason this is not a power inverter ... What Is It???

Thanks so much for the info guys.

* This post was edited 01/25/13 09:19pm by falconman515 *

1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sitting by the fuse box I would assume it's the battery charger. they sometimes are mounted separate from the converter and fuse panel.

Maybe pull the panel off your fuse box and look for some large wires feeding some 40 amp fuses. They will probably be connected to the circuit board that the fuses are connected to and may be labeled as 12V + and 12V-. See if you can trace those wires back to this device you found.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I got in there and got a chance to take a pic of what is was I saw.

What exactly is this and what does it do in my TT?

* This post was edited 01/25/13 09:24pm by falconman515 *

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 12:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is see if you can find a make and model on the converter. We can then look it up and see if it has an integrated or separate charger. That might be easier than trying to trace wires.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, sorry I'm typing and posting faster than I'm thinking. You could also disconnect the shore power plug from the trailer. Then borrow the battery from your car or truck and connect it to the trailer wires. This will feed 12 volts into the system and you can see if your 110V plugs come to life.

BUT, do make sure to understand the wire colors on the trailer. Most often the ground wire on your trailer will be white which is the opposite of most cars. Make sure you trace the battery wire with your hand down and verify it is connected to the frame before hooking up any wires.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 01:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Ok, sorry I'm typing and posting faster than I'm thinking. You could also disconnect the shore power plug from the trailer. Then borrow the battery from your car or truck and connect it to the trailer wires. This will feed 12 volts into the system and you can see if your 110V plugs come to life.

BUT, do make sure to understand the wire colors on the trailer. Most often the ground wire on your trailer will be white which is the opposite of most cars. Make sure you trace the battery wire with your hand down and verify it is connected to the frame before hooking up any wires.

This is a good idea, I would also say to put in a 12 volt battery from something - anything actually, like a lawn mower or old car battery or something, to keep the converter from spiking voltage higher than 14 volts.

WHile the RV is plugged in, you can measure the two power cables, one should be grounded, the other should be 12 volts when measured from the frame to the battery terminal. However if that same wire had touched the frame, then it might read 0 volts to the frame on both wires, due to the +12 volt wire touching the frame, and blows a 12 volt fuse, now you have to find that and change that fuse before the battery will work.

Once you have determined what wire is +12 volts, I would wrap it in a rag, then put it inside a plastic shopping type bag, or zip lock baggy, so that it can not short to the chassis anymore (tripping a fuse that you might not be able to find quickly). The rag will keep the sharp battery terminal from tearing the bag, the bag will not conduct electricity (at 12 volts).

From the factory, the Fleetwoods came with a 45 amp "Converter" / charger, and that is probably what you are looking at. Normally they are easy to identify with the unit plugging into a 120 volt receptacle near it, and has only 2 other wires leaving it.

Also sometimes a GFI inside the trailer might trip, and this can cause 120 volts to not be at the converter/charger and your battery will not charge. My Fleetwood motorhome has 3 GFI's in the living room, that feed the TV, bathroom, outside storage compartments, and other places. So if one of them is not working, I always first check the GFI to see if it might have tripped.

Good luck with your trailer, enjoy the camping.

I guess you have already checked the end seams on the roof? To make sure it is not cracked or leaking in water. Check all the cabinets after a good rain, and see if it might be wet, feel the ceiling, to check for wetness. Better to find it as soon as possible, before there is a "Smell".

Fred.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely a battery charger and not a power inverter.

falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but how does a battery charger come into play in a TT?

I know what a battery charger is ... I use a Shumacker charger for my outside trailer batteries ... but what does this do inside the trailer?

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconman515 wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but how does a battery charger come into play in a TT?

I know what a battery charger is ... I use a Shumacker charger for my outside trailer batteries ... but what does this do inside the trailer?
It charges the onboard battery and supplies power for the 12 volt circuits in your TT. Those 12 volt circuits power your lights, the refrigerator, the furnace, and possibly, the ignition board for your water heater.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 01:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

It charges the onboard battery and supplies power for the 12 volt circuits in your TT. Those 12 volt circuits power your lights, the refrigerator, the furnace, and possibly, the ignition board for your water heater.

Once again please forgive my lack of knowledge on this ... in my old TT I had the battery in the front outside of the trailer that ran straight to a fuse block and then powered everything in the trailer from there.

So what is this charging supply needed for? The two batteries I have in the front of my new trailer power all the 12 volt circuits in the TT correct? This thing obviously doesn't "charge" my huge 12 volt deep cycle batteries so what's it's purpose?

Is it kind of an in-between to take all the 12 volt power from the deep cycle batteries outside and in a certain way send the correct voltage to each area of the fuse block and circuit breakers?

Not what you mean when you say "It Charges The On-Board Battery" ... I don't have any kind of battery on-board ... the only batteries I have are the deep cycle 12 volt batteries just outside the trailer ... so there is nothing to really "Charge" is there?

I must be missing something here I think.

Can I get a little more in depth overview on how this all works and what this does and why it's needed?

Thanks so much for all this info and once again forgive my lack of knowledge on this.

Chris

* This post was edited 01/26/13 02:37am by falconman515 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What Is This Power Source for in My 96 Prowler 23LV TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: