|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F450 PSD.. differential rebuild

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ephrata WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2003, dually, 120+k miles. Recent differential fluid additive for 'clunk.'

As I was coming into the Q today I started hearing a whiney, sort of airy, faint grinding noise coming from behind me. Not very loud or horrible sounding, just a noise I'd never heard before. It seemed to start about 45 mph and get slightly louder up to 55.

I got off the freeway and checked everything.. tires, engine, RV.. then I examined the differential (rear). It's been leaking grease (but it's always done that) but I felt the area where the driveline comes in and it was pretty hot. The whole pumpkin was warm, but that front part was hot. Not finger-burning hot, but you wouldnt' want to hold your hand there very long. I checked the diesel forum and running warm doesn't seem to be too unusual, but the sound is new and that worries me.

I checked the fluid, and it doesn't seem low. You can put a finger in there and get grease. I've emailed my mechanic, and was also wondering what the experts on here think.

* This post was last edited 01/02/13 06:03pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the input is getting hot, probably time to re-do the pinion bearing. Not a DIY job.

I'd recommend biting the bullet and doing a complete freshening:
http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Yukon_Master_Overhaul_Kit_p/yk%20ds135.htm

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

2oldman

Ephrata WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should I be stopping driving this truck at any speed for any reason?

I gotta really bite the bullet and get rid of it. The tranny can't be far behind.

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford sales an additive for the diff, its cheap 7-8$ a bottle and you need to add 2 of them. Sometimes the clutches in the rearend stick and it makes the noise. Try that before takeing into the shop, after puting it in the rear end find a parking lot and drive in figure 8 formations and it works the clutches and allows the additive to do its job. Good luck

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Should I be stopping driving this truck at any speed for any reason?

I gotta really bite the bullet and get rid of it. The tranny can't be far behind.

Well if the bearings get too hot you'll spin them. This potentially could cause other damage. But the pinion cone has to be replaced anyways anytime it comes out. I would avoid driving it long distances. Basically, avoid getting it too hot to touch. You can probably drive in town all day, but freeway driving, especially with a trailer, can build up heat fast.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills250psd wrote:

Ford sales an additive for the diff, its cheap 7-8$ a bottle and you need to add 2 of them. Sometimes the clutches in the rearend stick and it makes the noise. Try that before takeing into the shop, after puting it in the rear end find a parking lot and drive in figure 8 formations and it works the clutches and allows the additive to do its job. Good luck

If it is clutch noise, you will only hear it when turning. If it makes noise while going straight, it is un-related to the clutch packs.

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Wills250psd wrote:

If it is clutch noise, you will only hear it when turning. If it makes noise while going straight, it is un-related to the clutch packs.
You know what, you are right I am wrong. Boy that was hard to admit.[emoticon]

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Bryan, if only at the input shaft area, the pinion bearing is going
and while there, redo the whole thing.

Really need to find the root cause, as if you do not and rebuild, it might fail again

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MM49

Brighton, MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

2003, dually, 120+k miles. Recent differential fluid additive for 'clunk.'

As I was coming into the Q today I started hearing a whiney, sort of airy, faint grinding noise coming from behind me. Not very loud or horrible sounding, just a noise I'd never heard before. It seemed to start about 45 mph and get slightly louder up to 55.

I got off the freeway and checked everything.. tires, engine, RV.. then I examined the differential (rear). It's been leaking grease (but it's always done that) but I felt the area where the driveline comes in and it was pretty hot. The whole pumpkin was warm, but that front part was hot. Not finger-burning hot, but you wouldnt' want to hold your hand there very long. I checked the diesel forum and running warm doesn't seem to be too unusual, but the sound is new and that worries me.

I checked the fluid, and it doesn't seem low. You can put a finger in there and get grease. I've emailed my mechanic, and was also wondering what the experts on here think.
At a 120K the chances that you have a diff problem is remote. Check all of the supporting hardware. breaks, u-joints and change the diff oil if it is a limited slip. You might have an axle bearing going bad, but the symptom would be differnt. Don't worry about rear end heat. After a pull most rear diffs will heat up 190F is not uncommon.
MM49

2oldman

Ephrata WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mechanic said it sounds like something is "coming apart" and he wanted to remove the rear cover and have a look.

MM49 wrote:

at a 120K the chances that you have a diff problem is remote. Check all of the supporting hardware. breaks, u-joints and change the diff oil if it is a limited slip. You might have an axle bearing going bad, but the symptom would be differnt. Don't worry about rear end heat. After a pull most rear diffs will heat up 190F is not uncommon.

That's somewhat of a relief.. thanks. I guess an axle bearing wouldn't be good either! This truck has worked hard for most of its life and is really starting to show it. It was just at the shop a few weeks ago for oil leaks (that are not supposed to happen) and at the same time I wanted the "clunk" looked at. The mechanic determined that it was the pinion and added some stuff to try and quiet it down. Did nothing. Just thought I'd mention that in case it's of any help.

I always thought the clunk sounded more like a u-joint, and maybe that's it, finally coming apart. I'll check that tomorrow.

Right now I'm in Quartzsite and I'm not familiar with any mechanics here, or if I should even chance having work done here. I'm 120 miles from my regular guy, and I'm sorely tempted to drive it bareback at 45mph with my flashers on. Yeah, probably a dumb idea. Tomorrow I'll start pricing a tow.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F450 PSD.. differential rebuild
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS