RV.Net Open Roads Forum: cheaper to buy a pick up truck and a towable trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> cheaper to buy a pick up truck and a towable trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
thealfa

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it cheaper to buy a pick up truck and a towable trailer than buying an RV or Motorhome (Winnebago, Excursion, Roadtrek, etc).

The Roadtrek motorhome is very expensive. It cost anywhere from $70,000 to close to $200,000. Wouldn't buying a pick up truck for $20,000 (Ford F-150) and a towable trailer home for the same price be cheaper?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor homes are RV'a too. In fact all camping vehicles, whether towable of self propelled are recreational vehicles.
But to answer your question, yes it is much cheaper. The cheapest way to RV is to buy a used tent trailer and tow it with a decent used SUV or pickup. You could get into the market for about 7 to 10 thousand dollars. At the top end of the spectrum is of course million dollar motor homes.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Quick trip

Cerritos, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was pricing the Fords yesterday and for $20,000 you might get a small 6 cylinder stripped! As for it towing, not much more than a pop up!
Look at the eco boost and now your talking TRUCK!!
Then get that TT to tow behind.......
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably but not absolutely.

However, it all depends on what you really want out of an RV. Pickup and trailer are pretty much the starting out vehicles in the RV world, and then it goes up from there. What are you looking for? Camping in the state or BLM areas or traveling across country, or staying more in private rv parks, full timing??? See what I mean.

Be aware that there are many different types of rv's and within each category there are many different sizes and price range.

You need to give us a better idea of what it is that you're looking for.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel Trailers are probably the least expensive way to getting into the RV lifestyle. You don't need an extra vehicle to tow one as many use their daily driver as their tow car/truck. I spend a great deal of time at state parks and TT's are the most prevalent and are being towed by all kinds of vehicles.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

Mickeyfan0805

SE Mass

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are SO many variables that it is hard to give a simple answer. As others have said, you certainly COULD start camping with a pickup and a TT for far less than buying a MH. That said, however, you can readily spend 80-100k on a pick-up/TT depending on what you want. If you give us a better sense of what you are considering, we can probably offer better input.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't limit the choice to any one type of rv. Keep in mind what you want to do then look around. A new MH may be 70K but there are a lot of used ones that are cheaper. If you have a PU of course a TT would be cheaper. Just take a lot of time and look around. Also keep mind the asking price may be a lot more then they expect to get.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't even have to buy, especially if you don't know if you are going to like it. My local friendly RV dealer rents both popups and and small travel trailers. I had camped and owned travel trailers in my younger and stupider life, but my GF and her daughter never been. So, instead of buying one, I rented. We were going to rent a Class C, but I came across a Liberty Diesel, and we rented a trailer. They loved it. Now, I am in the market.

Be advised, when you rent, you may not have the optimal setup. For me, for instance, we never fine tuned the Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) and I was still running the cheap Goodyear factory tires that tow horribly (squirmy feel).

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, Tuned By Green Diesel
2011 Rockwood Roo 21BH
Reese DC WDH, CIPA Door Mirrors
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2014 - 18 Camped, Winterized
Nights Reserved for 2015 - 0, but soon!

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is "yes". With a MH you also have to maintain a drivetrain,initial cost is more, depreciation is a lot, etc. Of course a new pick-up is also very costly. RVing is just expensive but a used truck pulling a use pull-behind trailer is generally the most economical.

Jayco-noslide

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to add up what I paid for my 1997 F150 when I bought it used in 2001 and my 2003 Prowler Lynx TT that I bought new in July of 2002, it totals $31,000. ($17k for the truck and $14k for the trailer).

I've still got both and not looking for anything new yet!

I have browsed around and see what new trucks and new TT's cost, as well as what even slightly used MH's cost..

We would like to eventually get into a MH, but the ones we like are in the $80k range...

A new F150 with only the XLT trim and a 5.0 V8 in it runs around $30k.. Most of the new TT out there are in the $18k range.

Don't get into "RVing" if you can't "pay to play"!

I did see an older late 1980's Pace Arrow MH for sale.. Probably 34' and looked okay from the outside.. They wanted $5,000 for it...

My F150 is probably only worth $3000 now (240,000 miles on it) and my trailer is probably only worth #5000 if I'm lucky... It's in great shape, but modded to my own specs..

No plans to sell either, but you can go cheap if that's what you are looking for.. Or go all out and spend the $$$ for some new stuff!

Either way, it's "RVing" and that's what I like!

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> cheaper to buy a pick up truck and a towable trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS