RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flat towing question for full sized truck - Which one?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flat towing question for full sized truck - Which one?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hate to be a wet blanket, but if your going to the truck for length reasons a long bed crew cab is about 25 ft long so you will not gain much there...one of those double decker trailers might be a better route..

thordahl

McHenry, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason to change is that I am not able to use the tandem tow to haul the ATV's from the camp site to the ride sites. The length of a toad vs a tandem tow with a car on the back is much less of a issue. With my current system it gets tight in sharp turns since the trailer wheels are so far back not to mention the rear wheels of the Saab.

At 65 feet at least I will be legal in more states. Not to mention the issues we have with finding camping that will take this current length. With a toad worst case is to unhook and follow in. Cant do that with a tandem tow that has a tongue weight of over 1100 LB when the car is removed & quads still on. The weight of the car when installed offsets the tandem tow to a TW of 420 lb. Only real way to move the tandem tow is to remove everything.

The reason why I am thinking a flatbed pick up vs like below is there will be less height for loading also I feel with a setup like below it would be more top heavy when driving.

2 unit on back of pick up

I am thinking about something like this.

* This post was edited 11/15/12 07:11am by thordahl *

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My manual for the 2011 dodge says towing 4 wheels down is no problem. No distance or speed limitations.

05 Tiffin Zephyr
07 Dodge Caliber toad
Artic Fox 1150 slide
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn

pnordan

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a Dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab, 5.7 hemi. Unless you have to have the 3/4 ton, the 1/2 tons should be much lighter. Don't trust the published curb wt. The 1500 4x4 had published wt of around 5300#, actual when I got it home was close to 6100#
It is easy to set up and tow.

Paul & Kristina
Lucy & Curly
2004 American Coach Tradition
2004 jeep Grand Cherokee

tporter

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a Jeep or if I need to haul something a 2006, Chevy 2500, HD, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, with the duramax engine. The 4x4s have the neutral switch for the transmission so all I have to do is push the button while the truck is in neutral, go back to park, and take the keys out. The truck has a brake system (due to weight) that works off of the motorhome air system. This takes an air line coming from the coach to a small air tank mounted in the engine compartment. From here the air line has a quik connect in the cab for the controller that pushes the brake pedal. It sounds like allot but is an easy system and works great. If you are interested in pictures I can send you some.
Our coach is a 2003, Fleetwood Discovery, 38' long, with a Cat c-7, 330HP motor. No problems stopping or starting although I can tell the additional weight is back there.

hipower

Western PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed my Silverado (2009) over 25,000 miles with no problems. It works exactly as others have stated. Key off, transmission in park, transfer case in neutral.

My only problem is my memory, sometimes I find it neccessary to pull out the owners manual to refresh my memory of the exact steps and sequence to put the transfer case in and out of gear. It's tough getting old(er). LOL

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GM crew cab long bed pickup is 21 feet and change, not 25 so it's not really that long. Not sure about the Ram because I couldn't find the dimensions but it's probably close to the same. With the tow bar the truck will be close to 25-26 so your overall length of 65 sounds about right. I'm thinking that with 1500 lbs of atvs and an aluminum bed a 1500 series truck will not cut it at all if you plan on having any capacity left over for passengers.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with a 3/4 ton in the Chevy or Dodge, I would think that if you bought it with a long bed (8'), you could put both quads in the back of the stock bed. One standing up and the other one on it's back. I just ordered a set of tailgate supports for my truck that will allow me to drive a Polaris RZR into the bed of my shortbed Chevy that I tow. The supports strengthen the tailgate so it doesn't drop when the rear wheels of the RZR are sitting on it during travel.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/12 02:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2010 Ram 2500 crewcab cummins is towable 4 down although I have not done it. This truck is huge and heavy but you can't beat a diesel for towing stuff. That flat bed option looks nice, not a fan of the rack on the top of the truck bed. I would test the Chevy and Dodge and compare the two.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flat towing question for full sized truck - Which one?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS