|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What Is This Power Source for in My 96 Prowler 23LV TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 02:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 40 amp Power Source converter may be the only one in your rig. I have not been able to find a manual for your TT to verify that. If it is the only one present, it's purpose is to charge your batteries (onboard would mean the batteries that are located on your TT, either inside or outside)and to provide 12 volts to any 12 volt devices that are in your TT. The batteries and the converter are both connected to the fuse panel. When you do not have 120v available to power the converter, the batteries supply power for the 12v devices. When 120v is available,the converter supplies 12v to those devices.
If you did not have the Power Source converter, your batteries would eventually release their stored power and would need to be recharged by an external battery charger or, if your TT has the proper hook up wire, by the towing vehicles alternator through the 7 pin plug. The converter is a faster charger.

I forgot to mention it in my first post but you may have certain "parasitic" 12v loads on the batteries. Those would be the alarms, entertainment devices, or circuit boards for the refrigerator and furnace that use a standby mode. In other words, even if you are not using any active 12v devices like lights or fans, there may be a constant drain on the batteries.

Here is a pretty good visual description of how your TT electrical system works:12 volt side of life

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi falconman515.

As per Google Search, the PowerSource 40 is a very basic 110/120V to 12V Converter. As it converts power, it also charges your onboard attached battery (if one is installed). Since 1996, there's much better Converters on the market. re: The PD 145A with Charge wizard - - click here - For now, I'm sure the basic PowerSource 40A product will work (for your needs).

Since a picture is 1,000 words, your Converter converts 110/120V to 12V power as shown in below diagram (see top middle of page).

Hope this helps....

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconman515 wrote:

This thing obviously doesn't "charge" my huge 12 volt deep cycle batteries...

Yes it does.

How do you think your huge 12 volt deep cycle batteries get charged when you are plugged in to shore power? Every RV with a battery has to have some way to convert 110v AC power to 12v DC power for battery charging and to power the 12v systems when not running on the battery alone.

If you don't believe what we're telling you, then accept the fact it will always be a 'mystery box' and don't worry about it.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sent in error - please disregard

* This post was edited 01/26/13 07:46am by RoyB *

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sent in error - disregard...

* This post was edited 01/26/13 07:43am by RoyB *

greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconman515 wrote:

westend wrote:

It charges the onboard battery and supplies power for the 12 volt circuits in your TT. Those 12 volt circuits power your lights, the refrigerator, the furnace, and possibly, the ignition board for your water heater.

Once again please forgive my lack of knowledge on this ... in my old TT I had the battery in the front outside of the trailer that ran straight to a fuse block and then powered everything in the trailer from there.

So what is this charging supply needed for? The two batteries I have in the front of my new trailer power all the 12 volt circuits in the TT correct? This thing obviously doesn't "charge" my huge 12 volt deep cycle batteries so what's it's purpose?

Is it kind of an in-between to take all the 12 volt power from the deep cycle batteries outside and in a certain way send the correct voltage to each area of the fuse block and circuit breakers?

Not what you mean when you say "It Charges The On-Board Battery" ... I don't have any kind of battery on-board ... the only batteries I have are the deep cycle 12 volt batteries just outside the trailer ... so there is nothing to really "Charge" is there?

I must be missing something here I think.

Can I get a little more in depth overview on how this all works and what this does and why it's needed?

Thanks so much for all this info and once again forgive my lack of knowledge on this.

Chris

Yes it does charge your deep cycle batteries as well as supplying 12V power to the inside of your TT when plugged into AC via the trailer power cord. As a test, you can disconnect your batteries, plug the trailer into AC and measure voltage at your battery connecyion leads. You should get about 134.6 Volts. This means the battery charging circuit is working.

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconman515 wrote:

Another question .... What will happen when I have my trailer plugged in to 110 and also be charging my batteries overnight (before the trip) with my portable Shumacker battery charger? In theory they will be getting a charge from the on-board 40 amp charger pictured here plus the portable Shumacker!

I don't like the fact the on-board charger may boil the battery and not shut off when fully charged. I think I would like to just use the portable Shumacker to be safe so how do I tell the on-board charger not to charge my batteries but just power my 12V stuff?

You seem to have a "thing" about your Shumacker.

No way would I use a second battery charger when plugged into shore power - it isn't needed and might damage your batteries by overcharging them.

The onboard charger is designed to charge the batteries and cut back to a trickle when fully charged. Let it do the job it was designed to do and leave your Shumacker charger on the shelf in your garage.

epusher

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 03:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you are plugged in to AC utility power your on-board battery charger provides 12 volt DC power to your DC appliances/lights and a charge to your 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

When you are NOT plugged in to AC utility power your 12-volt deep cycle batteries supply 12 volt DC to your DC appliances/lights.

So your 40-amp charger/converter is only used when you are plugged into AC utility power (power provided by an electric utility company or a portable generator). The problem with older charger/converters is they can boil the batteries. The converter/charger does NOT have an automatic shut off. It should go to a trickle/float charge, but on an older charger this could be set higher than desired. Just monitor your battery electrolyte levels.

There are some good links/postings in the forums on 12 volt DC power and AC power for RVs. Do some searching and reading and you'll probably get most of your questions answered. Plus you develop some new ones. But your confidence level will be higher.

2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another question .... What will happen when I have my trailer plugged in to 110 and also be charging my batteries overnight (before the trip) with my portable Shumacker battery charger? In theory they will be getting a charge from the on-board 40 amp charger pictured here plus the portable Shumacker!

I don't like the fact the on-board charger may boil the battery and not shut off when fully charged. I think I would like to just use the portable Shumacker to be safe so how do I tell the on-board charger not to charge my batteries but just power my 12V stuff?

Thanks so much again for the info ... it's all starting to come together now.

1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab

falconman515

Fresno, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 02:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK ... after finally reading all of this and talking with my brother in law I think I got it figured out. Basically it is a battery charger for my 2 Deep Cycle batteries.

I normally use a Shumacker portable battery charger when these are needing to be charged. So when I am plugged into a 100 outlet (when I'm at home or somewhere with hook ups) it is always charging my 2 batteries if needed ... I assume it has an automatic shut off when batteries are full.

Also does this do something when no 110 power source is connected? does it regulate the output source coming from the 12v batteries going to all equipment and accessories ... cause it seems like wires come from that unit and go directly to the fuse panel ... or is the thing 'Only' used when a 110 power source is connected?

This is kinda all starting to come together ... am I a bit close here?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What Is This Power Source for in My 96 Prowler 23LV TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS