|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winter Conditions and my 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm about to purchase a 07 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 5th Wheel and I asked the guy I'm buying it from if it's insulated for winter camping. He informed me that this particular model is setup for winter and the pipes are insulated. I currently live in So Cal and a lot of the RV's out here are not setup for winter conditions since we don't really have much of a winter. But I know talking with a few RV dealers, some RV models are setup with insulation for winter conditions and some are not. Is there any way I can really tell if the guy I'm buying it from is telling me the truth? I just don't want any surprises when I get on the road with this. From what I've read on several forum postings, there's a lot I need to be aware of while camping in winter conditions. Looking on the manufacturer's website, I'm not seeing this information (http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Mountaineer&year=2007) Any suggestions?

2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask him for the vin # and then call Keystone. They should be able to run the Vin # and tell you exactly what is in the unit. I hope you are personally going to check this unit before you purchase it.

Western New Yorkers
One lazy Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask for an actual oem temperature rating. Insulation is nice but you need to ask about tank and pipe heaters as some kind of arctic package. Furnace heated compartments may hold up to 20F possibly 10F but that is iffy unless specifically rated. Since it is used you will need to do an actual survey yourself to discover what is exposed to the cold.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Brewurown

Morganton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you could call Keystone customer service with the model and serial nr and they could tell you what options the unit has.

Al
2007.5 2500 Dodge 6.7
2010 Montana Mountaineer 335 RET
Bessie the Bassett (in doggie heaven 4/10/13)
Little Bit the Terrier (in doggie heaven 5/14/12)
Hickory Foothills Good Sam Chapter member

Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twins89 wrote:

Ask him for the vin # and then call Keystone. They should be able to run the Vin # and tell you exactly what is in the unit. I hope you are personally going to check this unit before you purchase it.

Good idea. I have the VIN and will call them now. I've done a walk through twice on the RV and everything looks pretty solid. I'll confirm the major components work before purchasing it.

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they do not insulate the pipes.They run them next to the heat duct and burry them so the air does not get to them.look under at the low water drains and see if they have covers on them

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you GOT from him was an opinion. What you NEED from him is real numbers. What is the insulation R value of walls, floor and ceiling? What type of four season equipment does it have installed (tank heaters (not the furnace) plumbing heaters, mattress heaters, storm windows etc.) Anyone can SAY that an RV is a four season model and you can USE most any RV in all four seasons but that doesn't mean they are designed for that type of use. Get the real details before you make up your mind. Insulation is the Most IMPORTANT ITEM as most of that other stuff can be ADDED to any RV but if it's not four season insulated it's awfully tough to add insulation effectively.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

eubank

Angel Fire, NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four-season rigs are usually pretty easy to distinguish from warm-weather rigs. On those intended for warmer weather, usually you can physically see the bottoms of the waste tanks, the pipes leading from them, and the valves. If especially those valves and pipes are exposed, then they'll freeze rather quickly. By contrast, those intended for wintertime use will have tanks, pipes and valves that are fully enclosed (and insulated and heated), not at all visible from the outside of the rig.

Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

NHIrish

White Mountains NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think Keystone makes a 4 season unit.

2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS
2011 Chevrolet 3500 DMAX ECLB
B&W Companion

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock

Me Again

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not think the lower end Mountaineer models are that good for four season RVing! Sorta like the cabin I had years ago where a paper would blow off the table with all the windows and doors closed!

Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX. Older posts can be seen by searching "Chris"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winter Conditions and my 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts