|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winter and New to US RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
taigarazz

delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A. New to RVing, we got it this weekend and are taking it on our first trip. We intend to use it about 1 - 2 weekends a month thru the winter. We live in southern Delaware where it does freeze during the winter, but certainly not like New England.

When we get back after this week, should I completely winterize it before we use it again Thanksgiving? Or should I just plug it in and run the furnace? If I run the furnace should the fresh water tank be empty or partly filled?

What about when it gets colder in January and February? We still want to take it out for weekends...

All help appreciated

Linda

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taigarazz wrote:

We just purchased a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A. New to RVing, we got it this weekend and are taking it on our first trip. We intend to use it about 1 - 2 weekends a month thru the winter. We live in southern Delaware where it does freeze during the winter, but certainly not like New England.

When we get back after this week, should I completely winterize it before we use it again Thanksgiving? Or should I just plug it in and run the furnace? If I run the furnace should the fresh water tank be empty or partly filled?

What about when it gets colder in January and February? We still want to take it out for weekends...

All help appreciated

Linda

You'll be out of LP in no time flat if you use the furnace. I use electric heat. There is plenty of info on this site if you use the search function

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Nvr*lost

SW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up until Thanksgiving, I would run an electric heater and dump the water. Also open your cabinets, especially the one that the water pump is behind. One of your problems later will be not able to use the dump valves after we get to freezing temperatures, unless you have heated tanks and valves. I don't think your weather is temperate enough to use water in the winter.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people just blow out the lines and add some pink stuff to the P traps. Personally, I don't think I could get all the water out so I use the antifreeze.
If you don't get too cold that could be an option. It would be much easier to de-winterize.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does depend if your RV came with an “artic package”, which means either tanks that are heated or insulated so that when you use your furnace it heats them. If they are heated with heat strips there will be a button that you can turn on and off, just make sure you have some water in the tanks if you turn them on. Many times you can look under your RV and see if it is insulated.

On the other hand, after you winterize your rig and learn how to do it, it only takes 20-30 minutes to winterize. We have used our rig in our Minnesota winters, winterized it and used it again a few weeks later. I know we get a bit, well quite a bit colder than you do, so it’s just as easy for us to winterize.

Some people will leave electric heather on to keep it warm when they store for a short period of time, but that has always worried my and I’m not sure the heat is getting down to the tanks.

Congratulations on your new RV, they are great fun.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 98

taigarazz

delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I am just discovering all the bells and whistles but the fresh warter tank under the bed shows no sign of insulation so I guess no artic package. Maybe I'll just get really good at wintrrizing anx buh the pink stuff by thd case

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fresh tank under the bed is good. That keeps the water inside, where you want it. It's what is underneath the rig that is more important... are your valves in a compartment that has a hole in it. Does warm air come out that hole when you run the furnace?

Yes, you can run the furnace for a long time on your tank of propane, and it's relatively cheap. But you don't need to keep the temperature set at 70, only about 45-50.

It's a good thing to watch for your outside shower and maybe put a remote temperature sensor in there to see how cold it gets, and other vulnerable places too...

Lots to learn about winter camping... you really have to be aware of exactly what is going on with the rig and know your limits.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

taigarazz

delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The drain valve for the fresh water tank is under the bed with the tank. No access to that compartment from the outside, just from the inside. Not if the black and gray compartments are heated, I'll have to crawl under and look. The black and gray valves are in a compartment along with the outdoor shower. Pretty sure that is not heated.
Is there any way to heat that compartment so that the valves don't freeze? I read about folks putting heat tape on their water lines to prevent freezing, but am unclear how to get power to them.
Previous owner was from the South, so looks like nothing has been added to accomadate the frozen North.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about where you are going to camp? Most campgrounds, based on a quick glance at the Good Sam Campground Directory, in Delaware are closed during the winter months.

taigarazz

delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We plan on visiting Washington DC, friends in the Phila area (staying in their driveway),and New York City.
I looked up the Aspects specifications on line and it says that the water holding tank is a heated compartment. The drainage says "heated - requires second coach battery" and then the column just has a line in it. Doesn't say standard or optional. My RV does have a second coach battery. Does this mean the drain tank compartments are heated?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winter and New to US RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS