RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram "Long Hauler" Closer To Production???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram "Long Hauler" Closer To Production???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're totally content with our current 2006 GMC Sierra (see sig) that we only use to tow our 5'er with. In no way do we ever want to have to replace her. There's very little that could be done to improve her. And certainly the new trucks don't do anywhere near enough to warrant even considering replacing her.

HOWEVER!!! Having said that, I've been keeping my eye on the Ram concept truck, aka; the Ram "Long Hauler". We'd definitely have to consider buying that sucker. It does appear that consumer demand is there for the new 5500 mammoth pickup should Ram decide to build that gorgeous beast. Here's an exerpt those like me who are interested in the truck may find interesting. Here's to hoping Ram builds that sucker!!![emoticon]

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!![emoticon]

The following was published Septgember 12, 2012 by AUTOBLOG

The superjumbo Ram Long Hauler concept unveiled last year could see production if the Chrysler division’s boss has anything to say about it.

Autoblog reports that Ram Truck President and CEO Fred Diaz told reporters today that his team was trying to make a business case for the 24-foot-long all-wheel-drive dually after getting “absolutely staggering feedback from dealers on the concept.

The Class 5 hauler is a Ram 5500 Crew Cab that’s been converted into a four-door Mega Cab with an 8-foot bed and an oversized mid-mounted gas tank that combines with a second frame-mounted tank and a third auxiliary tank in the bed for a maximum capacity of 170 gallons. That gives the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine a range of around 1,700 miles per fill up.

Think New York to Los Angeles on one – very expensive – stop for gas.

Riding on a cush Kelderman Air Suspension, your kidneys might actually survive the trip.

With 800 lb-ft of torque, the 9,300-pound pickup has a gross combined weight rating of 37,500 pounds, making it just the thing for people who’s hobbies include car racing, boating and bringing rodeo horses everywhere they go.

No word on potential price, but the truck that it’s based on starts at around $60,000.

* This post was edited 11/28/12 02:11pm by crickeydog *

USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I bought my sig truck, I test drove a MegaCab that had the longbed conversion done on it. I LOVED it. I wanted an 8' bed, and I loved the MC. Truck was a little rough though. The extra cab room is leaps and bounds over my QC that I have now. If I could have found a MC I would have bought it but prices and truck condition kept shying me away from them on the used market.

Don't know what the cost of the longhauler would be; probably too much. I would still like to purchase a MC and do the longbed conversion, and have a lot of money left over for other things (like fuel).

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice truck. If it goes into production maybe I'll buy a couple and give you one....
Of course that's assuming I win the powerball tonight. [emoticon]

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They sure do look nice and nothing against the Ram 5500 but if I wanted to go that big I would opt for one of these.

[image]

Taller to keep the bugs off the cap and it will turn circles around the long hauler [emoticon]

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45Ricochet wrote:

They sure do look nice and nothing against the Ram 5500 but if I wanted to go that big I would opt for one of these.

[image]

Taller to keep the bugs off the cap and it will turn circles around the long hauler [emoticon]

x2

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

captainjohn2008

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45Ricochet wrote:

[image]

X2. I honestly don't get why people are so interested in this truck. A freightliner M2 or International 4400 would be far better. JMHO.

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captainjohn2008 wrote:

I honestly don't get why people are so interested in this truck. A freightliner M2 or International 4400 would be far better. JMHO.

And at $110k the M2 is better how?

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

lawnspecialties

Garner, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

170 gallons? 1700 miles per fill-up?

10 mpg? I put a 90 gallon auxiliary tank in my F450. It holds 125 gallons total and I know cruising the highway, I could get 1800-1900 miles.

Not bashing. I like the idea. But isn't that gearing a little overkill; especially seeing what its doing to the pocketbook at the pump.

And since when was New York to LA 1700 miles? Something's missing here.

2017 F450 Lariat 4X4 6.7L
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 40D12

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets see $100K for a TV, $75-100K for a 5`er! for $200K I could get a nice DP and a fuel efficient car to tow behind and site see with easily!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

captainjohn2008 wrote:

I honestly don't get why people are so interested in this truck. A freightliner M2 or International 4400 would be far better. JMHO.

And at $110k the M2 is better how?

Mav

Air seats for one, comparing a M2 to the long hauler is not really fair. Either you have a MDT or a want to be MDT.
Only draw back is no 4WD and that 10 speed tranny [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram "Long Hauler" Closer To Production???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS