RV.Net Open Roads Forum: So, you bought a toy hauler...what would you do differently?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> So, you bought a toy hauler...what would you do differently?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
miboje

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been researching campers for well over a year. We've finally decided that we want a toy hauler, not because we are rough housing dirt biker types (we're about the opposite), but because I absolutely love the idea of having additional sleeping and dining area in the garage without giving up an inch of valuable real estate for bunks. The new patios they've added to toy haulers as of late are awesome! Who won't appreciate more space to spread out? I really love the idea of an attached screened in patio as with the Glendale Titanium Tour Edition. Did any other manufacturer's do that? Anyhow....

Unfortunately, we've never owned a camper before. We know enough to be dangerous. The idea of spending a large sum of money on something we have no experience with does not sit well with me. After all, we're going to be stuck with it, happy or not.

Here's what we do know: It only makes sense to us to buy a toy hauler that is well insulated, preferably with double pane windows. And I really don't like the idea of lugging around something 40-ish feet long, nor do I feel it's necessary if we have electric beds in the garage and/or a loft bed between the living space and garage. More weight just equals the consumption of lots more fuel, and we may have trouble getting into boon-docking areas in the mountains with a really long unit. I absolutely loathe the small, single-wall kitchen with the stove/oven right against the refrigerator(seems quite foolish to me), plus that leaves little counter top space for food preps. OK, enough rambling....

So, my question to all you toy hauler owners is this: If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?

Thank you for your input! :>)

* This post was edited 11/09/12 11:01am by miboje *

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next trailer will not be a toy hauler. But that's because we're now empty nesters and would appreciate a more comfortable, better layout that a "regular" fifth wheel with slide outs offer. I can still put my dual sport on a rack on the back. The furniture of the toy haulers is not nearly as comfortable, at least the non-garage units like mine that have the furniture folding up against the wall. Then if you get a garage model you give up so much room for a dedicated garage.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

miboje

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

if you get a garage model you give up so much room for a dedicated garage.

Hmmmm.....I think it depends on which toy hauler you are talking about. The ones I am talking about have single or dual electric beds that raise up when not needed, and an additional dining area underneath complete with a table and bench seat(s)that converts into a bed. We have two children, and I really hate the idea of permanently giving up valuable floor space to bunks. I'm looking forward to the day when it's just us.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't want a cramped kitchen, and you are thinking about a small toyhauler, you might want to rethink it. A 30' toyhauler with an 8' garage will give you the living space of a 22' fifth wheel as far as kitchen and living area are concerned.

A toyhauler with a non-separate garage will open up the living area a tad. If I weren't hauling motorcycles I'd have a standard 5th wheel in an instant.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cwill925

Murfreesboro TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2008 Keystone Fuzion 362. We've been very satisfied with this trailer. The only thing I would change if buying a new one is to have full body paint. The graphics used on some models just don't last long if the RV is stored outside.

The garage does serve as our multipurpose room, garage for the Smart Car or motorcycles while on the road, bedroom at night with the beds down, work area, hobby area when the beds are up, screened porch with the rear gate down, the list could go on. For us the toyhauler is the perfect fit, but everyone is different. You need to list your needs, wants and potential uses for the trailer, shop around, network (as you’re doing here) and study the many options available.

2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2 Harley's, 1 Suzuki Scooter, 1 Smart Car

Mr. Sandman

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

me boje wrote:

We've finally decided that we want a toy hauler, not because we are rough housing dirt biker types (we're about the opposite)

So no loud music, loose women, beards, tattoos and piercings like the rest of us huh?

Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford F350 PSD 4x4
Hauler - Sold/None
Toys - 2009 Polaris RZR LE, 1985 ATC 250R,
2009 Raptor 700, 2003 Raptor 80,

cwill925

Murfreesboro TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Sandman wrote:

me boje wrote:

We've finally decided that we want a toy hauler, not because we are rough housing dirt biker types (we're about the opposite)

So no loud music, loose women, beards, tattoos and piercings like the rest of us huh?

The OP is from PA not CA...

miboje

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwill925 wrote:

I have a 2008 Keystone Fuzion 362. We've been very satisfied with this trailer. The only thing I would change if buying a new one is to have full body paint. The graphics used on some models just don't last long if the RV is stored outside.

The garage does serve as our multipurpose room, garage for the Smart Car or motorcycles while on the road, bedroom at night with the beds down, work area, hobby area when the beds are up, screened porch with the rear gate down, the list could go on. For us the toyhauler is the perfect fit, but everyone is different. You need to list your needs, wants and potential uses for the trailer, shop around, network (as you’re doing here) and study the many options available.

Thanks for the tip on paint in your first paragraph.:>)
Yes, I've noticed peeling decals on 2009 models!

Quote - "The garage does serve as our multipurpose room, garage for the Smart Car or motorcycles while on the road, bedroom at night with the beds down, work area, hobby area when the beds are up, screened porch with the rear gate down, the list could go on." Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say!

I know more about toy haulers than most 44-year-old women due to all this research! But I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for. A travel trailer toy hauler would be lighter than a 5th, but they either put the master bed up against the wall making the person in the back crawl over the person in front to get out, don't have any slides whatsoever (we feel that's a bit cramped), or don't offer any well-insulated units or at least offer a winter package on those. I'll keep looking...

Thanks for your replies. Please keep them coming!

miboje

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwill925 wrote:

Mr. Sandman wrote:

me boje wrote:

The OP is from PA not CA...

LOL! Right! OK, we're not the typical toy hauler buyer, or at least we're not really buying one to haul our toys, nor do we really need that expensive stereo system with those honking large speakers all over the RV. ;>)

cwill925

Murfreesboro TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keystone Fuzion 301,, perhaps?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> So, you bought a toy hauler...what would you do differently?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS