RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Anyone familar with Damon Astoria??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Anyone familar with Damon Astoria??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gsf35099

Granite Shoals, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/12 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike and Trish wrote:

If you have the "Waldorf Edition" with full body paint, etc., you probably have a 600-watt inverter, according to this. Thor Motor Coach has a section on their site with archived brochures back to 2005 or so, and owner's manuals for some of those..

Thanks for letting me know about the info on Thor's web. I have been there several times and not noticed that. Unfortunately, I do not have the "Waldorf Edition" and I have now unplugged the shore power and made sure I had no AC power inside. Unless I have an inverter that I don't know hot to turn on, I don't have one. I still can't find the darn converter that I know is there.. I sent a few questions to the email link on the Thor website to see if I can get information on my unit by providing them the vin.
Thanks again.

Kaven
2005 Damon Astoria 38' DP
300 Cummins ISB, Allison auto 5 speed
Normally with 20' Vnose toy hauler in tow with Harley & Golf Cart.

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

capndan771

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/12 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had good success with dealing with Thor's website and most of my queries have been answered with a phone call from Thor. Scott Harris is an expert at customer service! Sorry to say that the back issues of the owners manuals, although available, are not much help in locating specific parts, only describing how they work. I think you are going to find that so many changes are made on the fly as new products become available that there is only a generic owners manual available. There doesn't seem to be a manual specific to your one model of coach. I don't mean this to be a slam against Thor as all manufacturers do the same. One model of coach will locate a specific brand of product in one spot, only to have the same model coach produced two months later with a different brand product located in a different spot. By providing the vin# to Thor, they can research your build plans and give you the info pertinent to your coach. Hang in there!

gsf35099

Granite Shoals, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/12 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capndan771 wrote:

By providing the vin# to Thor, they can research your build plans and give you the info pertinent to your coach. Hang in there!

Thanks, I'm sure I will eventually get what I need. Then I will start looking at upgrading with an inverter.

capndan771

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/12 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering why you feel the need for the inverter? It's a nice upgrade if you plan on boon docking but if you are utilizing campgrounds is there a need? It's a pricey addition unless you really plan on going without power a lot.

gsf35099

Granite Shoals, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I have been working with Thor and still have been unable to find my converter. Ugh.. They are working to try and find some additional drawings of similar RV's, but unable to find one for my year even off my vin#. I can't believe this thing is hidden. I have been in every compartment inside and out and it is not visible. This is driving me crazy. I even had a friend come look to make sure I wasn't just overlooking it. When I finally do find it, it will probably be right in front of me and would have bit me if it were a snake!!

HOFFCAMPER

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/13 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have the same year and model. The inverter is above the fresh water tank access it on the passenger side. There is a panel that you take of by unscrewing it and its right there above the water tank.

Bruce Hoggatt

home

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/13 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear you bought a Damon/thor piece of garbage,save your self years of trouble and trade it in.

Georgew48

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/13 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Hoggatt wrote:

Sorry to hear you bought a Damon/thor piece of garbage,save your self years of trouble and trade it in.

Could you please explain why you feel the need to come on here and bash a persons choice of RV when all they are asking is for some help locating an item. I just don't understand these type of responses.

2013 F150 EcoBoost CC 4x4 Platinum
2013 F350 Dulley King Ranch
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

JimM68

Yorkville, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/13 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce, I too have sometimes been guilty of voicing my opinions as fact in what many see as a rude manner. This often happens toward the tailend of a 2 margarita lunch. It's something I fight, when I remember. Sometimes I go back the next day and see what I typed and thnk "OMG what was I thinking?"

And while I agree that Thor / Damon are "entry level", thor is also nearly the largest RV manufacturer in the world. There are lots out there, including the OP, who stated more than once how much he and his DW liked their Astoria...

For the OP, you gotta find your converter. Check the manufacturer / model#, and go from there. It's gonna be fairly close to the coach batteries, and could be hidden behind an exterior panel that requires tools to remove. It could also be accessable through an interior panel below cabinets / fridge, or?
I'd guess such an access panel would be louvered.

Are you searching just to see what you have, or to look toward improving it?

Our first RV, a 1999 Pace Arrow, the converter was under the fridge and there was no factory inverter. I installed one to operate the entertainment systems, and considered it one of the best upgrades I did to that coach.

MH#2, the Knight, has a factory installed Magnum 2012me converter/inverter. This thing is a beast. 100 amp 3 stage charger. 2000 watt inverter with 2 separate 15 amp circuits and automatic transfer/bypass.

In the morning, we can and do run a hair dryer at the same time as the microwave and coffeepot. 25 miles down a gravel road from the nearest a/c hookup...

Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/13 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother has a 2005 Damon Astoria 36 ft. I just called him and he said his converter is in the bay that is forward of the battery compartment hanging on the right side of the bay wall behind a plastic cover. His battery bay is in front of the rear wheels on the passenger side so it's in the next one going towards the front (if yours is similar).

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate & tow bar.
2015 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 45 ft., 1 1/2 bath, 4 slide, 500 hp Volvo.
---------------------------------------------------------------
`

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Anyone familar with Damon Astoria??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: