|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> power inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dale1946

Avon, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To power an A/C unit 13,500 BTU what size power inverter does one need and how many house battery. What type of power inverter and battery do us need also?

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000w inverter, 6 golf car batteries.

But you won't be able to do this for more than about 1/2 hour. Forget it.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Four 8D 12 volt AGM batteries wired in a balanced manner and a 2000 watt inverter--preferably pure sine wave. The problem is, even if you can run the air conditioner for a while, that the battery bank needs to be recharged.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

jhilley

Buxton, ND

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

2000w inverter, 6 golf car batteries.

But you won't be able to do this for more than about 1/2 hour. Forget it.

And even that might not start the AC. You will need to use a generator to run you AC. If you don't want to use the on board generator, look at inverter models from honda, Yamaha and others.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, not all 2000W inverters will be happy with that continuous high amp draw either. Some have reported burning theirs up running the A/C. You'll need a high quality, beefy inverter.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part it is not feesable to run an ac unit with battery power through an inverter without a tremendously large battery bank.
One would need to run the genny or be hooked to shore power.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi harold,

Do give us an example of a destroyed (quality) inverter. I load mine up with well over 1500 watts (continuous) on a regular basis and have done so since May 2009. It is true mine is a MSW inverter (rated for use with electric motors) and also true that it can only do 2500 watts for thirty minutes. The only item that troubles my inverter is the 1591 watt microwave. Sometimes I have to turn on something else first, to "wake up" the inverter.

Actually 2 group 31 12 volt AGM batteries could run an air conditioner. Just not for very long, and there is still the recharge issue, no matter what the bank size is.

I am assuming proper gauge wiring in a balanced manner on the DC side of the equation and a modern 13500 air conditioner (mine draws 960 watts)

If the OP wants to do it a 3000 watt Go Power pure sine wave unit may be a better choice than a 2000 watt.

* This post was edited 12/18/12 05:04pm by pianotuna *

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot easier to run the gen set for the AC unit than run it to recharge the batteries every 30 minutes. An inverter is simply no designed for this application.

Your AC unit needs ~13 amps at 120 VAC...this means you need to supply 150 amps from the batteries minimum. So, even will 1500 AH of battery capacity it would only take 30 minutes to discharge than to 50%.

Let's see, 1500 AH with 230 AH batteries, you would need 8 than recharging at 100 amps would take ~10 hours or so. Doesn't pencil in my book. Just run the gen set for AC and same a whole lot of bother.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not understand why anyone would imply it is possible "for a while". You would be risking destroying the batteries, ac compressor, inverter, or all of the above.
Do not attempt to do so, even with 4 8D AGM batteries.

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi harold,

Do give us an example of a destroyed (quality) inverter. I load mine up with well over 1500 watts (continuous) on a regular basis and have done so since May 2009. It is true mine is a MSW inverter (rated for use with electric motors) and also true that it can only do 2500 watts for thirty minutes. The only item that troubles my inverter is the 1591 watt microwave. Sometimes I have to turn on something else first, to "wake up" the inverter.

Actually 2 group 31 12 volt AGM batteries could run an air conditioner. Just not for very long, and there is still the recharge issue, no matter what the bank size is.

I am assuming proper gauge wiring in a balanced manner on the DC side of the equation and a modern 13500 air conditioner (mine draws 960 watts)

If the OP wants to do it a 3000 watt Go Power pure sine wave unit may be a better choice than a 2000 watt.

I am not aware of any charger that would be able to recharge a battery bank fast enough supply power to run an ac.

The OP never stated the size of the battery bank or the size and make of the inverter, so everything in you statemant is only guesswork.

Guess I would have to agree that it may be possible to do for a very limited time if one were willing to risk the consequences.

Quality inverters come in all ratings from 300 watts up. The wattage is not a measure of quality. I did not say it would destroy the inverter. I listed it as any of three possible items that could be destroyed.
Without the knowledge of the onboard equipment I would not indicate one should even try. To do so is giving bad advice.

How long can you run your ac with your 875 AH battery bank?
Amps x Volts + watts, do the math.

* This post was last edited 12/18/12 06:05pm by harold1946 *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> power inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS