|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> More 6.7 Ford HPFP fun

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well...I wonder if the entrance of Dieselsite.com into the Ford 6.7 fuel system protection business means someone other than disgruntled lunatics has seen the folly of the Bosch CP4 HPFP.

Dieselsite has introduced a new filter/water separator product specifically for the new 6.7 Fords. I find it quite interesting that the owner of a respected diesel accessory manufacturer developed this product after experiencing a water in fuel...no Ford warranty event on one of the principal owners personal truck.

His truck certainly saw water in the fuel. His no warranty verification parts clearly show what Ford claims as justifiable cause for warranty denial. His parts look nothing like mine...in fact my parts look like the "should look like this" pictures.

In his sales literature for the $700 system. he tells of how his truck bought the farm along with many other Ford 6.7's. His words, not mine. He details the costs associated with repairing the truck after the death of the HPFP...interesting...the Blue KoolAid boy's would like everyone to believe that only a very few select Ford 6.7 owners have ever seen this HPFP event and to worry about it happening to them is unnecessary hand wringing...

Here is a link to the discussion at one of the Ford sites:

Dieselsite fuel separator for Ford 6.7

There are a few over there asking about what the addition of this accessory will do with their warranty status...I agree completely with their concerns. However, a better question might be "why do we need to add this to our truck?...or why doesn't Ford provide a similar protection as standard equipment on a $50,000 truck...or better yet, why doesn't Ford take the high road that all other manufacturers using the Bosch CP4 HPFP are taking?...that road is the one that GM, VW and Audi use to repair all CP4 failures under warranty.

If I was keeping my POS 6.7 Ford, I would install one of these asap. The stock setup is worthless. Why worry about warranty coverage on the fuel system after installing the kit? If you are worried enough about the fuel system to spend $700 to protect it, does that not indicate you are worried that you already do not have a warranty?

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Separator Direct Link

I have been talking about fuel quality for some time, and the wonderful farm lobby and home brewers with their Federal and State law mandatory biofuel contamination in the fuel supply.

Wonder how much biofuel subsidy $10k of repairs a pop add up to?

Message to Bob Riley at Dieselsite:

Looked at your design and would suggest the following changes.

First, instead of the twin, I would consider dedicating one of the twin to the return line, where heated fuel is most likely to contain water that is separable rather than let it return to the cold tank, where it can become a emulsion again, filter it, then return it to tank where it is more likely to be completely dry.

Emulsions are hard for coalescing elements to separate, unless you are adding heat or centrifuging.

I would also do a measure of pressure drop induced by your filters, and if needs be, add an additional lift pump, then plumb a return line to bleed off some of the pressure and filter the tank independently of the fuel system.

While it is unconfirmed, there are reasons to believe the critical failure point may come from running the tank down to near empty on a long hot drive, when the tank fuel really heats up from fuel circulated, and with it, picks up the water that was formerly emulsified in the tank in a goo.

That would explain how it can go on and on, and a sudden onset of water that is partly emulsified that can run right through the existing coalescing system without even tripping the WIF light.

Further on forward (again subject to measurements of pressure drop acceptability) I would consider 2 micron filtration with a final coalescing filter as a last ditch defense.

Good work, appreciate your fine machining of the quick connects.

* This post was last edited 11/30/12 01:33pm by NewsW *   View edit history

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still laughing at the " drama queen" remark your younger brother used yesterday. How did you put it, whistling past the graveyard?
What exactly is the stock filters ratings and why no WIF lights? I still can't understand why Ford has such problems in filtration dating back to the casting sand. There was a easy fix and they did nothing.
I haven't looked at your link yet but I suppose it is something like these

[image]

OBTW these retail for $250, 2 micron and 24000 PSI, IIRC.

* This post was edited 11/30/12 01:55pm by 45Ricochet *

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know much about the HPFP failures but because Ricatic's failed without any evidence of water or any other contamination in the fuel and mine has pumped gasoline without causing any apparent damage, the problem must be that some of the pumps have some sort of manufacturing defect. If I have a pump with a manufacturing defect I hope it fails while the truck is under warranty so I at least stand a chance of getting it fixed on Ford's dime. If I was planning on keeping the truck for 10 years it might be different but as it stands I'll take my chances with leaving it stock.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets see $700 or $250.....for equipment that should be OE from Ford. I bet the water/debris causing the problems is OE from the factory.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I don't know much about the HPFP failures but because Ricatic's failed without any evidence of water or any other contamination in the fuel and mine has pumped gasoline without causing any apparent damage, the problem must be that some of the pumps have some sort of manufacturing defect. If I have a pump with a manufacturing defect I hope it fails while the truck is under warranty so I at least stand a chance of getting it fixed on Ford's dime. If I was planning on keeping the truck for 10 years it might be different but as it stands I'll take my chances with leaving it stock.

There was at least one batch of failures tied to a manufacturing problem.

jevanb

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not a 6.7 but that is the reason I installed a lift pump with extra filters and remove the factory filter and installed a CAT fuel filter, you can not have enough fuel filters on a common rail truck. All it takes is 1 bad tank and then you are living in a motel because your truck is in the dealership getting fixed and you are 2 days away from home and have another 2 to your destination, and no campground to stay in your RV, so the 670.00 lift pump is well worth it in the long run, plus the cat filter is 1/3 the price of a factory GM filter so I can change them every other oil change or 6k miles

2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Factory Fix

onekg

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On goes the one man rant to destroy Ford..Good Luck

2011 Ford F-350 DRW KR
2015 Lifestyle

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Factory Fix

That was pretty funny but where was Sergio?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> More 6.7 Ford HPFP fun
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS